45- Rock Bottom.

BAILEY'S POV:

THE NEXT EVENING.

MAX'S HOUSE.

                                                                  I was in was with Max in his bedroom, chomping on popcorn and generally talking about the past week at school. I has been telling him everything that had happened between Matt and myself, including what had happened at Jonah's house. "You're so lucky, yet all you can do is crib about all the attention you're getting." Max rolled his eyes at me. "I can't help it. The attention is unwanted." I said, throwing some popcorn at him.

                                                                  "Continue." He waved his arms at me and I began to tell him about what had happened in the library yesterday.

                                                                  "So, I couldn't say no and had to agree to go to this fundraiser thing." I finished. Max looked at me in disbelief. "Lee, you're life should be made a TV show,"

                                                                  "What's next? starring Bailey Stanford and her equally confused best friends." He announced dramatically, making me laugh hard.

                                                                   "Also, Matt is totally asking you out, so I expect you to make an effort. Take time to pick an outfit, let Ash and Lynn handle your make up. I would be honoured to advice you, should see me fit to take on that responsibility. I want you to be the belle of the ball." He said with a flourish.

                                                                   "Of course. With all these talented people taking care of my appearance, I can't be anything less." I replied in kind. He grinned, but it faded quickly. I quickly remembered something Ash had told me.

                                                                   "Max, can I ask you something?" I asked. "Anything." He said. "When I was trying to avoid the fundraiser, I had asked Ash to invite one of you as her guests instead. She said that you couldn't come because you were avoiding Kevin. What's happening here?" I asked hesitantly.

                                                                   Max's shoulders drooped and he suddenly looked a lot sadder. "I've only told Ash so far, and I'd like to tell the others when I see fit, but Kevin and I are over." He said. "What happened?" I immediately sat up. Max shrugged as he stared at his toes. I scooted to sit besides him and nudged him gently.

                                                                  With a sigh, Max began to speak.

                                                                  "A few days after the talent show Kevin started to act weird. He stopped answering calls and he barely spoke to me in school. I tried to visit him at home but he always had some excuse to make me not come over, you know? So I tried the next best thing. I confronted him at school."

                                                                  "The only place I could catch was in the locker room after gym, so I asked him aside and tried to talk to him. The moment everyone saw us together the teasing began. They were calling me names. Horrible things that no one should ever have to hear. Even Kevin, though I could see that he didn't mean it. That's when I realised what might have happened."

                                                                  Dread filled me as I pieced everything together, but I waited to see if Max would confirm my thoughts.

                                                                 "Kevin hadn't come out to anyone; not even his parents. But we were pretty close in school. We hadn't made any efforts to hide our relationship- if you can even call it that." He said bitterly. "Turns out he lied to everyone else. When they confronted him, he told them that I was just an experiment and that he was just using me."I felt my temper rise.

                                                                 "What the f-" "Grandma's here." Max interrupted me. I waited as he continued to speak.

                                                                 "After that I was the butt of everyone's jokes. I was so mad that I left the locker room immediately. I've avoided him since." Max was glowering at his bed sheet.

                                                                  He didn't speak again, so I did. "What the hell? How dare he use you to protect himself!" I glowered. "Does he realise what he's done?" I clenched my fist. Max held my hand in his and tried to calm me down.

                                                                 "Look, in a way, I can understand why he did it. I've been lucky enough to have an accepting family and amazing friends like you guys. His parents are very orthodox and obviously, his friends aren't very open minded people. I don't blame him for protecting himself. But trust me, no one wants to tell him what he did wrong more than me. But, I need you to let me do this at my pace, Lee." Max said.

                                                                My heart broke for Max and I hugged him fiercely. Max is too good for Kevin, I thought to myself. Max was kind and thoughtful. Adorably geeky, endearing, sensitive and so open to others. He might have a hard time remembering names, but he was so good to everyone he met, irrespective of how others perceived them. He didn't deserve to have his heart broken this way.

                                                                Max sniffed and pulled back. "I really want you to have fun Lee. Have fun for me too." He said to me. After some more time of talking, I took my leave.
                                                                                    I went back home and stared at my  wardrobe. If I was to actually dress up for this, I might have to ask Lynn to lend me something pretty. I was starting to look forward to the fundraiser.
A/N: Hey everyone! Hope you enjoyed this chapter! Do vote and comment if you did.
          I have one question for you guys: what would you like to see in the last chapter of KGW?
          Let me know!
Lots of love- D         :)