38- Don't Anger Jade.

MATT'S POV.

MONDAY EVENING

JONAH'S HOUSE.

                                                            About halfway through the day, I realised that I had forgotten my phone in Jonah's car. No big deal, right? It's not like I was going to get any calls from my parents, or my sister, right? WRONG.

                                                           Jonah and I returned home from school to find a livid Jade sitting the Pratt's living room. "Hey Jade." I said. When she got up from her seat I thought she was coming in for a hug. I wasn't expected a rough shove that almost knocked me off my feet. "What the f-?" I began but Jade shouted louder than me. "Where the hell have you been?" "What are you talking about?" I screamed back. 

                                                         "I've been home for a day and no one seems to be coming home! I tried to call you, I left you a dozen messages but you never answered. Mom and dad seem to be avoiding my calls...why didn't you come home last night?" Jade asked angrily. I glanced at Jonah, who slowly made his way to the kitchen. Coward. "Because I was staying here, with Jonah." I said. "You decided to stay over without telling anyone?" Jade asked. "There wasn't any need to 'inform' anyone because I alone there anyway!" I said.

                                                        "What?" Jade seemed tired all of a sudden. "Mom and dad leave, when you're not home. I live alone." I said. Jade put her hands up. "I have no idea what you're talking about." She said. Jonah came back with some water for Jade. "You guys have some stuff to talk about." Jonah said and led us outside to his backyard. Before leaving, he stopped me and said, "Tell her the truth. And tell her you'll be staying with us." 

                                                     I sat opposite Jade in the grass and told her everything- about mom and dad staying away for days at a stretch, about the fast food, how Jonah lost his temper at me and how I'd decided to live with him every time Jade had to go out of town. We were silent as Jade processed the information. 

                                                     "Matt, I think something's wrong with mom and dad." She said after a while. "Yeah, I can tell." I scoffed. She held my hand. "No, I mean something's really wrong. With their relationship." She said. "Why do you feel that way?" I asked. I had never even considered the possibility that my parents had problems. Jade sighed. "Last week, I was talking to Gramma, and she mentioned them heading to New Jersey for some sort of counselling. I don't think she meant to tell me, it must've just slipped out. But I think their relationship is in trouble." Jade said.  

                                                      "So mom and dad might split up." I said gloomily. "No!" Jade exclaimed. "No, they might work it out. I mean, come on, it's not the first time they've fought! Remember my tenth birthday?" Jade asked. I nodded. Mom and dad had fought that day and dad had left the house. But he had returned with more presents during the party that evening- one for Jade and one for mom, as an apology. 

                                                     "You think they'll work this out?" I asked. "Most probably. I just hope they tell us the truth soon. What excuse have they been giving you?" She asked. "Business." I shrugged and Jade rolled her eyes.

                                                     The sun began to set as Jade and I sat and spoke about the past few days. It turned out that she had come home early because the auditions had been cancelled after the producer bowed out of the project. She had come home to find the house empty, but knew that I had practice after school. She had waited until nightfall for me to come home, then called me, but I didn't answer because I had left my phone at Jonah's place when I went to surprise Bailey.

                                                      I felt horrible for not telling her where I was. So I told her everything about Bailey's surprise. After a while Jade asked me, "Are you coming home tonight or are you staying here?" I thought about it. "Sure." I said. I didn't mind being home as long as I had someone with me.

                                                      We headed inside and I told Mrs.Pratt that I would be going home because Jade had returned. She insisted that Jade and I stayed fro dinner though- the special Pratt household Pot Roast. I lived for Mrs.Pratt's amazing dishes. Jonah, his parents, Jade and I dug in and no one spoke until their plates were clean. "That was amazing! Thank you so much Nina!" Jade said as she slumped back into her seat. "I'm glad you enjoyed it darling. You both should come over more often. I hardly see you now." Mrs.Pratt said.

                                                       We thanked Mrs.Pratt for dinner, promised her that we would visit more often and headed home. As I got into my bed and screamed good night to Jade across the hall, I felt like I was finally home.
A/N: Hello everyone! HAPPY NEW YEAR!! I hope 2017 brings you tides of good luck and happiness! Do you have any new year resolutions? Let me know!
I hope you enjoyed this chapter! If you did, don't forget to to vote and comment!
Lots of love-D     :)