The Dead Stars

Hallie rang up on my phone.I rarely met her since I had Declan as a boyfriend.

"Hey Cocobear."

She sounded so happy. "Hey Hal. I miss you."

"Miss you too, Coe. How are things going?"

"Stressful. I have been on the verge of surviving."

"Why, Coe? Is there a problem?" She said, worried.

I looked at the bag where the three boxes of pasta were in.

"Naaah... just office work." I said.

She seemed relieved. "We should hang out soon..."

"Yeah, we should." I said. I smiled and felt a little bit better. I wasn't so sure if I still wanted to go through the house again. I was hoping too hard for Nathan to choose me.

I walked a few steps to the living room where I left off. I saw them laughing with each other, with no awkward feelings, their hands held and their eyes speaking. As soon as they paused to stare, I started to interrupt.

"Hey! There's chicken pesto, ham and bacon carbonara and turkey in tomato pasta. What's your pick?" I saw their hands reluctantly part, and I saw Nate agitated, like he was seen doing a crime with some woman. I sat beside him, and he placed his hand on mine.

"I think I'd like the pesto." Nate said I smiled and set the box out for him.

"I like ham and bacon" I said, with Gail synchronizing with my same exact words. Then the thing goes on.

"No you get the ham and bacon." She said.

"No, you should. It was my fault that I bought three different flavors." I said,

She shoved the thing to me. And I smiled at her, like she was still the old Biggie I ran to when I had ruined days.

"Come on, Big. It's just pasta. You should have it," Nate smiled and I guess he was happy because he thought I was okay with Gail around. I mean I haven't seen the love of my life for eight years, and now there's a new threat which by the way was a close friend of mine? What could be worse? Yeah, Phil.

Phil was even more enthusiastic to see Gail back. He hugged her until he almost broke her ribcage.

"How come you never called, Gail?" He said. He looked so jumpy and happy.

"I don't know Phil. I just... wanted to get away for a while I guess." she remarked.

O come on, Biggie, no word on Eric? Not even about your kids? I wanted to pull her hair at that moment. I decided to hitch a back up,

"She's been a good friend of mine, Phil. She has wonderful kids."

I saw Biggie's eyes dart into me.

"D- did you say kids, Babe?" Nate asked, while he nudged me on the back. Thingies still crawled through my nape when he called me babe.

"Um... yes, she said kids. They are beautiful kids... my um... kids." Gail said in response.

I was glad she did admit. I smiled slyly at Nate, and I saw his disappointed face. Shoot, pain sprang inside of me. I knew how much he loved her. I wanted to tell myself that had moved on, but he faked a smile to me, proving that he hadn't.

"That's great, Gail. Maybe you could bring your family here next week, and we'll see how they're doing." Phil said, maybe feeling the intensity between us three.

"Darling, come here! I have a surprise for you!" Phil called on Francine. Francine hurriedly came over and shrieked when she laid eyes on Gail. She even shed some tears.