chapter seventeen

i changed up the titles a bit.
Harley
"Rachel Dun?" The doctor called. Tyler wiped his hands on his jeans, and stood up putting his hand on my shoulder. Jenna followed. Josh had ran into the bathroom as soon as we got to the hospital. He felt like it was his fault.

"Hi I'm Doctor Smith. We looked at Rachel's charts and everything seems normal. Well except for the fact that her cancer cells are getting worse. She needs to start some type of treatment as soon as possible. Or, things will get worse," He said.

"Worse? How?" Tyler asked.

"Well, the cancer cells could grow causing the need of a lung transplant, very hard treatment or even death," He said. Jenna's eyes watered up. Tyler gasped. I cried. It was sad.

----

Josh never came back. Who knows where he went. Bowie's room was silent. The only sound was the beeping of the machine and the keyboard clicks of Tyler's phone from texting Josh.

The doctors expected Bowie to wake up in a few hours. She wasn't in a coma or anything. Just sleeping. She was 'tired from fighting cancer.' Pretty suckish first Christmas with your new family if you ask me. Watching your best friend die. It sucked.

When Bowie finally woke up, she looked no one in the eye. As soon as she opened her eye, Tyler jumped up in excitement and ran outside to look for Josh. He called him at least 30 times. Probably more.

She just sat there. Didn't talk, didn't make any sound. Just sat there, staring at the door, waiting for her father to come in, so she could tell him he did nothing wrong.

Didn't exactly happen.

I looked at Bowie. Her bloodshot, glassy eyes, reminded me of Jenna's the night of the accident. When everyone was gathered around me, singing. I thought I was gonna die. But I got a second chance. And I'm glad Bowie did too.

"I'm sorry," Bowies raspy, cracky voice broke the silence, like a knife through wood.

"For what sweetie?" Jenna turned and asked.

"For making you spend your christmas eve in a hospital because of a stupid thing I did. You can go home," Bowie said.

"No no no, Bowie it's okay. Don't blame yourself for this. We want to be there for you. You're our family. It doesn't matter if we have christmas in the desert. As long as we're together that's all that matters," Jenna smiled.

"Okay. I have a question too," Bowie smiled.

"What's up?"

"Do you go to church on christmas?" Bowie asked. We never really were taught about religion at the adoption center,

"Yes." Jenna smiled.

"Can I come?" Bowie asked.

"Of course!" Jenna smiled. Maybe it wasn't too bad.

----

It's been almost an hour since Bowie had woken up, and neither Tyler or Josh came back. We all texted and called Josh, and Tyler called and told us that he was still looking. He said he checked every bathroom, outside, he even asked to make a loud speaker call. He checked home, Josh's apartment, but still nothing.

It was silent again. Everyone was peacefully sitting down, not having to worry about anything.

Until Dr. Smith walked in.

"Sorry to interrupt, but we need everyone back in the room," He said. Jenna nodded, and grabbed her phone out of her back pocket, calling Tyler to tell him to come back to the room. About 5 minutes later he returned. But no sign of Josh.

"Okay, so what we need to talk about right now is Rachel's treatment. So, her body cannot fight this disease by itself, so we do need to look at the option of treatment if Rachel wants to survive,"

He said it with no emotion. Bowie could die.

"So, we should start her on chemotherapy as soon as possible. I would say, the day after Christmas. If you could bring her back then?" He asked. Tyler nodded, and rubbed his eyes. Dr. Smith walked out leaving us in silence again. Bowie started to sniffle, and then she broke down.

"What's wrong?" Tyler asked laying next to her.

"I'm not ready to die yet. I-I know that I've wanted to before but I don't w-want to anymore," She cried into Tyler's chest. He wrapped his marked arms around her small frame as she cried.

We all cried.

Crying was a daily habit now.

----
Everyone decided that Bowie was able to go home. Tyler and Jenna set up her appointment while we walked to the car. They came in shortly after.

We arrived home to see Josh's car in the driveway and all the lights on.

"What?" Tyler mumbled. We stayed in the car as Tyler ran in. I saw the shadows of them talking to eachother. Then they started yelling. I jumped out of the car and ran inside to see Josh and Tyler yelling at eachother. Tyler turned around, his dark eyes asking for help. I looked at the bar, where there were empty beer bottles spread across the table. I pulled out my phone and texted Jenna.

Me: Stay out there with Bowie. Keep here stalled.

Mom💖👱🏼‍♀️👯: Okay. Everything alright?

Me: Yeah me and Dad can handle it.

I put my phone in my pocket and walked over to Tyler and Josh, putting my hands on Josh's shoulders.

"Come on Josh. Let's get you cleaned up,"

"No,"

"Josh, let's go,"

"No! Leave me alone," He slurred.

"Josh, come o-"

I felt a sharp burning sensation across my face.

Josh hit me.