07- Panic

"He found you?" Ash screeched, attracting the attention of everyone in the hallway. "Could you scream it any louder? I don't think the Martians heard you." Max said, rubbing his ears. "But- but- how?" Gemma asked. The poor thing was in shock. "I don't think we covered her leaving the house once in a while, Gem." Ellie said. She had a very far - away look on her face since I told her that Matt had found me.

"The plan was a bust. Does that mean we don't have to babysit Lee anymore?" Logan asked as he checked out a girl standing a short distance away. He leaned against a locker and adjusted the beanie he was wearing. "Quit being an ass, Lo." Amber said bluntly.

"Just because Anderson found Lee doesn't mean we stop helping her. Now our motive is to not let him close enough to annoy her." Terry said as he comforted Ash. "That's a better plan. It has a more focused approach. We can make it work." Ellie said enthusiastically. "Puh-lease." Logan scoffed and rolled his eyes. "Okay." Amber muttered angrily and moved to push him, but Max and I caught her.
"Calm down Amber!" Gemma said. She turned an angry finger to Logan. "You. You're being rude. And pessimistic. The least you could do is support us instead of acting like a d**k." She scolded. Logan looked like he had been slapped. "Gem..." He said and trailed off, looking at us for support. When none of us looked at him, he stood up straight. "Hey, I never said that I wouldn't help. I was just voicing my thoughts. I'm sorry if I hurt you." Logan said to Gemma. "If?" I taunted. "That I hurt you." Logan amended quickly.

"Do you intend on helping or not?" Gem asked after a moment. "Yeah! In fact, I'll take first watch." Logan said. Gemma nodded and took a deep breath. "We good?" Logan asked tentatively. "Yeah." Gemma nodded as she got back to her usual self. "Okay. Good." Logan said in relief. The bell rang and all of us dispersed.

"Don't you have track first?" I asked Logan, who seemed to have just realised what he was doing. "I do. But I'll drop you first." Logan said. "Lo, you're going to get late. My classroom's right here. I'll walk myself." I insisted. "I don't mean to sound like the regular douche that I am, but I'm doing it for Gem. I hate it when she's mad at me." Logan said quietly. I softened. I knew what he was talking about. There had been no doubt that Logan would be part of our group when he shifted from England. But the first person he actually spoke to initially was Gemma. It was obvious that he was affected by her being mad at him.

"Hey. She won't be mad at you for long." I said and rubbed his arm. We reached my Math class and I faced him. "Now go run before the coach makes you do extra laps." I said. He gave me his typical smirk and took off like the wind. "No running in the corridor!" I heard someone scream from down the hall, but Logan was long gone. I chuckled and entered my classroom. I took my seat and waited for the day to get over.

Terry walked me to Literature, while I sat through Science with Max as my partner. Ellie sat through Spanish with me as I doodled all over my notebook and she took notes for both of us. Gemma and Ash walked me to Economics as they headed to Calculus themselves. At the end of the day, I walked into art with Amber. I had basic skills with the paintbrush, so I concentrated on completing my landscape while Amber did a more complicated pencil sketch using charcoal. Her hands were coated with black by the end of the lesson.

While everyone left the class, I stayed back to help Amber clear up, because she was my ride home. She left to wash her hands while I packed her instruments and took it to the car. I held her heavy paints and stuff in one hand and held her canvas in the other with my bag slung on my shoulder. It was heavy. I trudged through the hallway, out to the parking lot, when she took her bag of paints and canvas from me. "I knew you wouldn't let me carry that all by myself. I love you!" I exclaimed and rubbed my shoulders. "Well it's a little too soon for that, isn't it?" I turned around to face Matt, who had a proud smirk on his face.

"Not you." I groaned and tried to take Amber's stuff away from him. "Now, now. Grabbing is not good manner, Bailey." He emphasised on my name. "You know my name! Good for you. Maybe your next lesson should be understanding the meaning of go away." I said and succeeded in wrenching Amber's bag out of his hands. "Why do you keep running away?" Matt asked as he followed me across the parking lot. "Maybe because I don't like you?" I said, loading Amber's stuff into the bag. Matt handed me her canvas and without a word of thanks I put it into the car. "You have to know someone to decide whether you like them or not." Matt said and I laughed in his face. "I know enough." I said.

I made to walk past him but he held my arm in a tight grip. I spotted Amber come out of school and called out. "Amber!" I screamed as I struggled to escape his grip. Matt seemed to realise that he was in plain sight of Amber and the school cameras. "Why don't you understand that I don't want to hurt you?" He muttered before letting me go and leaving. "How dare he? Are you hurt? Oh my god, that moron!" Amber was furious. "I'm fine." I said to her. "I don't believe it! I left you alone for just one minute!" Amber said. "Hey! I'm okay. Let's just go home. I promise I'll deal with him properly the next time he comes that close." I said and hugged her. Once she had calmed down a bit, she drove me home.

When I got home, I said goodbye to Amber through the window and went straight to the kitchen to get a glass of milk from the fridge. The only problem was, I couldn't open the fridge with Nate and Emma making out against it.