34. Vampires & Humans Just Don't Mix

                                                                      ***Damon***

"She's dead, Damon. You have to accept that." Stefan said for the millionth time that minute. I lifted my head up, glared at him, and then shook my head.

"Shut up." I snapped. "You don't understand...she had my blood. She'll come back..."

"As a vampire?"

"No. A frigging unicorn." I said. "Yes, Stefan, a vampire. What else could it be?"

"Sorry." He said.

I looked at Nina's body, cradled in my arms. Her head lay against my chest and her legs slumped half on my knees and half on the floor. Her eyes were closed, and there was a gash on the left side of her head. Bleeding. Tempting Me.

But I couldn't.

Anyway, that was one part of my thoughts.

The other part? My other thoughts were focussed on killing Stefan. Kissing my girlfriend? Didn't he know better than that? Even if the frigging kid had saved my life, it didn't give him the right.

"She wouldn't do that."

"What?" Stefan asked.

"Nina. She wouldn't kiss you." I said. Stefan closed his eyes, sighed and then looked at me.

"You saw it."

"No I didn't." I hissed. "I saw you and Nina in some full on lip action. Her hands were on your chest, like she was trying to push you off. I didn't think about it at the time, but now it's pretty clear. You're on human blood, and you've just made me fucking kill my girlfriend."

Stefan sighed, but didn't deny. "Catch on well, don't you?"

"Get out of here before I rip your heart out." I threatened.

"Gladly."

With that, he was gone.

For a while, I sat there and thought. What was I going to do? I'd just killed my girlfriend, and her friends and family were going to come back any minute.

Think of her as someone else, Damon. A voice told me. What would you do if this was just some random girl that you thought tasted nice?

I'd stake her before she could go into transition, and then I'd bury the body.

So as much as I hated the idea, I picked Nina up in my arms and then ran to the balcony. I jumped onto the ground and ran, just ran without stopping.

I must have been running for about 5 minutes before I got to Mystic Falls. I stopped when I got to Fells Church, and then I gently placed Nina on the ground, careful not to make eye contact with her body.

I went over to the church, and then grabbed the shovel that I'd used when me and Stefan were digging up the entrance to the tomb.

And then I started digging.

About 5 minutes later, I had a perfectly good space to put the body in. I know it sounds horrible, but what else was I supposed to do? This is what I'd do if it was any other girl.

But Nina wasn't any other girl.

That's why it made it so hard.

I walked over to Nina and whilst hating myself entirely, I picked her body up. I wandered over to the hole in the ground and then slowly placed her down inside.