Part-39

Chapter 39

Riley's POV

The Next Day, I was preparing for the surgery I'm going to lead. My pager buzzed. I looked at the time and it's 8:00 am.

Oh, fuck! Hope Dr.Wilson doesn't kill me. I practically ran to her office. And knocked on the door. "Come in" I went in.

"Where were you?" She asked without looking up. "I'm sorry, I was preparing for the surgery and didn't notice the time"

"Which method are you going to use for the surgery?" That took me off guard.

"As it is the case of aortic stenosis (a condition in which an artery is narrowed) so, I'm thinking about using aortic valve replacement method"

"That will be suitable for it. Show me the case file you've prepared" she said.

"Can I go get the file?" I asked. "Go" I went to the on-call room as I stayed the night and was studying in here. I took my things and went to Dr.Wilson's office.

As I went in, she got up from her chair and went to sit on the couch. And the memories from the last time I sat there came rushing to my mind.

My cheeks reddened a little. I shook my head and went to sit beside her. I looked at Dr.Wilson and she was smiling.

I decided to ignore it. I gave the file to Dr.Wilson. She went through it and we discussed the surgery for the next 2 hours. She really helped me.

"That's it, I hope you get through the surgery without making a fool of yourself," she said.

I chose to ignore it "Thanks for helping me" I said and walked out of her office.

I really can't take it. How in the world I fell this hard for her? I went to the restroom and washed my face. After that I went to make rounds.

                      (Time Skip)

Today, is the day of my surgery. I went in the O.R. Took a deep breath. I looked up and Dr.Wilson was looking at me waiting for me to start the surgery.

I started the surgery. Everything was going well when all of a sudden an artery burst.

"Clamp the artery" Dr.Wilson said.

"But I can't see anything because of blood" I said.

"Try to remember, where it is. You've assisted me thousand of times in this surgery".

I nodded and tried to find it through touch. I found it and clamped the artery. " Suction" I said.

I looked up and saw Dr.Wilon smiling. This brought a smile on my face. I turned my focus back to surgery and the rest of the surgery went uneventful.

After the surgery was finished I walked out of the O.R and the director was standing there. "Hello, sir" I greeted.

"Hello, I saw the whole surgery and it was terrific. Wilson was right about you" He said smiling satisfied.

"Dr.Wilson was right?" I asked confused. "Yeah, she's the one who suggested me to let you lead in this surgery and she was right"

"Oh" was all I could say. "You didn't know about it?" He asked curiously.

"No, sir I didn't".

"You must have really impressed her, for her to recommend you".

I just smiled.

"I think you need it so here's a piece of advice, I've known this woman for years and one thing I've noticed is she hides her emotions by arrogance, stubbornness and rudeness. But once you see past it, you see the real her and she is one of most genuine person you'll ever find" he said smiling and walked away.

I turned around and saw Dr.Wilson talking to the patient's family. I smiled looking at her. And somehow she noticed me admiring her and looked in my direction and I immediately walked away.

I was walking smiling when someone said "Someone's looking happy today".

I turned around and it was Anna.

"Yeah, the surgery was a success" I said smiling widely. "Congrats, but somehow I don't think it's the only reason for that smile"

"I don't know what you're talking about?" I said feigning ignorance.

"Oh, I bet you do" she said.

Suddenly, an idea click inside of me and I said "Do you have a minute? I wanna talk about something"