04 | Here Doggy Doggy

[ Y/N ]

The forest canopy towered over my head, the small beams of sunlight showering down on the forest floor in little dancing dots of light. The air was some sort of mix between humidity and the cold with a small film of fog lingering around near the ground. Animal and bug noises filled the air with their annoying chatter that made me want to bash my head against a tree trunk to stop the sounds. The forest was more like a rainforest to be honest.

"So, where exactly is the Monster Capital?" I asked, desperate to drown out the sounds of nature with any kind of conversation. "Eh, about two-hundred 'n something miles from here to the North. It's located in one of the old human cities called New York or something like that."

New York, huh?

"Oh, I've been to New York a few times before the war. There were a bunch of bright neon signs and people there, the whole city in a constant state of bustling and rushing. It was cool, the shops and stores holding all sorts of knick-knacks and clothing. The vendor food was awful but the restaurants were nice," I babbled.

"So New York was a popular city?" G asked, using a bone to cut away a bunch of large wet leaves. He actually seemed genuinely curious. It was a bit strange since I had only seen his hateful side so far. "Yeah, it seemed that every popular idea or fancy product that was made in America came from there or some other city." G nodded as he took in the information.

"Huh, so when you say neon signs . . ." I gave G a look. "You've never seen neon signs?" He shook his head. "I've heard of them, I just don't know what they look like." My eyes widened in shock before a smile spread across my lips. "Well let me tell you about them, I actually know a lot about how they work since I studied different chemical properties in school."

I started describing what neon signs were and what they looked like, telling G that they had bright colors that glow like a lamplight to attract attention to different places. I told him that they were mostly used for pubs and casinos but could also be used for popular industries and businesses.

The conversation soon turned to how they were made and how humans had managed to make portable neon sticks that were named "glow sticks." G was a good listener and would always put in a comment here and there, asking questions and thinking out loud of different things about neon signs and other human creations.

"How do those spinny things work? You know, the giant ones that are always grouped together in fields?" "You mean wind turbines? Those were created as a type of natural energy source like solar and water energy. They were made for the purpose of replacing fossil fuels when they eventually ran out," I answered, pleased at his fascinated look.

"Solar energy? You're able to take the energy from the sun?" he asked, shocked at how humans were able to do such a thing. I nodded with a smile. "Yeah, humans made these things called solar panels to—" I stopped, my feet refusing to move as my eyebrows furrowed together. G had stopped as well, his face twisted into concentration as he noticed the same thing I did.

Where did all the forest sounds go?

I glanced over at G before my eyes started scanning around us, landing on anything that moved or made sound. My knife was in my hand and ready to swing, my muscles tense and my attention alert.

My eyes widened when I heard growling to my right and I whipped around to face the noise just as a pack of wild dogs jumped out of the bushes with their teeth bared. They stalked toward us, bloodlust in their dark black eyes.

I stood frozen in fear, a whimper escaping my lips as the mutts starting to run towards me. I could hear shouting behind me but my ears wouldn't function like most of my body, my fear of dogs starting to overpower me. I felt a skeletal hand grab my wrist and tug me away from the running dogs, causing me to snap out of my daze and sprint away with G from the barking mutts through the forest.