38 | Let's Get Down to Business

[ Y/N ]

"Frisk! Be careful up there!" I yelled while frantically watching Frisk race Sammy up the giant rock climbing wall in the training room. Sammy let out a loud whoop as he slammed his hand on the bell at the top. "I win!" he cheered before jumping back and letting the rope pull him down. "No fair! You tripped me at the start!" Frisk complained while hitting their bell and jumping down after Sammy.

I ran to catch them before the rope could bring them all the way down, my mind feeling the need to protect them at all costs after all that the two of us had been through. Frisk giggled as they slowly dropped into my arms. "Why do you always do that? I'm fine." I shrugged and set them down before unclipping their harness and pulling it off of them. "I dunno, guess it's just sibling instincts."

Frisk let out a loud "aw!" behind me before struggling to reach up and hug me. I chuckled and hoisted them up into my arms right as Lavender opened the door to the training room and walked in. "There you are! I knew you'd be in here," Lavender said while walking over to where we stood by the rock climbing wall. Frisk jumped out of my arms and ran over to Lavender. "He cheated at rock climbing!" they complained as Sammy let out an evil giggle.

I snickered at them both before grabbing a dumbbell to put it back up on the rack. "Have you been working out?" Lavender asked while watching Frisk and Sammy race over to the large black playing mat. "Yeah, Undyne's been helping me get back into shape." I rubbed my shoulder painfully. "It's been a pretty exhausting two days." Lavender chuckled and stuffed her hands into her jean pockets.

"Hey, uh, I think it's time for you and G to come down and help us work out the timing and stuff for when we'll storm in on the Monster and Human Capital," Lavender said while shifting her weight from foot-to-foot. I raised an eyebrow at her before shrugging. "'Bout time. G and I have started betting on when you'd come down and ask us." I grinned. "Looks like he owes me five bucks." Lavender shook her head in amusement. "You two are a mess, you know that?"

I rolled my eyes with a smile. "So when should we head over to Katherine's study?" Lavender pulled a hand out of her pocket and looked at the watch on her wrist. "Say . . . three o' clock? We should have everything organized by then." I nodded and rolled the sleeves up on my green sweatshirt before walking over to the doors and pulling them open.

"See you then!" I called before walking out and letting the doors to the training room slam behind me.

• • •

"Y/N, I am not giving you five dollars." "We made a deal, so pay up." G gave me a look. "I'm broke." I raised an eyebrow and crossed my arms. "Well then who's fault is that? Pay up, buttercup." He sighed before dropping four dollars into my open palm. I let out a breath. "You're one dollar short." "Does it matter?"

The elevator doors dinged open before I could reply, shutting us both up as we shuffled out of the elevator and into a huge study that had the words "modern" and "ancient" written all over it.

A basketball sized globe sat on a birch wood desk that had neat and messy stacks of papers and files sitting on top of it. A modern looking black foldable couch sat near a wall that held old history textbooks and atlases on its shelves. Above the desk hung a kaleidoscope arrangement of colorful pieces of wine, beer, and moonshine bottles. An old looking grey rug lay on the dark redwood flooring that had some threads sticking up along the edges. Two other birch wood desks sat against the wall with overflowing papers sitting on top of it with messy handwriting that I could barely read.

"Woah," I breathed out, reaching over and brushing my fingers against the ivory wood doorframe that was chipped to perfection with different swirly and spiral designs. "Woah is right," G agreed next to me while staring up at the painted ceiling that had a colored mural of the entire continent of North America.