50- Say Okay?

MATT'S POV:

SATURDAY 

                                                                 I was in my room playing some video games when Jade called for me downstairs. I rolled my eyes. "What?" I screamed back. No way was I leaving my bed at that moment. I heard footsteps climbing the stairs and huffed. Jade came in and said, "You really don't want to ignore this person who's come to see you."

                                                                "Of course I can. Just tell them I'm asleep." I scoffed. I had avoided seeing anyone other than Jonah for the whole week. Only he could come close to understanding the frustration I was experiencing. "She can see that you're not asleep." A different voice cut in.

                                                                I looked up to see Bailey hiding behind Jade. I immediately sat up straight and paused the game. Jade gave me a smile and left. Bailey waited for a few seconds then asked, "Can I come in?" "Yeah, of course!" I said. I moved to make space for her on the bed but she took the chair instead.

                                                                "How're you feeling?" She asked hesitantly. "Fine." I said. Now that you're here, I added in my mind. I realised that she was probably waiting for an explanation as to why I wasn't in school that week. "I asked because I didn't see you at school all week and got a little concerned..." She said. I gave myself a mental high five. So she did care!

                                                              "Yeah, it's been a tough week. I kinda had a small breakdown and mom and dad decided that it would be a good idea to take a small break from school." I said. She was reluctant to meet my eyes, but all that mattered to me was that she was actually there.

                                                             "We need to talk." She said finally. "Okay?" I said. She swallowed and said, "It's about what happened last week." I nodded. "I hope you know that I'm not giving up just yet-" I began to say when she exclaimed, "I don't want you to give up!" "What?" I was confused. What did she want from me?

                                                            "Just hear me out. Please." She said and I agreed.

                                                             "First of all, I don't know if you heard, but Zachery has been suspended for stealing from the team." She said and I told her that I had already heard the news from Jonah. "That made me think. If he had kleptomaniac tendencies then it would explain him wearing your jacket without your knowledge. I'm sorry that I didn't believe you." She frowned and I resisted the urge to kiss her right then. 

                                                             "Matt, I really wanted to be with you. I still do." My heart inflated on hearing those words. "I like you more than I'd care to admit. But with everything that happened before, I didn't know if I could trust you. It seemed like everytime I was about to fall something would come up and it would feel like a slap to the face. It got to the point where I felt like this whole thing was a game to you." Her voice shivered and I instinctively crawled to the edge of the bed and held her hand. She didn't pull away.

                                                             "If we are to give this another go I need something more than friends or she's my date to so-and-so event. I don't want to have to wonder what this relationship really is. I don't want to keep wondering if we're just friends or casually flirting or whatever..." She trailed off.