34 | So This is Love

[ G ]

"Sorry for holding your hand all day," I said as I rubbed my thumb against Y/N's skin, loving the feeling of her hand in mine.

After we had all broken up from our giant group hug, we had had this huge party that lasted all day in one of the larger cities. I hadn't let go of Y/N's hand at all during that time, and she seemed to not mind at all.

She snorted and squeezed my hand in her's before swinging our linked arms back and forth. "I'm not complaining." I smiled at her before stepping into the elevator and pushing the button that went to my suite, hearing the small ding! before the elevator shot up. Y/N moved closer to me with a strange look on her face as she glanced around the elevator uneasily.

"What's wrong?" She shook her head as the elevator dinged again and opened its' doors. "Nothing, just reminds me of stuff." I frowned, wondering what she meant by that. We both stepped out of the elevator and into my suite, my face twisting into a strange expression when I noticed that all the papers and books were still strewn around the room.

Y/N's eyes widened as she looked around at the mess, her eyes finally coming to rest on the piece of paper that had all the Monster Capital torture methods listed. She cringed when she spotted the words "Soul Shocking" written on the paper.

"Sorry about the mess. I, uh, didn't have enough time to clean up," I said sheepishly while my mind flashed back to a few hours before. Lavender had come racing into my suite to tell me that everyone was back, and I had teleported down at the tree line without a second thought.

She waved her hand in the air to brush off the apology before moving to pick up everything off of the couch. "Nah, you're fine. This place would probably be messier if I was in your situation."

She let out a small chuckle that didn't quite come out right, and we both stood in an awkward silence before I broke it with a small cough. "I'll get you some clothes real quick. There's plenty of food in the fridge, and uh . . . yeah, I'll—I'll be right back." I quickly shuffled away into the bedroom before mentally slapping myself for being awkward.

I opened the wardrobe and pulled out a smaller grey sweatshirt and a pair of sweats that looked a bit too big. I'm sure she wouldn't mind. I looked down at my wrists and hesitated before slipping off the left bracelet and adding it to the sweatshirt and sweatpants. I looked around the bedroom and pursed my boney lips, seeing the wrinkled sheets and mess of even more books and papers.

I hesitated before walking back out of the bedroom, but immediately stopped after taking a step out of the doorway.

Y/N sat on the couch rolling her palms together while staring out the huge floor-to-ceiling window and down below over the entire Persistence base. Moonlight leaked through the holes in the cavern as night washed over the base, the lights of the towns and cities below starting to dim while others' glowed even brighter. Traffic sounds came from below as large shipment trucks and small vehicles raced around through the base from one destination to another.

The moonlight made Y/N's skin bright as she stared out the window, causing the scars that were all over her skin to practically glow. My eye sockets widened as I stared at the scars all along her arms and collarbone. Why hadn't I noticed those earlier?

I rushed over to the couch and tossed the clothes I was holding onto a cushion behind me before taking Y/N's arm and staring at all the scars. There were dozens. Up and down. I grabbed her other arm and winced, seeing even more deep and big ones. "Who did this to you?" I asked quietly, my gaze traveling to her collarbone where little etched scars decorated her skin.