00:78

DISCLAIMER: Box of tissues is needed, lol jk.

chapter seventy-eight |
Y o u r  p o v

He looks up at me, unsure that I'm actually standing in front of him. I can't believe I'm standing here either. I study how he runs his fingers through his hair, that grew immensely ever since I last saw him. I look up at him, watching his face. His pupils seem bigger & slower than usual. His eyes never left my face; it's like we can't  believe that we are standing in front of each other. He steps back, allowing me to come into the small loft. My eyes scan around the vastly large building. His whole wall displays the view of the city that never sleeps. The beautiful skyscrapers, the streets consumed with people—you can see everything.

"What happened to your date?" He asks, while closing the front door. I turn around. He leans his back on the front door, watching me closely. He tried to sound like he was uninterested in the question, but from the way he's watching me, I can tell he cares more than he's letting on.

"Rescheduled." I say.

He nods his head casually. "Is he your boyfriend?" He asks. He bites his lip, studying my face.

"Nope." I say. I turn away from him, still taking in the view from all the way up here. "Do you like him?" He asks. Look whose jealous.

"I like everyone,"

"Do you have feelings for him?" He asks more specifically.

"No I don't." I sigh. "We just met,"

"Why are you meeting up with a guy you don't know?" He asks, with concern. Look who thinks they can care about what I do & who I see? It's a little to late for that now.

"When did you come back here?" I ask, completely avoiding his question. I'm curious, I want to know if he actually came here for me. I turn around to face him once he didn't respond. "Last night." He says softly. I found myself focusing my gaze, once again, out the window.

"What made you come back?" I whisper softly. "What?" He asks. I turn around, becoming revealed to his confused eyes. "Why did you come back?" I ask again. The room is so silent all that I can be heard is the loud car honking of the cab drivers down below. "To see you," He says softly. I think for a moment, "You see me." I say to him, gesturing my arms to my body. I hear a deep sigh release from his mouth.

"I want to apologize,"

I turn around, watching his eyes perk up once our eyes lock. I sit on the couch, "I shouldn't have left you like that." He admits. I  watched him profoundly, as he stressfully runs his hands over his face. "I'm sorry. I know I've said this before—but I hate myself for leaving you all alone. I was going crazy." He says. I watch him thoughtfully.

"I f-forgive you." I say lowly. The room is so quiet, I felt like we could basically hear each other's heart beat.

"If you were going crazy, why did it take you so long?" I ask, feeling myself become more upset over the whole situation, "How did you stay sane for so long?", He looks down at the ground momentarily.

"Are you asking if I was with someone else?" He asks. Have you? Not that I care, "No,"

"Something happened—but it was a mistake. I shouldn't have to explain myself, you were just about to go on a date before I came." He says coldly. My eyes open surprisedly.

I scoff,

"If you didn't leave me, none of this would have—,"

"Just know that I love you, okay?" He cuts me off. I look at him cautiously. "I didn't want you to come here to argue. I just wanted to see you one last time & tell you how much I fucking love you. And how much you've changed me." He breathes, One last time. I feel my eyes watering as the words leave his mouth. I notice that he's on the verge of crying too.

Suddenly I hear the loud sirens outside. My eyes twist in confusion. I walk up to the windows peering through the large glass . Streams of cop cars come flooding through the crowed streets of Manhattan. SWAT trucks come rushing through the streets, causing my heart to race. All I can think about is Jason saying one last time, and what that actually meant. My eyes start to fill with water once I see them stop abruptly in front of the complex.

Everything is quickly starting to make sense.

I spin around, while a tear falls down my cheek. "No." I whisper, shaking my head vigorously. He couldn't have possibly done, what I think he's done. He would never turn himself, I know that for a fact. "This can't be happening?" I breathe as I my pained eyes look up at him. The loud police sirens & car doors slamming outside blurred into one. I study his eyes, praying that everything I'm thinking isn't true. His eyes stares deeply into mine, it looks like he's on the verge of falling apart. I take a few steps forward, advancing towards him—but he steps back.

"What did you do?" I rush. I feel like there's a huge lump in my throat, my mouth felt dry—I felt like I couldn't even speak.  I felt like I was having a panic attack.

"I'm doing this for you." He says softly. Is that why he came all the way back here? To turn himself in? No, I don't believe it—He would never do that. I shake my head, my sight starts to become blurry from the tears that start to build up in my eyes. I couldn't think straight, my mind couldn't process anything. All I could process is the suffocating noise that stems from outside. "No, I don't want this."

I search for his eyes, hoping that he'd see that I'm mentally & emotionally falling apart. "You can't leave m—me." My voice cracks. I try to walk up to him but he pulls a hand gun from behind his back. "You can't come near me!" He yells, aiming it towards me. What? What the hell is going on? I know he isn't going to shoot me, but I just don't understand. I watch him with a startled look. "Why are you doing this?" I ask him, all I can see are his hands shaking & his breathing is irregular.

In this moment, I'm confused. I can't tell if I'm dreaming or if this is actually happening to me. Did he actually turn himself in? Why would he do that? When did he do that? "You just can't touch me, okay? You're the victim." He says, nothing makes sense. Victim? I watch cautiously as he aims the gun at me. "You were always the victim." He whispers softly, while studying may face. I watch as a small tear streams down his face.

I suddenly hear loud pounding on the front door. "NYPD, open the door!" Someone yells. My heart beats rapidly as I watch my life fall apart in front of my eyes. My knees give in & my body drops to the ground. "Please," I beg, running my fingers through my hair.  Tears are streaming down my face, as I watch him.

The front door busts open, I love you is the last thing I hear him say before he's tackled to the ground.

A/N: Thank you for reading. Thank you for all the wonderful & motivational comments. Thank you for giving my story a chance, Thank you for voting, sharing!!! It means a lot & I hope you look forward to reading any other stories from me.