Chapter 8 | Choiceless Mistakes

Chapter 8- Choiceless Mistakes

"Forget what hurt you, but never forget what it taught you" - Unknown

***
WHAT WAS THAT?

Stopping dead in our tracks, we became more wary of our surroundings as our hearts slammed against our chest. Fast. Furious. The only sounds around us was coming from insects and birds. Even the air around us seemed to have frozen. Time. Everything. They were unmoving.

Eyes falling on Adam, his eyes were knotted in total focus as they darted from side to side. His hand was on his gun, ready to take it out any minute, any second. "Prepare. Someone is coming from..." He stopped for a second before frowning and continuing, "The right." He said, swinging around almost immediately as he shot a bullet, determination written all over his face.

Swinging to the right, I saw a man clad in dark green shirt going towards Adam, dodging bullets as Adam shot them continuously at him. My hand went down to my gun the next moment as I fired at that man furiously.

Aiming carefully at him, I released the trigger. It went straight for his stomach but had no effect. A stupid smirk was plastered to his face, stirring nothing but anger within me. It was then I realized. He had a damn bulletproof vest on.

Glancing at Adam, I realized he had noticed the same thing. Stuffing out guns back into our holders, we made our way towards him with determination burning like fire within us.

Realizing that we had discovered his 'secret', he immediately took out his gun, firing at us rapidly, swinging his gun from side to side. Too easy. Being trained since young, Adam and I had no problem dodging the bullets.

Especially those that just go from side to side at the same speed.

Rolling my eyes, I focused on making my way to him without getting shot. Reaching him first, Adam swiped the gun out of his grip in one swift motion, grabbing the gun midair with the other.

Stuffing it in his other holder, he twisted the man's arm behind his back as a contented smirk filled his face when the man groaned in utter agony. Not wanting to miss out the 'fun', I threw a few punches at the man, making thick red liquid flow down the side of his mouth and nose.

Blood.

Placing a hand on his nose and mouth as he felt the liquid under, a look of horror and pain flashed across his face. No pity. I proceeded to aim a flying kick at the man's shin before shoving him backwards with force, making him moan in pain.

Not waiting further, Adam pounced on him and grabbed his collar, gritting his teeth as he smirked. Struggling under the iron grip of Adam, he finally stopped, knowing his struggling was of no use. "Well, I'm so gonna die today, right?" He said, with an ironic look of confidence in his eyes.

A smirk filled Adam's face but was back to focus the next moment as the man reached into his hidden holder and pulled out another gun. Placing the gun at Adam's neck, a smirk filled his face as confidence started to overwhelm him.

"Lay a finger on me and he will go down." He growled at me, sending fury running through my veins. Narrowing my eyebrows at him, I clenched and unclenched my fists in anger.

Heart slamming furiously against my chest, I tried to think of possible solutions to get Adam out of this situation. Eyes landing on Adam, I could see him breathing hard, letting the brave side of him show on his face.

The man's eyes darted to me again as he stared at me for a moment, lips curling into an evil smile. "So, are you going to let me go-"

He was caught off guard as Adam snatched the gun from his hand, pointing it at the man's head in a swift motion as he frowned at the man, unimpressed.

Shock immediately took over the man as he slowly shrink back down in fear, eyes filled with nothing but horror as he stared at Adam and me with pleading eyes.

"Please, let me go. I will do anything." He begged as tears welled up in his eyes.

"Well, considering the fact you wanted to kill me just seconds ago, I think it would be pretty hard to even consider that." Adam growled at him, making him shrink further back.

"Tell us. Tell us what the hell are you guys up to that make us have to kill you?" I said sternly, eyebrows narrowing at the man.

Turning to face me slowly with tears slowly streaming down his cheeks as he trembled slightly, he bit his lip in doubt, considering my question.

Finally after a while, he looked up before taking a deep breath. "I know you wouldn't believe me but... But I really have no idea. We all just know there are people tracking us, wanting to kill us... but we have no idea why." He said as more tears flowed down his cheeks, making his eyes puffy and red.

My heart immediately went out to him as the three of us stood there in silence, with Adam pointing the gun to his head. Adam's gaze fell on me, as if seeking my opinion. Biting my lip, my heart hardened the next moment as I thought things through. Staring at Adam, I knew we had similar thoughts.

A mission is a mission.

And it has to be completed.

Giving him a short nod, he held his gun closer to the man's head as he aimed it at him. I shut my eyes as I knew what was to come. This always happened. Yet it always haunts me. Letting tears well up in my eyes, I kept them tightly shut, keeping them away from the harsh reality.

BANG!

***
Hi guys! I hope you liked this chapter! Please remember to VOTE and COMMENT! It really gives me motivation to continue to write!Thanks for reading! :)