12-Pardon

I took a deep breath as Ms. Young closed the door after her. Mr. Mitchell, our principal, looked at me with a disappointed expression. "What happened?" He asked. Matt looked at me, waiting for me to explain. I took a deep breath. "I was talking to a friend of mine when Matt came up to us and started an argument. He went too far and I got angry. My friend stopped me and he was going to drop me home when Matt caught my arm really tight. So I turned and kicked him." I finished. "Is that true?" Mr. Mitchell asked Matt. Matt stared at me before giving the principal a curt nod.

Mr. Mitchell massaged his temples. "Miss Stanford," He started, "This is very unexpected behaviour from you. I've never had to give you a disciplinary lecture before." He said gravely. Shame welled up in me and I stared at my shoes. He continued speaking. "I hope you know that you are equally wrong in this situation." Mr. Mitchell said and I nodded mutely. "Mr. Anderson. I must say I was not too surprised to know that you were involved in this. I advice you to get out of school grounds before starting a fight the next time." Mr. Mitchell said.

I sneaked a glance at Matt. He looked solemn, but there was no sign of guilt or shame on his face. In fact, he was meeting Mr. Mitchell's glare with his own blank stare. Mr. Mitchell sat back in his chair. "Now for your verdicts. Miss Stanford, seeing that you've had a clean slate so far, I give you a warning. If you are caught in such a situation again, I will be forced to punish you, which you know will not reflect well on your college applications." He said to me. I gulped and nodded. I hated disappointing my teachers. He turned to Matt. "Mr. Anderson, you will be serving detention for one week." He said.

"What?" Matt looked outraged. "How does she get away with a warning and I serve detention for the whole week?" He asked, pointing at me. Mr. Mitchell sighed. "I have had the entire teaching facility come in here today to complain about you. I had convinced them to give you another chance, Mr. Anderson, but this proves to all of us that you need disciplinary action." Mr. Mitchell said and Matt scoffed, glaring at the ceiling. "Detention is till three o'clock. If you don't attend it, I will have to bar you from playing the whole season." Mr. Mitchell said.

Matt shut up and pressed his lips together. "You can leave now." Mr. Mitchell said, and we both started to leave. "Miss Stanford. If I could have a word, please." He said. Matt walked out of the office, leaving me with the Mr. Mitchell. "Bailey, you know that you can tell us if you're going through something. You don't have to keep quiet." He said seriously. I smiled. "It's okay. I'm handling it." I said and walked out of the office.

Jonah was pacing outside the office. "Hey, what happened?" He asked me. His face was etched with worry and concern. I felt a little better when I saw that. "He left me with a warning but Matt is serving a week of detention." I informed him. He ran his fingers through his hair. "You okay?" I asked. "I don't know Lee. Come on, I'll drop you home." Jonah said.

I followed him out of school and into his car. As we drove out of school, I asked, "Seriously Jonah. What's wrong?" Jonah sighed. "It's Matt. I've never seen him this mad. He refused to talk to me. He literally pushed past me when he left he office. I don't know how I can make this up to him." Jonah said. He was genuinely worried about his friendship with Matt. I couldn't believe what Matt had done to deserve a friend like Jonah. And I mentioned it.

"It's not about what he does. It's about the Matt I know since childhood. Not everyone is a casanova from birth. " Jonah said. When I gave him a skeptical look, he tried again. "What if it was one of your friends? What if it was that Logan guy in Matt's place and you were in mine?" Jonah asked. He focused on the road as I pondered over the question.

If it was me and Logan in Jonah's situation, even I would've been desperate to make amends. I told him as much. "But you can't say that Matt did the right thing by starting a fight." I added. "I know. That's part of Matt. He can get a little aggressive at times." Jonah smiled as he stopped in front of my house. "Thanks for the ride." I said. Before I stepped out, I said, "I'll help you make it up to Matt. You fought because of me, I will help you fix it." I told him. Jonah nodded and I got out of the car. I watched Jonah drive away.

I was alone at home. Lynn was a sleepover with a friend of hers and Nate had gone to Dad's place for the night. Mom was at work, but thankfully, she had promised that she would be home early. I glanced at the clock. It was almost four o'clock. I made myself a cheese sandwich and went up to my room after locking the front door and shutting all windows except the ones in my room. I couldn't help it- I was paranoid about being home by myself. I sat in my room with my snacks and focussed on my assignments.

Two hours later, I was working on my English assignment when I heard a noise outside the house. I stopped the music playing on my laptop and listened closely. A twig cracked and leaves crunched, as if someone was walking through the garden. Fear began to spread through me. I peeked into the hallway. It was empty. I heard some thumps outside and jumped. I ran to Nate's room and grabbed his baseball bat.

I held the bat firmly and went around inspecting the house, using my phone's flashlight instead of switching the lights on. When I got into my mom's room, my phone rang, scaring the life out of me. It was my mom. I sighed in relief. "Hello? Mom?" I answered. "Hi honey. I called to tell you that I will be home in about ten minutes. I'm stopping to pick up some last minute groceries." Mom said. "Oh good. Come home as fast as you can." I said. "Are you okay Bailey?" Mom asked. I looked around at our empty house. "Yeah. The empty house is creeping me out." I said. Mom told me to get over it and hung up.

I left the bat in Nate's room and returned to mine. I was scrolling through my contacts, keeping Mom's on speed dial, in case something happened to me. I opened Twitter and plopped myself onto my bed. Or more precisely, someone on my bed.
A/N : Hello everyone! I wanted to thank you for 17k reads on TDK! It means so much to me! I plan to write a new extra chapter for it soon- I'll keep you posted.

QOTD: Who are your top OTP's?
AOTD: Mine are Precabeth, Malec and Sizzy.

See you on Sunday!
Love-D :)