Chapter 8

Zayn's POV

The next few days after I took Niall on that date to the pizza place were kind of tense between us. We made time to see each other every day still, but the tension was there and I hated that it's all probably because I'm a messed up piece of shit. I don't really know what it was, but I just couldn't look at him the same after seeing him with that random baby. I was feeling what he was feeling after seeing me in my boxing match. Of course, for me it was like a slap in the face at Niall was both normal and abnormal at the same time. He's not afraid of a family or a future like I am. Yet, it's not normal for a twenty-two year old man to look that happy holding some baby. In all, it made me realize that whatever thoughts I had about him changed. They changed to me thinking I'll never be what he needs and that I need to distance myself from him before I end up getting hurt. Unfortunately, both our hearts had different ideas.

My phone started ringing in my hand as I walked down the street to go to the gym. I quickly answered it, hoping that would distract me from my thoughts of Niall. I wanted anything to keep me from thinking of his beautiful face as he instinctively knew what that baby needed.

"This is Zayn Malik, right?" A deep familiar voice asked over the phone after I answered. I looked around myself before mumbling a yes and waiting to see what the one and only Harry Styles wanted from me. I was just hoping it wasn't to randomly jump me in the street for making him loose his first fight in years.

"I was just wondering if you wanted to meet up for a beer and a talk. Just, like, as friends or acquaintances. I'm in the Bradford area because I wanted to check out the gym you train at and wanted to get together." Harry asked me like I didn't nearly knock him out a week ago. To me, this was strange because I'm used to fighting with someone and never speaking to them again. Not going out to have a drink with them like nothing ever happened.

"Sure. I'm actually just now getting to my gym so if we meet there we can go to a bar or something." I replied awkwardly. He laughed and said he would see me soon. I hung up as I walked into the gym and looked around for Mark. The whole place seemed to be more full than usual like everyone got this random burst of hope to become a professional boxers.

"Zayn!" Mark yelled from across the gym. I made my way over to where he was watching two men sparing in the boxing ring. By doctors orders I wasn't allowed to train for a week and a half, but I still come in and study the sport. It helps me to visualize the fight as well as know how to fight.

"So before your next fight there's going to be a short press conference. People seem to have fallen in love with you. I think it's because you're a pretty boy and a good fighter. How's your head been feeling?" Mark asked me, not looking at me as he talked. I shrugged and leaned forward on the ropes of the ring to watch the men fighting.

"I'm confused about Niall, but my concussion seems to be gone. What does it feel like to like someone?" I asked my coach. He chuckled to me and gently slapped me upside the head before wrapping his strong arm around my shoulders.

"You talk about that kid every day. You live and breathe the next time you get to see him. I think this is beyond just liking him. Your heart is fascinated with him. I think you should just turn in your keys to freedom and marry him. Or just have him be your boyfriend, but either is fine." He told me like a father would explain to his son. I nodded and thought over the older man's words because I was tired of all the tension between me and the Irish boy. I guess I'll just have to risk getting attached to someone for the first time in my life and risk getting hurt. But knowing Niall will be the one hurting me is oddly comforting.

"So do I just, like, ask him to be my boyfriend? Then he'll say no and I'll laugh and high five him because I wouldn't want to be my boyfriend either?" I asked Mark. He laughed at me and pulled out his wallet before giving me a dollar. That's been our thing since day one. If I make him laugh, I get a dollar. It's a healthy relationship we have as a couch and trainee because we both get something out of what we do.