23- Icing

BAILEY'S POV:

SUNDAY NIGHT 

                                                                                  Sunday seemed to pass by in the blink of an eye. Before I knew it, Matt and his family were due to come over in an hour, and Nate, Lynn and myself were sent upstairs to get ready for the dinner. Mom was already ready in a wine coloured cocktail dress. I, on the other hand, knew that the night was going to be warm, so I opted  to wear a lighter material instead.

                                                                                  I brought out a cotton dress that had wide blue and white stripes. It had a slit up one side and a blue belt, which looked adorable. It also had sewn in shorts, so that if the skirt flew I didn't face any unfortunate mishaps. After laying out the dress on my bed I ran to the washroom and had a quick shower. 

                                                                                  I knew that Lynn needed to go in after me, so I kept that for after I gave her the shower. Once outside, I tied up my hair in a top bun and applied concealer and mascara. On a whim I put on some pink lip tint and admired myself in the mirror. I put on my gladiator shoes and went to the kitchen where mom was fretting with her hair. "What do I do with my hair honey?" She asked worriedly. "Don't tie it up." I adviced.  "That's what I've been trying to tell her this whole time." Nate called from the living room.

                                                                                    I joined him on the couch. He was wearing a grey shirt with black trousers. He looked grumpy as he texted someone. "You okay?" I nudged his shoulder and asked. He looked up from his phone. "Yeah." He said. I gave him a look that said stop lying. He put his phone aside and said, "I'm not sure if I can spend a night with Matt without punching him." Nate said. I knew how he felt. "I know Nate but you're going to have to try. The last thing I need is getting something on my permanent record. We need to put up with him." I said. Nate hung his head and I soothingly rubbed his shoulder.

                                                                                   We heard footsteps come down the stairs and Lynn walked into the room. She had worn a shirt dress with graphics on it, and had worn her black heels. I sometimes envied how Lynn always managed to look like a model. "You're dressed up." Nate said. "The fact that I can dress up is the only reason I agreed to be here tonight." Lynn said. All three of us sat on the couch and stared at the clock. "My kids are terrifying me." Mom said as she took in our grim faces.  Even Nate cracked a smile at that. 

                                                                          About twenty minutes later, the doorbell rang. Mom went to answer the door. Lynn and I followed her. Nate followed after Lynn glared at him. Nate was in a bad mood, which usually wasn't good news for anyone. As mom opened the door, I plastered a smile on my face and hoped that the night would pass without incident. 

                                                                          Matt's parents looked a little older than mom. His mother squealed hi the moment she entered and hugged all of us. She was as tall as I was, and had short blonde hair- just like Jade. Their father had dark hair like Matt and dimples too. He too, shook our hands and told us that it was nice to meet us. Jade hugged me tight. "You look amazing!" I said. She did. She wore a pink beaded dress with heels. Jade complimented my clothes and went out to the backyard with everyone else.

 Jade complimented my clothes and went out to the backyard with everyone else