01 - Before the Beginning.

I muscled my way through the crowded hallway and got to my locker. I dropped off my advanced calculus books and then half-ran to the cafeteria to catch up with my friends. The crowd thinned as I entered the cafeteria and looked around. I spotted Max and Amber in the line for food and ran to stand behind them. "Hey guys." I said. Two pairs of eyes turned to look at me and I grinned. "Oh hey Lee!" Amber said. She wore a green jacket with a black-and-white striped top under it. She paired that with black leggings and her combat boots. With her red hair half open, she defined 'artistic and hippy'. Max beside her wore a Star Wars t-shirt with his blue jeans and Converse. He grinned and we bumped fists. I grabbed a tray and we walked along the line.

                            "So, where are the others?" I asked, lifting my tray that now contained an apple, a bottle of milkshake and some sort of cheese sandwich

"So, where are the others?" I asked, lifting my tray that now contained an apple, a bottle of milkshake and some sort of cheese sandwich. "Everyone's at the table except Logan, who is busy doing God-knows-what with You-know-who. Don't say Voldemort." Max said sternly as I opened my mouth to say just that. He knew me too well. "Fine. Calm down geek." I joked and punched his shoulder lightly. At the table sat my other friends. Ellie was busy screaming at someone (Logan) on the phone. He was her cousin and a pain in the backside. Ash sat with her head resting on Terry's shoulder as they both listened to Gemma talk about something. The three of us joined the rest at the table. There was a chorus of greetings as everyone made space for each other at the table.

I began to unwrap my sandwich when there was a huge commotion at the cafeteria doors. We all turned to look. There stood Logan, profusely apologising to the girl he had crashed into. Her lunch had been thrown against her. She looked pissed. Her shirt and jacket were stained with food and wet because of the water spilt on her. Logan pathetically handed her the empty water bottle from the floor and winced when she threw it back at him. He made a face at the girls retreating figure and came towards us, rubbing the sore spot on his shoulder where the bottle had hit him. "She obviously in a horrid mood. I even offered her a date, but she turned me down!" Logan said, taking a seat at the table.

We laughed at his confused expression

We laughed at his confused expression. Logan wasn't used to girls turning him down. Ever since he had moved here from Derbyshire two years ago, he had been a novelty among girls. He couldn't deal with losing his British advantage. He stole Max's fork and speared some fruit from Ellie's plate.

"You are in so much trouble." Ellie said, glaring at him. "What is it with girls and getting mad about small stuff?" Logan threw his arms in the air, almost elbowing Amber in the process. "Sorry." He said quickly and Amber gave him a sarcastic smile. "It's not the food I'm mad about! You left me to deal with your mother after you came clean about the graffiti outside school!" Ellie said, outraged. "Oh that." Logan relaxed and smirked. "Why wouldn't you want to deal with dear Auntie Rose, Ellie? You're a suck up anyway." Logan said and ran to hide behind Gemma as Ellie reached to hit him. "Stop you two. Lo, leave Gemma alone. You're hurting her." I said. I was the peace-maker in our group. My house served as neutral ground whenever someone in the group was in a fight. "Sorry love." Logan said and squeezed Gemma's shoulders before sitting next to me.

"So Logan, Lisa come to you with her party invitations yet?" Ash asked, sipping her fruit drink. "Yeah. You too?" Logan groaned. "Yeah. She wouldn't leave till we promised we would attend." Terry said. "Oh yeah, she invited me too!" Amber said. "Who's Lisa again?" Max asked. He was hopeless with names and faces. It was a miracle he didn't mix up our names. "Did any girl come up to you with a bright pink envelope?" Logan asked and Max nodded enthusiastically. "She seemed to really want me to come." Max said. "Speak of the devil." Ellie muttered.

Sure enough, Lisa was strutting towards our table. "Hey you guys! There's a party at my place tonight. We're celebrating my first anniversary with Drew. I've already invited most of you, I've been trying to track the rest of you down." Lisa said to me. She reached into her bag and pulled out three pink envelopes. "One for Lee", she handed me an envelope which I accepted with thanks. "One for Ellie", she handed one to Ellie who smiled at her. "And one for Gemma!" She said with a flourish and held out the envelope to Gemma. "Me?" Gemma looked a little shocked at being invited. "Yeah. You're my Chem partner after all. You must come." Lisa said and Gemma accepted the card. "Thanks." Gemma said. After making us promise to attend, Lisa went away.

We were all silent for a while. We looked at each other, silently communicating to decide whether we were attending or not. Logan broke the silence. "I'm going." He said. "Me too." Said Amber. Slowly, all of us gave in to the idea of attending, except Gemma who still felt a little indecisive. "For heaven's sake, she invited me just because I was her Chem partner!" Gemma exclaimed. "Exactly! Who does that? Not everyone!" I said. "Yeah, come on Gem. One night." Ellie said, squeezing Gemma's hand. "Yeah, come one. I'll drive you." Logan said. He leaned forward and whispered, "Maybe, I'll even agree to be your date!" Ash fake gasped and Terry and laughed. "Seems like a good offer Gem. Take it." Terry said.

"Take it. Take it." Max began to chant, and all of us joined him. Soon, we all were chanting at the top of our voices. People were starting to stare and Gemma was petrified. "Fine! I'll come!" She finally squealed and we cheered.Terry put his arms around her and hugged her tight. "Don't worry Gem. One of us will be around you all the time." Terry said and Gemma rolled her eyes. Gemma was the shortest and youngest amongst us, which meant she was the baby of the group- fiercely protected and horribly pampered. We adored her. Even though she was a little shy and quiet, she was the glue that kept us all together. I clapped my hands together. "Okay. How are we travelling?" I asked. "Logan can get me, Gem and Amber. Terry and Ash can get you and Max." Ellie said. "Why am I stuck with you?" Logan protested, but withered when Ellie gave him a blank stare.

 "Why am I stuck with you?" Logan protested, but withered when Ellie gave him a blank stare

"Okay. It's been fun people, but I need to rush to get McGee's art supplies. I'll see y'all at the party." Amber said and shouldered her bag. We all said goodbye to her before she left. We agreed to meet at the party at eight and left for our respective classes- Max and Logan to Math, Gemma to French, Terry to Chem and Ash, Ellie and myself to History.
A/N: Hi! I hope you enjoyed the first chapter of KGW!!! The update schedule for this story will be the same as that for TDK. A new chapter will be published every Wednesday and Sunday. In case you want more to read, why don't you go and check out the extra chapters for TDK and FFTN that I just uploaded?
See you this Wednesday!
Lots of love-D :)