thirty-three;

baby fever

x
Phoenix, Arizona

The sun beamed down on the Phoenix roads as I cruised down at a leisurely pace, with Nicole at my side. We were both visiting Brie and Bryan from Friday to Saturday, to visit the newly-born Birdie-Joe Danielson.

"I still can't get over the fact that I'm an auntie," I said, fiddling with the radio to lower the volume. "we're aunties. How crazy is that?"

Nicole nodded. "I knew it wasn't long before they had a baby, but I feel like it all happened so fast. One minute she's retired, next she's a mother."

"They have been trying for a long time," I pointed out, turning down their road. "I'm glad things worked out for them, y'know? They're perfect for each other."

I pulled into their drive and parked behind their car. I could see Brie walk out the front door, Bryan following close behind.

Nicole got out first to grab our suitcase, then me. I pulled my sunglasses off my head and onto my face as I took Brie into an embrace.

"Hey sis," she mumbled into my ear. "It's so good to see you again."

"You too, newbie mommy," I grinned, pulling apart. "I can't wait to see her."

"She's asleep right now, but I'll probably wake her up soon." Brie said, walking over to Nikki to hug her as well.

"You both got all of your stuff in one suitcase?" Bryan said, arms crossed as he walked over to us. "I'm impressed."

We all laughed as Nikki pulled the case along, hugging Bryan before walking up into the house. I also gave Bryan a hug before we all walked inside.

Infant-related things lied everywhere as we walked in. Even though Birdie was only a few weeks old, there was already a high-chair and toys set up, as well as a play mat and baby swing.

"Lots of stuff that goes into having a child, right?" Brie said, noticing my shocked expression.

I nodded. "Or you two are extremely high on baby fever, and got every contraption humanly possible."

They both chuckled as Bryan took our suitcase and placed it in the hallway. Us girls walked into the open kitchen, flopping down on the seats whilst Brie went and poured us drinks.

"Do you have any elderflower?" Nikki asked, sitting down next to me.

"Uh-huh," Brie sighed, pouring us all the same drink. "I'm surprised you didn't ask for tequila or something."

"Well, I would like to remember seeing my niece for the first time sober." Nikki grinned as Brie handed us our drinks. We thanked her and took small sips.

Brie put her drink onto the table and leaned back. "So champ, how's life with the gold to your name?"

"Stressful," I answered honestly, earning a chuckle from the girls. "but I wouldn't change it for anything."

"I'll always remember winning the title," Brie said, nonchalantly. "it feels like such a huge honour, and it is. You get to represent the company around the world-it's insane." She punched my arm playfully. "I've always known in my heart that you would be an amazing champion."