twelve;

relationship saver

x

We pulled up outside of a tall, modern apartment complex, only a few blocks away from my house. I stepped outside the car and slung my bag on my shoulder before following Mercy and Fergal inside.

We stepped inside the elevator as Fergal pressed the button. We waited as we went up further and further.

The elevator took us straight up to their apartment. It was spacious and open, followed by a huge window that showed the view of the city beneath us.

"You both live in this penthouse?" I asked in awe as I put my bag on the sofa. I walked over to the window and admired the view.

"Mercy's penthouse," Fergal corrected me. "I've just been staying with her for the past couple of weeks."

I nodded as I walked back over to the sofa and sat down. Fergal began rummaging through one of the cupboards and he pulled out two crisps packets. He threw one over to me.

"Thanks." I said as I opened the packet up. I began eating the crisps, and turned on the TV to find Big Bang Theory was on.

Moments later, and Fergal joined me by rolling onto the sofa and landing on the floor. We laughed at his failed attempt.

"I'll do that next time I want to sit down." I said as he composed himself and sat down properly next to me.

We sat watching the TV for what felt like forever. It was only when I heard a door open behind me that I snapped back to reality.

"You didn't tell me you were having a shower." Fergal said. I turned around to find Mercy standing there with a dressing gown on and her hair thrown in a messy bun.

"Well I'm sorry that I don't share every detail of my life with you," She responded sharply. "And I had a bath, for your information."

I looked at Fergal who was staring at his hands. He locked eyes with mine, and I frowned, motioning over to where Mercy stood in the kitchen.

He shook his head, but he looked almost guilty, like he said something wrong.

We watched the rest of the programme in silence, and it was only until the end when Fergal spoke.

"I'm gonna go for a walk," He said suddenly. "I'll get some pizza on the way back."

He stood up and walked over to the coat rack standing by the door. Mercy looked up at him from her magazine.

"Why are you going for a walk?" She asked. "Something wrong?"

He shook his head no, before whispering a goodbye before leaving. I looked at Mercy, and she smiled sadly.

"I don't mean to seem nosy," I said. "But are you and Fergal.. okay?"

She shrugged and looked out the window, but the sadness filled her eyes as well as tears. I stood up and walked over to her.

"Do you wanna talk? Get some stuff on your chest? I'll make a coffee if you want." I offered, and she nodded. I took out two cups, and began to prepare the coffee.

"Me and Fergal have been arguing a lot more recently," Mercy said. "We both act all happy and loved up at work, but we get home and we just argue over stupid things. I want to be with Fergal, because I really do love him, but I can't help but feel like we rushed into this relationship, y'know? We only started seeing each other 3 months ago, and we became a couple only a month ago."

I listened intently as I made the coffee. Once I finished I walked to the couch with the cups and placed them down. She thanked me before drinking it.

"It's normal for couples to argue, remember that. And I'm no expert with this, but if you really love Fergal, than you would try to make it work. I'm sure Fergal would do the same."

She smiled, and hugged me. "Thank you, I really needed to hear that." She pulled apart. "Anyway, let's talk about you and Colby!"

I rolled my eyes, but I was laughing. "We have a date tomorrow, and I'm really excited. I can't remember the last time I was in a happy relationship."

She cooed. "We have to go shopping tomorrow and get you a dress so you look good for Mr Loverboy!" She nudged me and we laughed.

We changed into our pajamas, just in time for Fergal to arrive back home. We spent the rest of the night dining on pizza and potato wedges whilst watching old films. Fergal and Mercy acted fine with each other, but I couldn't help but feel sorry for both of them; I know what it feels like for a relationship to not work out, so I'm hoping that they fix their issues soon.