Chapter 1

Zayn's POV

People around you always seem to hate you, love you, envy you or want to punch you. There's no in between and there's never a person that doesn't have one of those things happening to them constantly. This was a fact I learned through experience as I grew up to be the twenty-two year old man I somehow became. And at this particular moment in my life, I had people that wanted to punch me. Two burly men to be exact that tripled my size and weight.

"I told you to stay the fuck off this block, Malik! Last time you were here you stole my girlfriend!" One of the men shouted at me. All I did was roll my eyes because this is the most childish thing for someone to even fight over yet, that's just how things work down in this poverty stricken part of Bradford. It's like a big play ground, but instead of having one bully everyone is one.

"I didn't steal anything, you dumb ass. Now are you just going to stand there and look ugly, or did you want to fight?" I asked him, knowing that if I showed the fact I was actually scared for my life he would kill me right now. People don't have a problem with killing down here. It doesn't matter if you're an old woman just walking down the street. It doesn't matter if that old woman was the only surviving family member a certain half Pakistani boy had.

Before I could get too lost in my thoughts, the man I was conversing with took a large step to try squaring me up. I took that as my opportunity to get my fists balled up and naturally rolled my stance so I was on the balls of my feet. Through the years of being in this world of violence, my body has just naturally done it's thing to help me survive each and every fight. One of those things is being light on my feet to dodge and move from my opponent.

The other man threw the first punch to my midsection, but my abdomin flexed to protect myself. It hurt, but it didn't knock me off my feet or even move me. I threw the next punch and the forty following to get the man on the ground. Yes, he got a few good hits on me, but not ones that actually counted. Everyone here fights dirty to win, but I fight with just my fists and hit only in spots to weaken the other person. The man that was standing on the sidelines watching this seemed to get bored watching his friend get beat up and left. I hit the man once more in the nose to hear that disgusting crack before backing off him.

"Do you want to get up and continue this, or can I walk down the street to get to work?" I asked the man as I wiped his blood off my kuckles with the bottom of my black t-shirt. He groaned in pain, but I took that as permission and begin to walk down the street to the night club I worked at as a bar tender. With one look over my shoulder just to be safe, I still saw the man on the ground and I knew I was fine to continue my way to work.

The night club was more like a hole in the wall place that's always full if crazy people. You could literally have sex right on the dance floor and get dollar bills thrown at you. I don't really participate in that stuff though, I just supply the alcohol to make people do that shit. The whole place looked like it could fall with one good wind storm, but I always prayed it didn't because then I wouldn't be able to pay rent for the tiny flat I have just down the street. It's actually close to where I left that stupid man with a broken nose.

I walked into the club and went straight over to the bar. I washed my hands up first before just sitting on a stool and waiting for the party life to come in. It was around ten at night and not many people were here yet, but I knew that would change in a matter of minutes. The music got turned up louder and a few people came over to the bar and told me what they wanted.

"Remember I work for tips, beautiful." I told one of the girls that I gave a drink to and shot her a wink. She blushed and gave me a small tip that I added to a little bucket I have under the counter. I didn't even think anything of that girl, but once again I just kind of do what I have to do to survive. I get paid alright, but if I want to eat then I need to get people to give me just a little extra.