twenty-nine;

re-visit the past

x

"You're up in five Dani!" called out one of the backstage staff, rushing past me with a clipboard in hand. I nodded and stood up, slinging my Women's Championship over my shoulder. I looked at myself in the mirror one last time before walking over to guerrilla.

Many people complimented me on my championship win on the way, planting a grin on my face. Once at guerrilla, I skimmed through the script and began warming up. I had a promo against Sasha/Mercy, which would result in a match.

I looked over to my left to see Mercy standing there, taping her hands whilst reading through the script lying on the table. It's hard to admit that we haven't spoken now for over a year, but after everything involving Fergal, I guess we both mentally decided to distance ourselves away from each other. Apart from promos or tag team matches, we haven't breathed a word to each other.

I'm not going to lie: it's hard with her not by my side. I couldn't help but imagine what Mercy and I would have done this past year with her by my side. We were planning to travel out to Australia at one point, but that was thrown out the window. I glanced down at my championship now fastened around my waist. How happy would Mercy of been yesterday if we were still talking, I thought. I smiled sadly, and went on with my pre-match ritual.

I was handed a microphone as I stood by the curtain, waiting for my que. Once I was given the thumbs up, I stepped through the black fabric and onto the Raw stage.

The crowd cheered loudly as I stood at the top of the ramp, admiring the view before un-fastening my championship and holding it proudly in the air as I strolled down to the ring. Hopping up the steel stairs, I climbed into the ring and waited for my music to die down before bringing the microphone to my mouth.

"Last night, I single-handedly took out not just Charlotte Flair and Sasha Banks, but the former Raw Women's Champion Bayley to claim my throne at the top of this Women's division. And what a long time coming it's been: I've had to watch as my sisters took my spotlight becoming the longest reigning Divas Champion and Daniel Bryan's wife."

The crowd booed slightly as I pulled a disgusted look on my face. "You're right: it is a bad thing that I was stuck in the shadows for that long, because everyone in this arena knows what's true: I don't need my sisters to get ahead in this business. I don't need my sisters to be the best women's wrestler of all time, and I sure as hell don't need my sisters to win championships, as I proved last night."

I raised my championship in the air once again as the crowd cheered. Slinging it back over my shoulder, I turned towards the ramp. "And everyone backstage knows what's true also. I am the pure best athlete the WWE has to offer today. I'm better than Naomi, I'm better than Seth Rollins, I'm better than Finn Balor-"

The crowd "ooh"-ed as I made that last point. It was no secret that Fergal and I had broken up to the WWE Universe by this point.

I smirked and carried on talking. "But most of all, I'm better than that try-hard, wannabe, arrogant purple-haired little troll Sasha Banks."

The crowd booed, following a few "we want Sasha" chants. I turned back to the audience. "Oh, you guys want Sasha? Well let's see if she's as tough as she thinks she is, and come out here and face me."

The crowd cheered and looked towards the ramp, waiting for Sasha's music to hit. I waited a few moments, and began to laugh.