The Night

Sorry it took me too long to update, so busy!

-Molly Macaroni

Nate smiled at me and knelt down, his knee touching the ground. His palm was spread in front of me. My heart was throbbing, and the butterflies filled my empty stomach in an instant. I was so frustrated, I didn't know what to do. I was anticipating for a "date", and I fancied us in a classy restaurant, talking about things under the golden sun. My eyes were filled with clouds of emotions, imagination and romantic fantasies, that I didn't hear him ask a question. I just saw a curious look register on his eyes. I blushed tomato red of embarrassment and I felt a pang of striking alertness seep through my skin.

"Uh, may I beg your pardon?..." I shyly blurted out.

"I just asked... Um... uh... May I... invite you to...(I had eyes of expectancy. I knew a date was coming.) dinner." SHOOT! It ain't a date. Clearly, it was just a dinner. He stood up as I unconsciously draped my feeble hand on top of his laden palm. "Linda cooked great food for us. I also told her to make it a seafood special evening." He left the tips of my hands a kiss and opened a small closet, far upon the corner of the room. Nate pulled a wheelchair and carefully supported my back braces with his muscular hands. He fastened the small belts so I won't fall off. He was so quiet. I was staring at this man I treasured. I knew that I'll never forget his facial features. He smiled as he continued, happy and contented at what was happening. Nate blindfolded my eyes and led me to the ramp. I panicked as I felt the wheels going down. When I fidgeted, he held my hand and said "Trust me, I won't let you fall of course." I simply smiled and held tight.

"Uh... Naaaatee... My eyes are kinda strained. Could you remove the blindfold already?" I whispered as soon as we went down. But, everything was so quiet that I almost thought Nate left me alone. I ramained uncomfortably quiet as I felt the cold gush of wind brush my cheeks

"Are you ready?" Someone from behind said, holding the blindfold knot

"I am." I nodded.

The person removed the knot and I brushed my eyes with my palm. WOW! What I saw was beyond my imagination. Nate was sexy in his longsleeved shirt, and messy hair. In his hands were flowers filled with carnations and lilies. The place was full of night lights. The fences were brightly lit as well. An table for two sat in the middle of the lawn. There was only three of us. Linda, Nate and I. Nate led me to the seat, lit with a candle light centertable. Everything was perfect, and magical. I was so entranced at the moment that when Nate started to approach me, I hugged him immediately. I could tell that he was surprised. That was actually the first time we ever had unobligatory physical contact.

"I hope you liked everything." Nate said, while handing me the flowers

"It's Perfect, Nahan Hall."I smiled as I held unto his neck. I gave him a quick kiss on the cheek.

"I... I am very happy too." Nate said. Ugh! I though he was going to spill an "I love you" WHAT THE HELL. Anyway, he kept things hanging. He called for Linda and asked her to serve dinner.

"Um, Coe, I would really love to have a dance with you, but..." Nate trotted along. I stopped his words by putting a finger to hush his lips.

"Challenge Accepted Nate, I can dance." I said, smiling

"Yes? You can? Um, How?"

"Yes Mister, and I'm only going to do it if you help me."

"Of course, beautiful." With that response, Nate rose up from his seat, cleared the way and moved towards me. He took both of my hands, while his other arm supported my waist. He touched my braces and lifted me up slowly, I felt so peaceful in his arms. I felt the pain the moment I straightened up, but Nate overcame all of it with his still eyes. We danced, or mostly, did the hugging with slight movements as he hummed a "Blue danube" to my ears. Our bofies coalesced as one. I really felt great sparks across every angle of my body. I knew how much I myself had grown to love this guy.

"You are incredible" He said as he smelled the whiff of shampoo I used on my hair.

"You are too." I said, my head now resting on his chest.

"I am so happy I got to know you."

"I am too."

"I... I think there's a great possibility that I might fall in love with you. I like you so much, Colette." He continued whispering, but when these words came out from him, I felt reluctant. I can't tell him that I like him back.What came into my mind are the thoughts of how the "us" I have always desired would be very impossible. He lived in Colorado, as a would- be- busy- mister- doctor while I am a studying young girl who lived in California. I did not respond to his last words. The next few minutes was filled with silence. When I was tired, I nudged Nate, and told him that I was hungry. He gently put me down, and he tried to manage a quick smile, but no matter how hard he tried, it just won't workout. I still saw the disappointment on his eyes.

We both finished our supper with awkward silence. Nate then brought me to my room. After he unstrapped me off the wheelchair, he led me to my bed, said a quick goodnight closed the lights, which left only the lamp lit up and left.

I was instantaneously woken by the big ball of sun above me the next morning. I thought of what Nate said, and blushed to realize that his boldness to admit his feelings toward me was in fact, sweet. I partly regretted the thing with not admitting my feelings to Nate. I stared at the green button beside me... the one that leads to...him. I pressed it twice, but all I heard was a lousy dialtone from the other side of the room. Positive, Nate's not in his room. Maybe he took his breakfast. I pressed the red button which led to Linda or the "room service". A cheery voice of a woman welcomed me.

"Hello Colette, I see you're awake. Do you want something to eat?"

Oh yeah, it was Linda

"Hi. Linda, um. No, I'm not really hungry, but I'd just like to know if Nate's in there... um... at the kitchen, cause he's not in his room."

"Ahh, Nathan. He left early today, headed to work a shift in the hospital. I heard from him that this day is kinda busy, so he might arrive later than usual."

"Oh..." Was all I could manage to say. My happy expression morphed into a sad one. I didn't expect Nate to just leave and not say anything. Was it that painful?

Time was ticking so slowly. I loved the feel of the waterbed in my limbs, but still, everything was so boring. I decided to call Liz. I dialed her number on my phone.

"Hello Liz?" I asked

"Hi Coe!!" She responded

"Hows home?"

"Daddy misses you alot."

"I miss dad too." I rounded up with few more things and listened to some reminders by Liz, but I never brought up what happened last night.

I was kinda worried and I really felt bad about how I reacted to Nate's confession last night.I pounced with anger and punched the bed. My back really ached but I didn't care. This time, tears were all streaming across my face. I lost my hope of being happy again, even as I was handicapped, and worse, I lost Nate.

As I thought of him, I planned on a surprise. I tried my best to stand firm on both feet and walk at least just towards the door. I held my brace up high and walked a few steps to the door. I managed to near through the door and walk out. I was thinking of Nate as I did so. I opened the door and saw that I was on the hallway. An achievement! A proud smile travelled through my lips. I held to the walls as I slowly... slowly walk. then, got used and tried to go on... faster... faster... faster... till I was finally walking. I planned to make rounds at the whole floor, so I continued walking, walking...walking... practiced walking... walking... walking over again and it feels so good. I walked proudly as I walked further... until... whooosh!!! I slipped and closed my eyes immidiately, preparing to land on the floor with a thud, but then, boom. I did land, but not with a thud, not with pain. aI landed at a strong pair of arms. Different arms. I have already memorized Nate's arms, but these are not Nate's!