Chapter Twenty-Five: Saving Innocence

My feet treaded at a fast pace against the softened earth. I could smell the cleanliness of the air due to the rain we had been receiving lately this wasn’t a surprise to me. I ran in the damp night air. Not running from anything in particular it was simply an attempt to keep everything off of my mind. Needless to say it wasn’t working very well. I was running in the night alone. Thor insisted that he come with me but this was something I needed to go out and do by myself. I hadn’t really been left alone since I welcomed my new existence. It felt good the air blowing through my hair and adrenaline seeping through my cold body.I had never liked running, in fact before I had dropped out of high school I had failed four P.E. classes. Not because I was lazy but because I didn’t feel the need to participate. I hadn’t fit in since the death of my parents.

Oh my parents, the historical vampire and werewolf combination, who ended up deeply madly and truly in love and then of course my mother ended up with child. My father changed her because they wanted to feel safe. They wanted to be together for the rest of their lives. What a love story. Much like Sasha and Jax! And now here I am running alone. Was I running from my own love story?

I had no idea how far I had ran but I just continued on running along the countryside. I felt free, much like I was flying, which I guess at these speeds I practically was. I was close to a beach I just wasn’t sure what direction it was in but I could taste the salt in the air. I knew that I could handle myself out here by my lonesome but I hoped that if Jester did return Thor could handle his own. Something still bothered me about how calm he was approaching a house of vampires by himself. But then again I am the crazy one out here running alone in the dark. I knew how fast Thor was and I am sure that if there was any danger my maker would sense it and come to my rescue. And if that failed then I would snap a few necks and make them wish they hadn’t messed with me. I couldn’t slow down I just continued on into the dark night.

After attempting to find the beach and failing I decided to turn around and head back home to my maker and the family I did have. My stomach was in knots I had already run so far but I knew I could make it back to the house just fine I just needed to pace myself and keep my eye on the prize so to speak. I ran like a lion hunting down an ox not slowing down for anything.

I was about 300 yards from the house and my nostrils felt like they were on fire. Wolves. And with that thought my stomach started to turn and it wasn’t from the running nor was it from hunger. Something was extremely wrong. The front door was wide open and at a hundred yards away I could hear weaping coming from inside.

“Jareden” I whispered as I picked up the pace to make it into the house faster than lightening could strike.

Sasha sat on the couch her head in her hands as she cried and screamed. Jax sat next to her and tried to comfort her as he held her in his arms. Like I suspected the baby was gone and I couldn’t sense my maker. I didn’t need to even ask what happened because as I stood there in the entry way of the living room it was like I was seeing it all right in front of me like I had been there. Jester and three other wolves had barged in and taken baby Jareden. This was not good I stood there in shock for a few more seconds before I took off back out the front door.

My maker had definitely followed because I could smell him faintly through the burning sensation lingering in my nose. I ran even faster than I had when I was running alone attempting to clear my mind. I knew I shouldn’t have left. It would have been an even fight if I had stayed and we could have taken the challenge and snapped necks and it would have been over. But instead I was selfish. This was all, my fault. I was getting closer to where ever they decided they were far enough to stop. I could hear them talking and admiring the’ half bloodsucking’ child. Fear was the one thing I had to put at the very back of my mind! I couldn’t be scared I had to be brave, for I had no idea what these wolves had planned for baby Jareden. He was so precious so defenseless. This wasn’t fair.