16- Temptation

BAILEY'S POV:

SUNDAY NIGHT.

I was in my bed, too comfy to get out, but also too worked up to fall back asleep. My phone said that it was seven thirty in the morning. Who wakes up at seven thirty in the morning on a Sunday, you ask? Me. Because my body clock works early on the weekends. On weekdays, I could sleep through the apocalypse.

The past few days hadn't been working out as planned. When I had returned from Amber's place on Friday night, Mom had been on a business call. I had ordered pizza for both of us, and had put her share in the fridge when I headed of to bed at midnight. I have no idea as to when the call ended. Yesterday morning, I caught her just before she left for her office. She had promised to come home so that we could talk, but that hadn't worked out.

I hadn't even gotten a chance to catch Nate and Lynn to fill them in about Friday night. Either Nate was out with Emma, or Lynn hadn't returned from her sleepover, or Nate was hanging out with Rob and Lynn hadn't returned from her sleepover, or I was busy and Lynn hadn't returned from her sleepover....

As a matter of fact, Lynn had come home after lunch and had headed straight to bed with a humongous hangover. I guess her sleepovers were not the same as mine. Hopefully I would get to talk to both of them today. A source of comfort was that we had managed to come with a achievable plan to teach Matt Anderson a lesson.

I gave up on going back to sleep and got out of bed. I filled myself a cup of coffee from the kitchen and went outside to collect our mail. We had a bunch of mail- Nate's National Geographic subscription, the latest Vogue edition (featuring Taylor Swift on the cover no less), bills and a bunch of junk mail. As I stood sorting through the mail, I heard someone call out to me.

"Hey Bailey!" I looked around and saw Rob leaning over the fence. "Morning Rob." I smiled. "You're up early." He grinned at me. "Yeah. You too." I said, before taking in his attire. He was not in his pyjamas. He was in exercise clothes. Sweaty exercise clothes. "This is not early for me. I go for a run every Sunday morning. I leave the house at six." He shrugged like it was no big deal. "And you run for...?" I asked. "I run for as long as I want. Today it was an hour and a half." He said.

I raised my eyebrows. "What's the longest you've run for?" I asked, hugging the mail to my chest. "It was back in LA, I ran for about two and a half hours. I find it very relaxing." He said. "And you this every Sunday." I confirmed. "Every Sunday. In fact, if you're up for it, you should join me next week." He suggested. I laughed.

"Thanks, but I'm in a committed relationship with my bed. If I leave early on a Sunday it'll think that something's wrong." I said and Rob laughed. "Seriously though. Think about it." He said. "I will. I'll do it." I assured him.

I turned to go inside, but he stopped me

I turned to go inside, but he stopped me. "Oh, by the way. Do you need me to buy any ice cream or something, for tonight?" He asked me. "What?" I asked stupidly. "You forgot, didn't you? We're having the get together at your house today. Your mom invited us over." Rob reminded me.

"Oh, right! Don't worry about it. We've got the desserts covered." I said. I had completely forgotten about this dinner. If it was a whole family thing, it meant that Dad would be joining us with Bonnie and Claire. Which meant I had a night of "yes-I-have-a-mom-and-a-step-mom" to look forward to. What joy (note the sarcasm).

The day passed in a whirl. Lynn woke up twelve noon, downed some aspirin and helped me with the food. Mom had set everything up, we just had to mix and marinate. Nate was in charge of marinating, Lynn was in charge of chopping and I was supervising. Which meant I could sip on lemonade and narrate Friday nights events, while reminding Lynn to mind her fingers.

By the end of my narration Lynn was furious enough to want to go to Matt's house and bash him on the head. Nate looked calm, but his ears and neck had gone red- a sure sign that he was extremely angry. "Lynn, we're not punching anyone tonight. Let's calm down for now. We'll take care of him soon enough." Nate said as he made Lynn sit down and drink some water.

"I feel awful Lee." Lynn sounded close to tears. "You don't have to! My friends and I have got a plan to get back at him. And I'm safe." I said, hugging her. "Yeah. And we're all getting locks on our windows. This won't happen again." Nate said. "Not that!" Lynn wailed. "What is it then?" Nate asked. Lynn turned to me.

"You called me, and I refused to help you. I didn't hear you out, I just left you alone. I can't imagine how shaken you must've been. I wasn't there for you when you needed me!" Lynn said and the first tears made their way down her face.

 I wasn't there for you when you needed me!" Lynn said and the first tears made their way down her face

I nearly broke seeing Lynn cry. "It's fine Lynn, I understand that your friend needed you." I said. "She was having a breakdown over the colour of her new shoes!" Lynn almost screamed.

Nate gave me an amused look and I smiled."How about you make it up to Lynn by surviving the night okay? You're really emotional right now." Nate said with a small smile. "Okay." Lynn said and wiped her tears. She went back to the chopping board and I explained our plan to get back to Matt. The more I told them about the plan, the more cheerful Nate and Lynn became.

"That is an amazing plan. Pity we don't have any role to play." Lynn said. "We weren't exactly concentrating on the distribution of roles." I said and Lynn rolled her eyes. "You know what I mean." She said.

We heard the front door open and mom walked in. "I'm glad to see that you're all doing your chores." She said as she set a huge bag down. "What's in the bag?" Lynn asked. "Clothes. For tonight. Open them Lee." Mom said. I got off my chair and pulled out three boxes. "These are fancy!" I exclaimed. There were two evening dresses- one for me and one for Lynn- and there was a fancy vest for Nate.

"I didn't know it was such a big thing." Nate remarked as I held out the vest for him to see. "It is. There will be a lot of people. Also your father is coming." Mom said. "Yeah, that's a big deal in itself." I added. Dad was out of station a lot now-a-days. He made it a point to spend at least one night with us. Tonight was going to be the first time Lynn and I would see him in six months. It was a big deal.

If only dinner would come soon.

A/N: Hi everyone! I hope you enjoyed this chapter. Don't forget to vote and comment. Also thank you so much for 2k reads!!! This is crazy! Thank you!!
A chapter in Gemma's POV is coming your way soon!
Lots of love-D :)