chapter 15: merry christmas mother fucker

Harley:

"Bitch! Get your ass up! It's Christmas eve!" I heard someone whisper in my ear. I rolled over and saw Bowie standing there.

"Fuck!" I screamed.

"Harley Joseph watch your mouth!" Tyler yelled from the living room.

"Sorry Dad!" I yelled back.

"Jesus Christ you bitch, I thought you were dying," I said shoving Bowie.

"Well, I can breathe with my trusty dusty oxygen tank," She said flinging her backpack.

"Well shit. Come on, let's get food," I said pulling her wrist.

"I'm not that hungry. You eat," She said, adjusting her maroon beanie.

"Fine. But come with me. I'm scared,"

"What the hell are you scared of?" She laughed.

"I don't want Tyler to yell at me," I laughed. She smiled and we walked into the kitchen.

"Harley, you need to stop cursing," Tyler said.

"Come on dude. Chill out man. It's radical," I said in a surfer voice.

"It's not radical. It's bad." He replied.

"Come one man. It's totally tubular. Gnarly, you see where I'm coming from?" Bowie said.

"I give up. Curse again and i'll throw a grape at you," Tyler said.

"Merry Christmas mother fu-" I started.

"Eh!" Tyler yelled tossing a grape. I laughed and ran and gave him a big hug.

"Sorry Pops," I laughed.

"It's radical. Just don't do it again. You dig?" Tyler laughed.

"I dig." I laughed.

"This isn't the outsiders by S.E. Hinton can we please stop now?" Bowie laughed from the couch.

"Haha. Now come help me make pancakes." Jenna called from the top of the steps.

"Mom!" I yelled. I ran up the steps and gave her a hug.

"Merry Christmas angel," Jenna smiled. We walked down the steps and Jenna started getting out everything for the pancakes.

"Uh, Bo?" I asked.

"What?" She coughed.

"Where's Josh?" I asked.

"Who knows. He said he had something to do and he was going to drop me off here while he ran errands. Then he would come back here." She replied.

"Oh okay." I said pouring flour into the bowl.

There was a knock on the door. I wiped my hands on my leggings and opened the door to be greeted by Ruby.

"Hey!" I said hugging her.

"Hey babe," She smiled.

"Nothing around here. My mom and Dad dont know," I said closing the door.

"Yeah of course." She smiled.

"Hey Ruby!" Tyler yelled.

"Hi!" She waved.

"Ruby, this is my friend Bowie," I said introducing her.

"Hi Bowie," Ruby smiled.

"Hi," Bowie said bluntly, sniffling.

"You go to the same school as we do right?" Ruby asked.

"I haven't gone yet. But yes," Bowie said. Bowie was upset. She was fine before,

"Harley is your room clean?" Jenna asked me.

"Uh yeah. Want to help me straighten up?" I asked Bowie and Ruby.

"Sure," Bowie said standing up grabbing her backpack. We all walked down the hall into my room.

Bowie said in the chair, putting on her oxygen mask.

"Are you okay?" Ruby asked.

"Just peachy," Bowie replied. Ruby furrowed her eyebrows, and looked over to me. I smiled and turned on some music.

"Harley can you play my favorite song?" Bowie asked smiling.

"Fine," I laughed. I grabbed my phone and played Antichrist by the 1975. Bowie smiled and fiddled with her sleeves.

"Why do you always where long sleeves?" Ruby asked Bowie.

"Why do you ask so many questions?" Bowie said.

"Touché" Ruby said. I cleaned up my room and then sat down on my bed.

"My Mom texted me. I gotta go. Bye Harley. Bye Bowie," Ruby waved. Bowie gave her a dirty look, smiled and waved. I grabbed Ruby's arm and pulled her into the hall.

"Bowie doesn't hate you, you know that right?"

"Are you sure about that,"

"Listen. Bowie is really sick. She found out last night that she has cystic fibrosis and leukemia. She's really upset. Just give her a chance. Please?" I asked.

"Fine. Bye Harley. Love you." Ruby said walking out.

"Love you too," I mouthed. I turned around and walked back into my room.

"Why were you such a bitch," I asked.

"I'm not in the mood for meeting people. I don't feel good either," Bowie said looking up. She was really pale.

"Come lay down on the couch. We can watch elf, National Lampoons Christmas Vacation, and your favorite,"

"The nightmare before Christmas!" Bowie shouted. She smiled and stood up and walked to the couch.

"You feel alright Bowie?" Tyler asked looking at her face.

"Eh," She said laying down. Tyler walked over and checked her forehead.

"Your freezing. Eat something," Tyler said.

"No I'm okay. I just need to lay down." Bowie said laying down, getting tangled up with wires. Tyler and Jenna both teared up.

"What's wrong?" Bowie asked.

"Nothing," Jenna smiled.

"Did I do something wrong?" Bowie asked.

"No no no," Jenna said sitting next to Bowie. Tyler came over and sat by me and we put on the movie.

•••••

"Hey, sorry I'm late," Josh said coming inside, putting down bags.

"It's okay," Tyler whispered. "And shut up,"

"Why?"

Tyler pointed to Bowie sleeping on Jenna's shoulder.

"Oh. Is she okay? I was worried about her," Josh whispered.

"She was fine. She looked a little pale, but she rested and she was okay," I answered. Josh nodded and smiled.

"Merry Christmas mother fucker" I smiled to myself.