Chapter 26

Niall's POV

"Five and a half months along, Niall. You're doing so well." Doniya told me as I laid back on the table. I pulled my shirt up for her to do her ultrasound while Zayn just smiled lovingly at my pregnant belly. He was absolutely obsessed with it and I couldn't be happier that he was happy about that. Even though his face at the moment looked more brused up than ever from the two more fights he fought and won, he still looked so amazed and happy. I was just thrilled I only had to watch him get beat up and beat someone else up one more time for the last fight he scheduled when he found out we were going to have this baby. Then he can be done and we can live comfortably for a while off what the money he made fighting.

Doniya squirt some gel on my stomach which caused me to shiver and let her ultrasound wand run over my belly. Zayn held my hands tightly while we watched our baby come into view on the screen. It was so much clearer now which part was which on our baby, making me and Zayn smile widely at our growing child.

"Do you want to know the sex?" Doniya asked. Zayn and I looked at each other and shook our heads no. I think we both agreed that this baby was a surprise from day one. There's nothing wrong with one more surprise in this crazy experience. Doniya continued to look at our baby and listen as its little heartbeat filled the room. I giggled and let my hand that wasn't holding Zayn's reach out to touch the screen, hoping I could feel my baby that way. I just wanted to hold it already and love on it. But Zayn always reminded me it wasn't done in the oven and I had to be patient. That's one thing I've never been good at.

Doniya had a light smile on her face the whole time as she looked at her baby niece or nephew, but she looked at something that made her smile melt and her brown furrow just like Zayn's does. I stayed quiet as she zoomed in and looked closer at the baby. She set down the wand and left the room without another word. Zayn and I just looked at each other in confusion for a few minutes until Doniya walked back in with two other doctors.

"This spot right there." She mumbled to them as she let the wand roll over my stomach. All three doctors looked closely before one zoomed in even more to look at my baby. Zayn's grip on my hand was a death grip, but mine was no doubt the same because neither of us knew what was going on. One of the other doctors took the wand and ran it over the whole baby slowly.

"Oh god..." Doniya mumbled and took a step back from the table. The other doctors shook their heads and continued looking at the screen, but my heart fell to my stomach as I realized something must have been really wrong. I started crying silently causing Zayn to pull my head to his chest as best as he could without disturbing the doctors.

"Fuck, get him in surgery right now!" One of the doctor's said loudly as they got one more look that was clear to them, but not to me.

"Niall, your baby has a small hole in its lung. This happens sometimes, but it's very dangerous. You're going to be taken to the hospital now for emergency surgery. We're going to go in and fix it and everything will be fine. You'll still be able to carry your baby to full term. You will still have a very, very healthy baby." Doniya told me calmly as a gurney was brought in. Zayn pushed back the two doctors that were going to help me and he picked me up and placed me on the gurney himself. We both had fat tears rolling down our faces as the paramedics rushed me down the halls. Zayn pulled down my shirt a little and took off his jacket to cover me from the chilly February weather.

Once we were in the ambulance, Zayn and Doniya exchanged a few words that she was going to follow the ambulance to the hospital. Zayn then held my hand and kissed it like I was the one with a hole in my lung. I cried harder as I thought of the fact I was supposed to protect this baby and grow this baby the right way, not make it have a defect. It's all my fault if... if I loose my baby.