42 | The Monster Capital

[ Y/N ]

I gripped onto G's arm as me, him, Conner, Lavender, Alphys, and Undyne stood at the edge of the box car. The rest of the Persistence had jumped off before us, including the twenty in our car, so it was just us six left. Lavender grabbed my wrist with one hand and Conner's in the other, bending her legs to get ready to jump. "On three!" she called over the howling wind. I bent my legs next to her before glancing to the side and seeing the whole Persistence grouping up a few hundred feet away to our left. "One . . . two . . ."

She tugged Conner and I forward right before shouting "Three!", causing everyone else to jump forward and hit the ground. My arms shot up to cover my head as I rolled forward before stopping a few feet away from everyone else on my back. Alphys groaned from somewhere beside me, and I couldn't help but agree with her.

"Well, guess we can add that we jumped off a moving train twice in less than year to our bucket list," I joked out as I propped myself up. G snorted somewhere to my right. Lavender shook her head in amusement before pushing herself to her feet and brushing off her black clothing. "Let's hurry and regroup with the others. We have to make it to the Monster Capital sometime this afternoon." We all nodded and jogged after her, the sun just now starting to rise to our right.

Once we reached up with the group, Lavender started shouting commands for everyone to start walking north where the Monster Capital lay eleven miles from where we stood at the edge of a forest. Thank goodness we were so close. And in less than five minutes, the entire MC sector of the Persistence started marching north, our dark clothes making us look like shadows as we hugged the tree line.

After about two hours, I started to get antsy. I hopped from foot to foot as we walked and let out a breath of air while shaking my hands to try and relieve my nerves. G smirked in my direction. "You dancin'?" I turned and gave him a look. "Yup. That's totally what I'm doing. You should join me." He snickered and shook his skull before reaching down to finger one of the swinging black suspenders that he refused to leave behind. "Nah, I'm good. You have fun, though." I rolled my eyes and looked around at our surroundings to try and distract my mind.

I found that I could do that easily, which I was extremely grateful for. That's probably why I never made the highest grades in school. I never paid attention. The stuff they taught us was boring and superfluous. Like, when am I ever going to use the quadratic formula? Or know who the sixteenth president of the United States was? Or even know how the difference between protons and electrons mattered? Sure, I could probably do all that stuff, but what's the use?

I blinked.

See? Told you I could always distract myself easily.

Alphys and Undyne were chatting a few feet in front of G and I, and I couldn't help noticing that they're hands were laced together. The sight made me smile, so I bumped G's shoulder and pointed toward them to see his reaction. He saw their laced hands and a smile similar to mine reached his face. "Huh, who knew a war would finally bring those two lovebirds together," he whispered to me. I hummed in agreement before reaching over and lacing my fingers with his', a smug grin reaching my face when I glanced over to see that he was blushing.

Who's the flirtatious one now?

"Alright," Lavender called from the front of the Persistence. "The Monster Capital lays just beyond this field. We'll camp out for the next few hours about two hundred yards away from the treeline until leaving at dusk to do this thing." The whole Persistence let out whoops of excitement as we all quickened our pace.

• • •

"You sure you're ready for this?" Lavender asked with a concerned tone in her voice. I brushed hair out of my face as I looked up at her and nodded. "We'll be fine, don't worry you're pretty little head off." She let out a breathy chuckle that wasn't very convincing. "Hey." I reached over and placed my hand over her's. "Everything is going to turn out alright, 'kay?"