40-Mercy

Dedicated to @loveof_winter and @Leenadev. Thank you so much for all your support!  :)

BAILEY'S POV.

TWO DAYS LATER.

                                                                The past couple of days had passed in a blur of turning in assignments and running around shopping with Lynn. She had a huge performance coming up and she had taken the opportunity to go out and buy outfits for both of us. We were in her room folding our new purchases when she asked me, "So, have you spoken to Matt lately?" "Not really. I was busy." I said. "Are you, like, mad at him or something?" She asked. "Not at all!" I frowned. I raised my eyebrows at her.

                                                              "I was speaking to Jade the other day and she told me that Matt's been a little low because he thinks you're mad at him and that's why you won't speak to him." Lynn said in a single breath. "Are you serious!" I exclaimed, and gathered my things in my arms to take to my room.  "You should go talk to him." Lynn called after me. "Sure thing!" I replied. I shut my door and rolled my eyes. I plopped myself onto my bed and picked up the book I had been reading.

                                                              My door opened again and Lynn stuck her head inside. "I meant now." She said. "Lynn come on! Can't I just text-" "Nope. Go NOW!" Lynn cut me off and went away. I huffed and changed my shorts before heading towards Matt's house. 

                                                             I walked all the way, seeing how Nate needed the car for later that night. I was panting by the time I reached there. I rang the bell and Jade answered the door. "Hey Lee!" She smiled and opened the door for me to enter. "Hey. Is Matt home? I wanted to talk to him." I said. "Yeah, he's up in his room. Do want anything to eat? We have some pasta and microwaveable pizza rolls." She offered. "I'm not picky." I said and went upstairs. 

                                                             His room seemed quiet, but his door was ajar. I peeked in. Matt was lying on his bed with his earphones in, surrounded by books. I was about to knock, but he obviously couldn't hear me, so I let myself in. He looked up when I got in and seemed surprised. "Hey!" I said. He sat up and pulled his earphones out of his ears. "Hey. What are you doing here?" He asked. He cleared some books to make space for me to sit.

                                                             "Rumour has it that you think I'm mad at you for some reason." I said as I made myself comfortable. "You're not?" He asked. "No! Why would you think that?" I asked him. Matt shrugged. "You haven't said a word to me in almost three days. I thought you were mad at me for calling you Bay and that's why you decided to ignore me." He said. "Why didn't you ask me upfront?" I asked. Matt looked at his toes and my heart almost melted. "Ego." He said after a short pause.

                                                            I laughed. "Seriously though, next time just talk to me. I was just so busy these past couple of days. I tend to overload and forget that other people exist, but the the girls and my family usually bring me back to reality. I'm sorry that you thought I was mad at you." I said, fidgeting with the hem of my top. "Nah, I get it. It's fine." Matt stretched and I had to consciously remind myself to breathe. 

                                                            "Who told you anyway?" He asked as he flattened his hair to his forehead. Breathe. "Our sisters have a well-established network of communication." I shrugged. The bedroom door opened and Jade came in with two bowls of pasta. "If you guys could finish this, it would be great. I could finally cook us both a decent meal for dinner." Jade said as she handed us the bowls. 

                                                            "It's just the two of you? Aren't your parents home?" I asked, inhaling the smell of herbs and cheese. "They're away on business." Matt said, not before Jade shot him a worried look. "Okay." I pretended to not notice the look the siblings shared. Jade excused herself and I dug into the pasta, realising that I was ravenous. "Slow down." Matt chuckled as he handed me a Kleenex to wipe my face.

                                                               "I'm sorry. I haven't eaten in hours." I apologised. I glanced at the book nearest to me. "Beyond the Black Box." I read out. "What is it about?" I asked Matt. "It's about plane crashes." He said candidly. "Well, that's not morbid at all." I said and set the book aside. "Yeah, it's sounds a little scary but it investigates those crashes and the aim is to pinpoint what caused the plane to crash. It's very interesting." He said, and I noticed a spark light up in his eyes. This was obviously something he loved reading about.

                                                              "Tell me more." I said and leaned into his pillows. He began to tell me about a case and I just listened and enjoyed the pasta. He was extremely animated about it, his hands were flying all over the place and he seemed almost lost in the story. There were loads of aeronautical terms that made no sense to me, but I didn't have the heart to stop him. 

                                                              "Bailey, you've got pasta sauce all over your mouth." He said and I broke out of my daze. "I'm sorry. I was just a little lost while listening to you." I said. He scooted over next to me and handed me the box of Kleenex. "I know. I stopped talking about five minutes ago and you just kept staring. It was really funny." He smirked and my heart skipped a beat. He was close enough for me to feel the warmth of his body. 

                                                              "How did your presentation with Gemma go?" I asked, just to change the topic, but I could already feel myself lose track of the conversation. "Great!" He said and proceeded to tell me about it. He wrapped his arm around my shoulders as he spoke and I tried my best to keep my focus. "You know what, Bailey?" He stopped himself from calling me Bay at the last moment. 

                                                             His gaze was intense and I almost stopped breathing. He moved a little closer to me on the bed and looked straight into my eyes. "What?" I asked. "You need to stop looking at me like that." He said. Before I could say anything he bent down and captured my lips with his.

                                                              I could practically feel the air leave my lungs as he cradled my face. He broke away very quickly though, and I frowned at the sudden loss of contact. "The pasta." He said. He lifted the bowl and placed it on his bedside table before I pulled him back to me. My head was spinning and Matt pulled me closer to him. My fingers knotted themselves into his hair as I felt myself completely lose control. 

                                                            Suddenly Jade's voice cut through, calling for Matt. We heard her climbing up the stairs and I quickly shifted away from Matt, though he still held my hand in his. "What's wrong?" Matt shouted, trying to sound normal but there was annoyance hidden under it. Jade came into the room, looking a little stricken. 

                                                           "Mom and dad are home, and they want to talk to us. Something's wrong." Jade said. Matt paled a little and I knew that it was time for me to leave, but what had actually happened?                                                                

A/N: Hello everyone! I hope you enjoyed this chapter! If you did, do vote and leave a comment, it makes my day! I hope you have a spectacular day ahead.

Lots of love- D          :)