seventeen;

the nicest breakup

x

I left the arena after mine and Fergals talk. Everything he said about Colby was right; how he didn't even pay attention to me anymore, not since I got back from Nicole's house. I decided to talk to Colby- but not right now. I'm exhausted, after the day's events.

I pulled up outside my apartment block, and made my way inside. Once reaching my apartment, I fumbled with my keys, trying to find the right keys. Once inside, I set my bag down and turned on the lights.

"I was wondering when you would show up."

I jumped, only to find that it was Colby sitting on one of the stools in the kitchen. He stood up and walked over to me.

"Can we talk?"

I nodded slowly, and followed him to the sofas. We sat in uncomfortable silence, until I piped up.

"So, how has your day been?"

"It's been great," he responded. "I sat in the arena for a while, waited for you afterwards and you were nowhere to be found."

I gulped. "Sorry. I didn't know you were coming."

"It's fine. I figured you wanted to go home straight after, so I walked to your locker room."

I frowned. How come I didn't see him? He really is a ninja.

"Dani, if you like Fergal, you can tell me y'know? I won't be mad."

I sighed, and nodded guiltily. He stood up, and pulled me into a hug.

"It's fine, really. We rushed into things, and we weren't ready. We'll remain friends, right?"

I pulled back. "Of course! I've known you too long to get rid of the friendship. You know too much." I smiled. He laughed.

"So it's not weird if I start seeing other people? Like if you wanna see Fergal?" Colby asked, grabbing his jacket.

I nodded. "Why? You like someone? C'mon, spill the beans Lopez." I grinned.

"Well, I may have a thing for Mercedes. I've been talking to her a lot lately. She's a really nice girl, and she's gorgeous."

I smiled, a true smile, not a forced one. It's nice to break up with someone and remain friends. Possibly the nicest breakup there ever could be.

I said goodbye to Colby, and turned the TV on. I pulled my phone out, and opened the messages.

To: Irish Leprechaun😂🍀
Me and Colby broke up.

From: Irish Leprechaun😂🍀
Shit, you ok?

To: Irish Leprechaun😂🍀
I'm fine. Possibly the nicest breakup possible tbh aha

From: Irish Leprechaun😂🍀
Well it's good to know that your ok :)

To: Irish Leprechaun😂🍀
Colby said he doesn't mind if I start seeing anyone else now sooo

From: Irish Leprechaun😂🍀
Well I'm a lucky guy, aren't I? ;)

To: Irish Leprechaun😂🍀
Calm down fella, never said that I like you :P

From: Irish Leprechaun😂🍀
Alright then Danielle😂FaceTime?

We ended up Facetiming for 3 hours. Halfway I think I fell asleep, as all I can remember Fergal saying is "make sure you don't fall asleep."