47- Only You.

(Gif credit to: hailee-steinfld on Tumblr)

BAILEY'S POV:

THE NEXT MORNING.

I woke up around 7am, already in a grumpy mood. I slouched downstairs where mom was reading the newspaper. "Hi honey! I didn't hear you come in last night! How was the fundraiser?" She asked, setting the paper aside. "It wasn't that great. I came home before you did." I shrugged. I poured myself a large cup of coffee and gratefully inhaled the strong aroma.

"Bailey, sit with me. I think it's time we had a proper conversation without getting interrupted." Mom said. She switched her phone off and kept it away. I sat opposite her and waited for her to speak.

"I've been wanting to ask you this for a while, but there never seemed to be a right time, Bailey. I can tell that something big is happening in your life. I can see that it's affecting you a lot and I've decided that I'm taking today to sit with you and talk things through. If that's what you want. It's been a long time since you and I have been able to actually talk." Mom said and I held her hand.

"You want to know what's happening?" I asked her with a small smile, "Strap in, because this story is a roller coaster."

I told her everything that had happened since Matt's family had come to our house for dinner. Of course, I spared her some details, like my kisses with Matt and that his parents were going through a rough patch.

I did not mention Jonah and Amber's relationship, or Max and Kevin's; not because it was something to hide, but because those were details I couldn't give away unless I knew for sure that my friends were okay with my mom knowing. Just because I knew something did not mean I had the right to share it.

I told her about how Matt was the one to convince me to attend the fundraiser and how excited I had been. Finally, I ended with how I saw him with another girl and called Max to drop me home.

When I finished my story, mom sighed. "That is quite the roller coaster. I've forgotten what it's like to be a teenager." Mom said as she rubbed her eyes. "You're not that old, you're exaggerating." I said. There was a silence as we both sipped on our coffee.

It was very liberating to be able to talk to mom without worrying about judgement. Later that day, I went out with Nate, Lynn and Claire for a movie and then we also grabbed some lunch. We then spent some time around town before heading home at around four in the afternoon.

It had barely been twenty minutes since we came home than Nate decided that he needed a nap. Lynn had already left for another meet up with her friends, so I had the house to myself.

I changed into my most comfortable t-shirt and shorts and got out some leftover pasta from the fridge. I switched the TV on and dug in. A few minutes later there was a knock on my door. I answered it to find Matt standing on my doorway.

I began to shut the door when he held it open. "Bailey, you refuse to answer your phone and I'm tired of having conversations with your voicemail. Please, can we talk?" He didn't give me a choice as he stubbornly held the door open. "Fine." I sighed, "But there's really nothing to talk about." I said.