17 | The Sky's the Limit

[ Y/N ]

"Rise and shine or I'm dropping you."

I opened my eyes to be met with bright sunlight and crisp air, loose strands of hair blowing into my face and my lips more cracked than ever. When was the last time I drank water?

"Wha—why are you carrying me?" I asked, tightening my arms around G's vertebrae and lifting my head to look at our surroundings.

We were crossing through the valleys in between the towering mountains around us, the vibrant green grass blowing softly in the wind while clouds moved through the sky like waves in an ocean. The temperature was a comfortable cold with a light breeze and the smell of . . . was that honeysuckle? I couldn't see any trees or plants other than grass in sight, but wherever we were in the mountains was beautiful nonetheless.

"Well, you slept like a rock last night and when I tried to wake you six hours ago you threatened to cut me," G answered, hefting me higher on his back. "I did? I don't remember that." He laughed and craned his neck back to look at me. "You were half-asleep, of course you don't remember."

I let out a small "hm" in response before noticing that I had my jacket tied around my waist and my boots and bag back on. The shirt I had gotten yesterday warmed up my body and smelled nice—like hydrangeas. I used one arm to tighten the sleeves of my jacket around my waist before wrapping my arm back around G's neck and resting my chin on his shoulder, my H/L H/C hair covering my neck and shoulders.

"How far have you walked?" I asked, looking up and watching the clouds pass by. "Well, I teleported a few miles back to a mountain peak that I had seen in the distance, so that's about, like, what? Seven miles?" My eyes widened and I looked down at him. "You walked seven miles in six hours? Impressive." G nodded and smirked at me. "It's a lot easier to travel without you complaining every ten minutes." I glared at him and rested my chin back on his shoulder. "You better be glad that I can't exactly move my legs, 'cause if I could, you wouldn't even have a leg anymore."

G let out a laugh and jumped, making me shriek in surprise before clinging to his neck while he laughed even more. "You stop that!" I shouted at him, lightly hitting the top of his skull. "Make me," he taunted, jumping again. I scowled and wrapped my arms tighter around his neck to try and choke him. But of course, I realized too late that skeletons don't even have esophaguses.

I've been racking up a lot of stupidity points lately.

"You bonehead," I mumbled, furrowing my brow before relaxing my hold around his neck. "The one and only," he responded with a lopsided grin, making me smile back even when I tried not to. What? Smiles are really contagious.

"Can you put me down?" I asked, starting to feel my legs fall asleep. G stopped and let go of my legs, letting me almost fall to the ground before getting my balance and standing up straight. "How many miles are left 'till we get to the fields?" G sucked in a small breath and stuffed his hands into his jean pockets. "About that . . . we've actually been heading north-west instead of north for the past five miles which—" "WHAT?" He put his hands up in defense. "Wait! It's okay! We'll just have to go through a forest and then we'll get to the fields."

I sighed and rubbed the back of my neck. "Oh, well, that's not too bad," I finally said. "Sorry for overreacting, like, all the time." I let out a chuckle and stuffed my hands in my pant pockets, wishing that G didn't have a photographic memory. Now he'll remember all my mistakes and tease me about them. "Nah, you don't overreact. It's kinda amusing watching you freak out though."