The Storm's Whiplash

Nathan Hall's POV

"Nate?"

She was standing there, beautiful as she was before... the last time I saw her. Her hair was gathed unto her shoulder as it cascaded with the wind. Her eyes mirrored her heart... her heart whom I knew still loved me. She was walking... closer... closer... closer... We stood in front of the empty lot, her arm brushing against mine. Once I felt the static electricity of my skin, it was an instinct to move back. I jolted away, and didn't say a thing. I walked back inside my desolated house.

She went after me and intentionally held my hand. "Nate, I didn't know that you were the one she was looking for.Had I known, you know that I would not come to see you. We had an agreement, right?" Gail looked at me, her eyes full of guilt and apology.

I then brushed her hand away, gently and carefully, so as not to offend her, but deep in me, I blamed her for my loss. I wanted to tell her that, but at the end, she was as desperate as I was.

"She was jealous of you. She knew that you were the only woman I ever loved before her."

"You should've not told her, Nate. She was the direction of the force, not me. You should've just protected her and not told about me."

"I had to, Abegail! She found about Kevin in her dreams and I know that she was, and still is the direction of the force. I knew Kevin won't let me win, nor be happy for myself. I told her that Kevin and I both had feelings for you, and like Coe, you chose me, but I killed Kevin despite all that."

There was a deafening silence. Her eyes were barren, meaningless, as if she had seen a blown away fire.

"Can you blame me for loving you, and still loving you? Nate, I didn't choose this life. I was desperate to see you, to feel you. to hold you. Yes, you're right. Like Coe, I chose you, and like Coe, I waited, and waited and waited for... nothing!" This time, tears were drawn from across her cheeks. "I didn't marry Eric because I wanted to, but I married him to protect you! I thought that if I would marry someone else, the force between yin and yang, you and Kevin will be neutralized, because none will win but I was wrong." She was uncontrollable. I tried to put my hands around her, but she turned away, and continued.

"The moment I knew it was you whom she loved, I solved the puzzle pieces. I married Eric eight years ago, on the same day she met the accident. I turned the table to her. The force was not neutralized, it was turned to another direction, Nate. It's Colette."

"Please, Gail, don't put Coe into this mess."

"She already is!" she snapped.

There was nothing but silence that was preposterous to my feelings. I wanted to blurt that I didn't need her to fix the world for me, but I know that without Gail, I would be a worse player in the Yin-Yang game.

"So, what do you think should I do?"

She looked up to me, her face full of sadness and pain.

"Nate, it's either you let her go... or you fight against the current again. That's the only way you could neutralize this. It's a never-ending battle. You owe something to Kevin, and you have to give it back."

It was dawning into me. Gail was telling the truth. The whole reality of the situation. "It's Coe whom I'd have to give."

She simply nodded.

I didn't talk to her or to anyone, not to Phil, not even to Linda. I was regressing. She was right about everything. It's a never ending battle, which would only be resolved if I give up. Give up, and once that I have already given her up, I could live my shitty, empty, meanigless life on my own. With full intution and an immutable decision, I unconsciously found myself walking over to Gail's chamber. I stared at her small body as she was sitting at the windowseat, staring at the infinite waves of loneliness.