36- Cuz It's My Birthday

BAILEY'S POV.

BAILEY'S HOUSE.

SUNDAY EVENING.

                                                         I opened the front door and let the girls in. "Happy birthday!" Gemma squealed as she hugged me. Ellie and Amber held a bunch of balloons and bags in their hands and Ash held an enormous box in her arms, which looked like a cake. "Welcome everybody!" I exclaimed. Mom came out of the kitchen, dusting her hands on an apron. "Hello girls. Everyone ready for a fun sleepover?" She asked. "Always." Ash replied and followed mom to the kitchen to keep the cake. 

                                                        We had organised a sleepover for my birthday and I was as happy as I could be. Mom had decided to skip work and spend the day chaperoning us. Lynn and Nate had gone to their friends houses so that we girls could have the house to ourselves. They were such good sports. 

                                                       Mom, Nate and Lynn had woken me up with a cake in the morning. It was an amazing chocolate delight cake which I've always loved. Then mom and I had gone grocery shopping for the evening while Nate had taken his girlfriend, Emma, out for lunch.  Lynn had decorated my room with streamers and balloons and now that my friends were here, it felt like a real party.

                                                     We got all our snacks in bowls and took it upstairs to my room. "So Lee, what presents did you get so far?" Ash asked as she plopped herself on my bed. "Just a cake and some money. Who cares anyway? I have you guys over and that's the best thing ever." I said and sat next to her. "Great! Because we have a few surprises planned. The first one is that we have an additional guest tonight..." Amber said and opened the crate she had carried. I squealed with happiness as Sophie poked her head out and clambered out. 

                                                     "Oh my God, you are so adorable!" I said as Amber handed Sophie to me. Sophie curled up on my lap and stayed there, which was a rare occurrence. "We also have a gift for you." Gemma said. She reached into her backpack and pulled out a large gift-wrapped object. "That's big." I said and hurriedly began to unwrap it. It was a tote with the picture of a puppy on the side. "Aww you guys, I love it!" I said. "Look inside, dummy." Ellie rolled her eyes. The tote was a bag full of goodies. 

                                                     There was a new cover for my phone (with the Big Bang Theory logo on it *heart eyes*), a brand new lip colour, a necklace with a star pendant on it, a set of badges with Tumblr quotes on them, a t-shirt with the word 'stubborn' written on it in a bold font and four gift vouchers to Barnes and Nobles. "You guys, thank you so much!" I said hugged them all. Sophie yapped and I turned to her. "You too Sophie, thank you for an amazing surprise." I said patted her head.

                                                      "There is one more surprise, but that might take some time to get here." Amber said. "Okay..." I said slowly. What else could they have planned for me? We changed into our night clothes- comfy t-shirts and trackpants while Gemma brought out my laptop and got 'Mean Girls' up on Netflix. That was our go-to movie on sleepovers. 

                                                     Just as I settled on the bed with the girls, my phone rang. The screen showed that it was Matt calling me. "Oooh! What could Matt want now?" Gemma asked with a grin. Ash giggled and Ellie hid a smile too. "What's up with you guys?" I asked. Gemma shook her head and motioned for me to answer. I went to the hallway to answer the call. "Hey Matt." I said. "Hi Bailey. Are you busy right now?" He asked. I rubbed the back of my neck. "I'm actually in the middle of a sleepover with the girls. Is it urgent?" I asked. "It is. A little. Come downstairs to your backyard." He said and ended the call.

                                                    Confused, I went downstairs. Mom was in her room, relaxing with a book. "Everything alright honey?" She asked. "Yeah. All good." I said and went to the backyard. Matt was standing there with a small paper bag and a bouquet of flowers. "Happy birthday." He smiled. I grinned and went outside to join him. "Thank you so much. What are you doing here?" I asked. "I knew it was your birthday and I wanted to surprise you. Like friends do." He said and handed me the flowers and the bag.

                                                   The flowers were gorgeous white ones which smelt like heaven. Inside the bag was a gift voucher for Barnes and Nobles and a pack of cupcakes. I inhaled their scent and stopped in my tracks. "Are these the Art Gallery cupcakes?" I asked in shock. "I heard you liked them." Matt shrugged. I put everything back in the bag and gave Matt a giant hug. "Thank you so much!" I said as I hugged him and Matt hesitantly wrapped his arms around me too.

                                                  "Anytime." He whispered, sending shivers down my spine. It hit me that this was the closest I had ever gotten to Matt, and it felt kinda good. He smelt like cologne and weirdly enough like the cupcakes he had gifted me. Without breaking the hug I looked at him. "Did you just pick up the cupcakes? Because you smell like the bakery." I asked. "Yeah. And I might have gotten myself a pack too that I finished in the car. Don't tell Jonah." Matt answered. I grinned.

                                                 He seemed to realise that his arms were still around me and he slowly pulled away. Awkwardness set in and I was suddenly unable to say anything coherent. "I gotta head back, before Mrs.Pratt starts to worry." Matt said. "Of course. You're staying with Jonah?" I asked. He seemed to hesitate for a second before saying, "Guys have sleepovers too, you know." I laughed. "Well, have fun. And thank you so much for the cupcakes and the flowers. And the gift vouchers. They're perfect." I said. "Glad you liked them." He said. 

                                                  We were silent until Ash's voice called out, "KISS ALREADY!" Matt and I jumped and turned to look at the window, where the girls were spying on us. Gemma pulled Ash away from the window, but what was done was done. My cheeks were flaming and and Matt was staring at his feet. "I gotta head back." Matt said to me. I nodded mutely. He looked up to the window and said, "You girls have fun. Thanks for helping me set this up!" He waved to them, wished me a happy birthday once again and left.

                                                 I took a few deep breaths before going back to the room. Once I kept the gifts down, I picked up a pillow and hurled it at Ash. "What the hell?" I asked as Ellie and the others collapsed into giggles. "Oh, come one! We could feel the tension all the way up here!" Ash exclaimed. I wasn't mad at them, I was just very, very embarrassed. 

                                                "And what about helping him set this up?" I asked. Amber pulled Sophie away from my shoes and said, "I helped him pick out the gifts. He approached Jonah who came to me and said that Matt wanted to surprise you on your birthday. The girls and I helped set up this 'meeting'." Amber said. I sighed and brought the cupcakes out. "Share them?" I offered and everything was back to normal. 

                                                 We stayed up all night, watching movies, eating and chatting till about five in the morning, when no one could keep their eyes open and we all fell asleep. The last thing I thought of was maybe Matt did have a soft side to him. And as Ellie had said in her half-asleep state, maybe I wouldn't mind hugging him again. 

A/N: Hello everyone! I hope you enjoyed this chapter! Don't forget to vote and comment if you did.

         I recently watched Moana and, oh my God, that movie hit me  right in the feels. If you haven't seen it, you absolutely have to! 

        Also, Fantastic Beasts was EPIC! Newt Scamander is such a adorable cutie-pie, he deserves to be protected from the world. I am so glad we finally have a hero from Hufflepuff. We (Hufflepuffs) were always seen as pushovers when in reality we are as brave and loyal as the other houses. What's your Hogwarts house? (If you haven't guessed yet, I'm a Hufflepuff.)

See you soon with the next chapter!

Lots of love-D            :)