30- Dance Till Your Feet Drop

JONAH'S POV:

GYM- AFTER SCHOOL

                                                  The entire team was in their sweatpants and t-shirts. We all were waiting for Ash to show up. "Dude, I don't think this is worth it. Can't we just walk outta here and never show up again?" Someone behind me muttered and I smiled to myself. Some people would never stop moaning. "What are you smirking at?" Matt asked me. "Nothing. Just their diva tantrums, that's all." I said.

                                                   "Hey, tell me something." He began. "Have you decided when your next date with Amber is?" He asked. "I spoke to her. We're probably going out tomorrow night. Why?" I asked as I stretched my leg. I hadn't told anyone about it, but I had been waiting for this second date ever since I had dropped Amber home after the first one. I had planned it the moment I had gotten home, but waited for Amber to decide the date and time. 

                                                   "So supposing everything goes well tomorrow, you and Amber will be going to the talent show party together?" Matt continued. "Yeah." I said. It struck me that he was upto something.  "What are you planning Matt?" I asked wearily. "Nothing! Just planning on asking Bailey to come with me so that I'm not third-wheeling you guys." Matt said and raised his hands in the 'I'm innocent' gesture.

                                                  I studied his face and said, "You're not scared of third-wheeling us. You just want another excuse to flirt with Bailey." "We don't flirt! We have civilised conversation." He objected. "Yeah, whatever helps you sleep at night buddy." I clapped his shoulder. Coach came in with Ash, who was also in a top and sweatpants. I smiled to myself as Matt went to take his place in front, as the captain of the basketball team. 

                                                 Coach spoke to Ash for a moment and she nodded confidently, after which Coach went to take a seat. "Hi! I'm Ash, I'm going to be choreographing your routine for the talent show." Ash chirped enthusiastically and a few guys muttered hello. I flashed her a smile which she returned. "Have any of you performed synchronised performances before?" She asked. I didn't expect anyone to contribute, but Mark (our newest recruit) put his hand up. Ash nodded for him to speak. "I did two years of hip-hop in middle school." He said and Ash nodded happily. "That's great. You guys having a dance background makes my job a lot easier." She said.

                                                    I didn't expect anyone else to contribute, when Matt raised his hand. I was impressed that he decided to speak up because Matt didn't usually talk about his theatrical upbringing. "Two years of ballroom dancing and a year of salsa." He admitted and I heard a few sharp intakes of breath. "I can tap dance. I've been doing it since childhood." I offered, backing him up. Matt nodded his thanks. Encouraged, a few more people announced that they had done different forms of dance. The remaining people said that they could learn. "This is an awesome start, you guys. This really makes my job a lot easier." Ash said, and then proceeded to mark spots for us.

                                                 She then played a track on her phone that only had beats and bass. We paid attention to the sounds and randomly began to dribble our basketballs in hopes of finding a good rhythm. Or in Ash's hilarious words, "You handle your balls, but leave the feet to me." Soon, we came up with a basic drill and Ash got us into formation again.She showed us how and when to move and then made us do it over and over again.By the end of two hours, we were sweating like we had just finished practice. 

                                                     "Good work, boys. See you all tomorrow!" Ash said and let us go. We began trailing into the locker room. I grabbed a towel from my bag and wiped the sweat from my face. "Man that was gruelling!" Rob, our point guard groaned and collapsed on the bench. "You gotta stretch man. Dance isn't the same as basketball." I adviced and Rob waved me off.  "You'd know, Mr. Tap-Dance." He joked. Matt came in with a faraway look on his face, and I knew that we had to leave. Matt and I said goodbye to the team. We went into the gym so that we could confirm tomorrow's timings with Ash.

                                                    She was there with Terry. Matt caught my attention and said, "You go confirm the timings with her. I'll get the car." I nodded. Terry saw me coming and let go of Ash to shake hands with me. "Wassup Jo?" He asked. I grasped his hand and grinned. "Nothing much. You're girlfriend's got the whole team complaining about the pain in their muscles, though." I replied. "The routine is not that hardcore!" Ash protested. "Anyway, same time tomorrow, right?" I asked her and she nodded. "Cool." I said. 

                                                 "Hey, when're you taking Amber out again?" Ash asked. Just thinking about the feisty redhead made me smile. "Tomorrow." I said and shoved my hands in my pockets. "Awww! I can't wait! The last time she was so happy, that she didn't even mind me stealing her boots and spilling milk on them." Ash said and I almost blushed. I had no idea that she was as excited about this as I was. "She was furious." Terry said to Ash, who waved his objection away. "Not as mad as she would usually get." Ash said and he shrugged. Matt called me, letting me know that he was waiting. "You guys, I gotta go. See you tomorrow?" I said and they both waved goodbye.

                                                    As I walked down the hallway, I passed Bailey's locker. I remembered how easily Amber's hand fit into mine, and how she was completely at ease with that. I remembered the tingles shooting up my arm at the feel of her fingers holding my hand in hers. I had been so absorbed in trying not to freak out, that I hadn't notice the crowd's stares until Bailey had mentioned it. I remembered knocking on Amber's front door on our first date and hearing paws scratch the wood. I had been elated that Amber had a dog, because I usually got along well with them. I couldn't wait to do it over again tomorrow night.

                                                    In the car, Matt had shifted to the passenger's seat. I got behind the wheel and began to drive. Matt was absorbed in his phone, so I punched his shoulder to get his attention. "What're you so focused on?" I asked. He looked up. "It's Bailey's birthday next week. I want to get her something." He said and went back to browsing the net. "Get her flowers." I suggested. He looked at me like I was crazy. 'Why would I give her flowers?" He asked. "Because you're kind-of a friend and you don't want to look desperate by going for a big production." I replied. 

                                                  "What would you give Amber?" Matt asked. "Flowers. And maybe a box of chocolates." I said, emphasising on 'flowers'. "Man, you're boring." Matt sighed. "You're over-the-top." I shot back. "Keep it simple. You don't want to scare her off." I said. "I'm not trying to win her over in the first place." Matt said. "Could've fooled me." I muttered under my breath, but he heard it and gave me the finger.

                                                    I stopped outside his house and said, "You should talk to Jade. She'll know what to do." Matt nodded. He clapped my shoulder and got out, leaving me to drive home and make reservations for my date. It had to be something Amber enjoyed, because she had told me that she didn't enjoy the standard candle light dinner or ice cream date at the beach. I had my work cut out for me. 

A/N: Hello you amazing people! First of all, thank you so so much for 8k! This is crazy! I am so humbled and happy with the response I've been getting for this story! Never in my wildest dreams did I expect to grow at such a quick rate. Thank you!

          I hope you enjoyed this chapter. I know it was supposed to be Matt's POV, but when I wrote it I realised that I had a lot more information about Jonah and Amber that I wanted to share, so writing it in Jonah's POV made more sense. Would you like to see their second date in the next chapter? Let me know! Don't forget to vote and comment!

Lots of love-D           :)

P.S. The chapter might have a few grammatical errors, because Wattpad glitched at the last moment. Please do point out any mistakes if any. Thank you!     :)