22 | Spell T-O-R-T-U-R-E

[ Y/N ]

"Hey, please wake up," a small voice urged as my shoulder was shaken frantically. I opened one of my eyes and looked up to see Frisk staring down at me with a relieved expression on their face. They hugged me tightly and buried their face into my shoulder while I lay there in confusion. "Where are . . . ?" I sat up and looked around, only to see whitewashed walls and iron bars.

"No," I whispered, my eyes landing on the wall in our cell that had hundreds of tally marks scraped into it. My arms wrapped tightly around Frisk's small body as they started to cry. "I'm sorry you had to get caught too," they muttered, "you should've just left me so that you would still be free." I hugged them tightly and shook my head. "Don't say that." I rubbed their back while looking around our cell.

There was a bunk bed in the corner with no blankets or pillows, just mattresses. A mirror stood next to it above a sink that looked too rusty to properly work. The floors were a cold cement that chilled me to the bone, making me wish I was laying in one of the bunk beds instead of on the floor. A pain in my hands made me look down to see that my hands had healed at an odd shape, the fingers bent and bones pulled back to make a grotesque look.

Fan-fucking-tastic.

Frisk pulled away and wiped their eyes before looking around the cell with a sad smile. "Home sweet home." I looked back over at the tally mark wall and cringed. "How long have you been here?" I asked while standing up and walking over to the tally mark wall. Frisk shuffled after me and pointed to a number at the very bottom of the wall. "Seven hundred and twelve days," they mumbled. I took a step back and stared all the way up at the ceiling where hastily scratched marks decorated the top of the wall.

"You've been here for almost two years?" I asked slowly. Frisk nodded. "I was one of the first here." They sniffled and wiped their nose. "Apparently, a title such as 'Human Ambassador' doesn't get you much protection." I pursed my lips before turning away from the tally mark wall and looking down at my hands. I'd have to break them again and set them so that they would heal properly.

I turned back to Frisk who was still staring at the tally mark wall. "Frisk," I said, catching the small child's attention. "What is it?" I looked over at the bunk beds and pointed my hand at them. "Could you go over there and cover your ears please? And your eyes too." A look of confusion washed over Frisk's face before they looked at my hands and realized what I was about to do. "Wait! I can help with that!" they said quickly before running over to the bunk bed and lifting up the top mattress. They pulled something out before stumbling back down and rushing over to me.

They gave me the object they had pulled out, and I smiled when I saw that it was a roll of bandages and a box of colorful band aids. "Thank you." Frisk smiled and grabbed my wrists, pulling me towards the bunk bed where they made me sit down on the bottom mattress. "What are you gonna do?" I asked as I watched them start to roll out the bandages. "My goat mom taught me how to heal broken bones, since I had broken I few when I fell into the Underground a few years ago," Frisk explained as they grabbed one of my hands and started to rub near the inside of my palm.

Instantly, my hand started to numb as Frisk continued to press and rub near my palm, soon making my entire hand feel like it didn't exist. "You can do that?" I asked, staring in wonder at my hand as Frisk started to slowly move the bones around so that they would pop back into their place. I couldn't feel a thing. "It's a simple trick, really," Frisk said, their tone filled with pride. A few minutes later and my hand had been set with the thick bandages and colorful band aids that Frisk had insisted would make me feel better. And a few more minutes later, and my other hand had been set.