CHAPTER 20

Emily's POV :

I pressed call and the phone rang. Demi answered,

"Hey babygirl, what's up?" She asked. Just hearing her voice made me cry harder, I wish she was here. I clamped my hand over my mouth as sobs racked my body. I immediately felt stupid for phoning her and ended the call placing my phone on the ground. I sat with my head in my hands as I cried and struggled to breathe. My phone rang multiple times before she gave up.

Max's POV :

I was driving home after a long and stressful day of filming a cover with Kurt. Jumping in the car, taking my phone out of my pocket and throwing it on the passenger seat I started the engine and pulled out of the parking lot. My phone started ringing in the seat beside me, I glanced at the number and never recognized it so I just ignored it. It rang again and again. I pulled up to a red light and grabbed it, seeing a text from the number.

My heart immediately started beating faster and my muscles tensed at the thought of Emily getting hurt

My heart immediately started beating faster and my muscles tensed at the thought of Emily getting hurt. I called Demi back and she asked me to go to check on Emily. She told me that Emily had called her crying then hung up without saying anything. I called Emily but it went straight to voicemail. I cut off the highway and headed for her school instead of going home.

---

I parked the car and ran into the building, looking around and finding the office.

"Um hey, Emily Lovato phoned me saying she wasn't feeling good. Any chance I can pick her up and take her home?" I asked.

"Can I have your name please?"

"It's Max, Max Schneider."

"Okay sir, now how do you know Emily?" She asked. I furrowed my brow confused as to why she would even ask that.

"It's a question we have to ask if you're not the parents of the pupil." She explained, obviously seeing the confusion in my face.

"I'm her boyfriend/family friend." I said quickly trying to get this over with so I could see Emily. The woman nodded and typed a few things into the computer then I heard a noise sounded through the building.

"Emily Lovato please report to the school office. Emily Lovato make your way to the school office." Her voice echoed through the halls. I waited for 10 minutes until I seen Emily trudging down the stairs with a burst lip. The bitch who did that is gonna regret it if I ever get my hands on them. At first she looked confused but I opened my arms and she jumped into them, I hugged her tighter but immediately let go as she winced.

"What's wrong? What happened? Are you in pain?"

"I'm so sorry Max." She said with tears in her eyes.

"It's okay princess, I forgive you. We can talk about that later." I sighed finally relaxing, knowing she was safe in my arms. "Thank you." I said to the woman in the office before walking out to the car with Emily.

"Why did you come get me?" She asked.

"Demi called me worried that something had happened. Are you okay?" I asked.

"I didn't mean how did you know, I mean why, after what you think I did to you why would you still come to get me?" She asked, insecurity present in what she was saying. She thought I hated her.

"Because I love you Emily, no matter how big the fight or how angry I am I'd always come get you if I knew you were in trouble. Now answer my question, are you okay?" I asked looking for signs of lying and sure enough that's what I found.

"Yeah I'm fine." She blatantly lied.

"Emily," I sighed. "I know your lying, I can see it in your face." I gently held her chin. "And your makeup may be expensive but it's not good enough to cover those cuts and bruises." I said running my thumb over her burst lip. She looked at me with tired eyes and I knew she wasn't going to open up anytime soon. I started the engine and pulled out onto the main road heading for my house.

---

"Why did you forgive me?" She asked breaking the silence on the way home while staring out of the window.

"Because I love you and I trust you enough not to lie to me." I replied. Simple as that. If you have no trust you have no relationship. I believe in Emily and I know she has a good heart, she would never in her right mind do anything to intentionally hurt anyone. "Will you tell me the whole story when we get home though?" I asked hesitant of whether or not I was crossing the line. I know Emily goes through a lot and she isn't ready to talk about it, I respect that but since this situation involves me and our relationship I wanted to know.

"Of course." She replied. I stopped outside my house and opened her door helping her into the house.

---

A/N Hope you guys enjoyed! Please leave a vote and possibly a comment if you did. ❤️

ALSOOO WHOS GOING TO SEE DEMI ON THE TMYLM TOUR??