12 | Snow is Lethal

[ Y/N ]

"Hey, um, is it s'posed to be snowing?"

Currently, G and I were traveling across a huge lake on one of his Gaster Blasters, the map we had gotten from the Persistence laid out on top of the hard bone with flecks of snow and water on it.

G looked back at me from the front of the Gaster Blaster before glancing up with a confused look. "Well, uh, we are traveling north and it is getting near November. I guess I shouldn't be surprised," he answered, pulling his jacket hood over his skull. I shifted in my spot behind him and laid back so that we were back-to-back while I held up the map.

Squiggles and marks were made to the thick paper from my attempts of trying to find the quickest, bestest, and safest route for us to travel. Unfortunately, it seemed that that route would take us over a huge lake, through a deep mountain range, across a large field, have us hitch a ride to the shipment train depot on the shipment train, where we would then have to steal some sort of vehicle and make the forty mile trip to the Monster Capital.

Simple, right?

I sighed and put the map back in my bag, looking up at the cloudy sky and watching the ever growing snowflakes rain down on us. My hair whipped past my face and pricked the corners of my eyes, making me growl in annoyance before turning around and stuffing my face into the back of G's jacket hood.

"What are you doing?" he asked, not bothering to turn around. "Trying to get comfortable," I responded, pulling the collar of my new jacket closer to my neck while wishing Tyler had sewn in a hood. G made a "Hmph" sound before reaching back an arm and pulling me in front of him, setting me down between his pulled up legs and resting his non-existent chin on top of my snow-covered head.

"What are you doing?" I asked, glancing up at G and giving him a look. "Trying to get comfortable," he responded, looking down and giving me a smirk. A small smile spread across my lips as I rolled my eyes and sank into his chest, thankful for the protection from the cold.

It was better up here in the front where I could see the scenery flash by, the lake below us shimmering in the afternoon sunlight while birds of different species fished down in the dark waters. Every now and then, I would see a flash of silver or pink from fish that were daring enough to break the surface of the cold water for a bit of sunshine—only to result in them becoming dinner to several attentive and quick birds. I let out a small chuckle when I saw one bird drop the fish it had been carrying in its mouth and let out a cry of anguish as it watched its food splash back into the lake.

"So, let's start with some conversation topics," G said suddenly, hunching his back a bit so that he sat more comfortably. "Okay, how 'bout we review the plan again?" G shrugged. "If you want." He shifted a bit more and wrapped his arms loosely around my pulled up knees, his body going slightly limp making his head feel heavier on top of mine.

"So, the plan is that once we finish crossing this god damn lake, we'll find some shelter for the night before waking up early and taking a Gaster Blaster to the mountain range. Once we get there, we'll have to travel through the mountains on foot due to the incapability to travel through air because of the elevation. We'll probably end up being in the mountains for two days tops, and the mountains have caves all over them, so we're good on shelter for that. After we finally make it out of the mountains, we'll take a Gaster Blaster through the fields before traveling five miles through the woods and towards a break in the tracks where the Human Capital shipment train comes through every—what, Friday?"

I nodded.

"Okay, so we'll hitch that train for the next day or so before getting off at the depot where we'll have to somehow find and steal a vehicle—preferably a motorcycle with low mileage and a full tank of gas. Then after getting through all of that, we'll sneak into the Monster Capital and break out my brother." I raised my hand. "I have a question." G looked down at me. "Yes?" "Do we have a plan for sneaking into the Monster Capital." He stared at me for a good five seconds before looking up in defeat. "No," he admitted, hunching his back even more. "But we'll make one on the train." I shrugged. "Fine with me."