Chapter 34 - Separate Lives

Photo Credit : www.gmanetwork.com

Hi dear readers, I'm introducing a new character in this chapter, who will sort of shake things up a bit. No hate, ok? You should know me by now, my twists are not as they seem so don't jusge the character at face value. 

Also, I'm giving you a glimpse of how they live separately, how they try to cope with the daily trials while still missing each other. We're very near their present timeline, maybe two chapters from now, we'll be back to the Prologue already (YAY!)

Hope you'll like this chapter, it's a transition to the new lives of both Dei and Richard. Like I said, please don't hate just yet, just observe and keep guessing. Enjoy!

February 2017

Richard went down to the hotel lobby to meet Mr. Enriquez, who flew in to do an inspection of the project progress. He was proud of what he and his co- project managers have achieved. They were progressing on schedule and hoped to start the punch list by next month.

Mr. Enriquez was talking to a petite woman with him who looked somewhat familiar. She had light brown hair, was slim and fair. Mr. Enriquez waved him over as he approached, prompting the woman to turn and look at him.

"Richard? Oh my goodness. Small world, fancy meeting you here."

"Sheila.......it's been years."

She hugs him warmly, her arms around his middle while he hugs her loosely with one arm. She notes the wedding band on his left hand and prudently pulls back, but still smiles at him happily.

"Oh good, you know each other. This means working together will be easier." Mr. Enriquez puts an arm around Sheila protectively. "Sheila is my niece, Richard. I need to discuss a new project that both of you will handle."

"Tito, Richard is an old friend. He and I are classmates in Architecture. Best friend ko yan nung college."

They proceed to one of the function rooms being used as a meeting room by suppliers and the project teams. Mr. Enriquez pulls out a chair for Sheila and gets a three paper cups of water for her.

"Time for your meds Sheila."

She brings out a pill case and takes three assorted pills out. She takes them one after another, consuming all the water prepared for her.

"Napagod ka yata. Look, I'll leave you here with Richard so you can catch your breath, ikutan ko na muna yung floors. San si Eddie, Richard? Sa kanya na lang ako magpapasama. Stay here with Sheila, ok?"

Richard contacted Eddie to meet Mr. Enriquez at the elevator. With that, Carlos left them alone, leaving behind an awkward silence. What do you say to a first love, someone you haven't seen for almost a decade? She was texting someone on her phone, giving him a chance to look at her.

She was still the same pretty, slim girl he fell for, when he was merely a freshman in college. She was small-boned and fragile-looking, her translucent skin gave her a frail-looking quality about her. She wore minimal make-up, just some color on her cheeks and pink gloss on her lips. Her long straight hair was loose, draped over one shoulder.

"Do you like what you see?" She asked teasingly, without looking up. He laughed good-naturedly, having the grace to blush.

"Ang kulit mo pa rin, chibi. "

"Ugh. Stop calling me that. Grabe ka bully ka pa rin sakin. How are you Richard?"

He smiled at her, a smile that didn't reach his eyes. "I'm ok chibi. Been in Macao since last year, hopefully until mid-year na lang then I can go back to Manila."