Chapter 12: Runaway Finds Trouble

Tom's POV

Tom's POV

I was working on work still and it was getting late. The candlelight I was working under sent longer shadows than a normal light but I didn't feel like using anything but candlelight. It had a dark poetic feel and I liked watching the flame lick at the wax.

"Sir?" One of the servants ran over to me. I sighed and leaned back in my chair, rubbing my temples and looking up at him groggily.

"What?" I looked up at him. He was practically shaking which I knew wasn't a good sign then. He was struggling to find his voice and finally blurted the words that my mate had slipped out of our room.

I could feel my eyes change to their burgundy red that they did when I got mad. The chair made a loud scraping on the floor as I pushed it back and stood to my feet, looking at the still trembling servant.

"Look for Ella and see if she is roaming the estate. I'll go out and look if she's out in the town. If you find her, keep her in our room. Do not for the love of god let her out of your sight until I get back," I looked at him before he scurried off.

I grabbed my coat and my umbrella before slipping out the door. As I sat in my car, about to go look the streets, I felt more worried than I did angry.

Ella's POV

I was wandering around the city, looking at everything. It was so big and beautiful at night I couldn't see how anyone could stand to look at it in the daytime. I wandered into a bar where I heard a rock band playing. They didn't sound half bad and the lead singer had a voice kind of like Tom's.

"Well hello there, baby doll," I heard a smooth voice from behind me. I turned around and could easily see he was a vampire. He had long sandy blonde hair and a fake spray tan since he couldn't go out in the actual sun.

"Um, hello there," I nodded, trying to keep my adult wits about me. Part of me wanted to run out and not look back until I was safe in Tom's protective embrace but the other part wanted to be out by myself and see how the night played out.

"Can I buy you a drink?" He smiled, scooting closer to me. I winced and pulled away, scooting further from him.

"No thank you. I don't drink. I'm only in here for the music," I looked away as he scooted closer toward me.

"Your mate must not have told you other vampires can tell you're a baby. And that vampires are way more attractive than mortals. This is an extremely exclusive club and you're in normal clothes yet you wandered in like it was nothing," he smiled, wrapping his arm around my shoulders.

"Get off me already. I have a mate and I just wanted a night out to myself," I pulled away from him, glaring.

"You were changed as a teenager. You don't know how vampires work. When you leave the protection of your mate you can be taken by anyone," he said, slightly growling at my attitude. If it's one thing I learned these last couple hours it's that vampires hate attitude, especially from a baby.

"Right. I gotta go," I got up and tried to hurry for the door. Before I could get too far I felt arms slither around my waist and pick me up. "Let me go," I whimpered loudly, kicking and struggling in his tight grasp.

He was dragging me off to a back room when I saw Fred and Eric walk in. I used my baby fangs and bit into his arm, trying to get him to yell out and draw attention to us. He just smacked me in response and continued dragging me. I was tearing up, my child side making me more scared so I couldn't handle the situation as well, when Fred noticed me and ran over.

"Fred!" I smiled widely, starting to struggle in the man's arms once again. He bared his fangs at Fred and Eric and threw me behind him. The boys stopped, not wanting to draw attention to the vampire in the room. I didn't know what would happen if mortals found out about vampires but I was guessing it wasn't good.

"Her sire has been looking all over town for her," Fred glared at the man. He was looking Fred over as Eric snuck behind me and stealthily pulled me behind the bar.

"He obviously didn't take good enough care of her for her to be wandering. He'll lose her. Her blood smelled like roses and she's completely childlike and innocent. Easy prey and beautiful. I bet her blood is sweeter than anything in the world. All the perfect combination," he smirked as he reached to grab me, realizing I wasn't there. His eyes turned red as Eric led me out and Fred found us in an alley close by.

I was petting a pregnant cat as Eric called Tom to say they found me. The cat meowed up at me and I could tell she was a stray by her emaciated frame. Fred pulled me to him so they wouldn't lose me again and I held the cat tightly to me and scratched her chin to calm her down. She immediately molded into me and purred loudly.

As the man had found us Tom's limo pulled up. Fred picked me up bridal style and shoved me into Tom's lap as he and Eric ran in, throwing the door shut as we drove off. Tom grabbed me in a bone crushing hug and held me close to his chest. "Darlin', please don't ever leave my side again. The world is a dangerous place and I can't protect you if you aren't with me," he held me in his lap.

"You're so overprotective but I don't mind. I just got upset when you yelled at me and I wanted to be on my own for awhile. You protect me with your life cause it'd be easy for another vampire to steal me away and you don't want to lose me," I snuggled into him, petting the cat's silky fur.

"I won't yell at you again and I'm not letting you out of my sight because I'm not losing you. Ever. Now tell me about this little thing," he pulled me back into his lap and smiled down at the cat and I.

"I think I'll call her Kibby and she's gonna be a mommy soon. She's homeless so I was gonna give her a safe place to live and have her kittens," I giggled, softly kissing Kibby's nose as she licked my cheek.

"How adorable. Well we're gonna go home. I have tailors waiting for you," he smiled at me and kissed me softly. I looked up at him curiously as he turned on the radio.

"Why do you have tailors waiting for me? You've already hired a bunch and got me a closet full of clothes," I looked up at him curiously.

"You'll see, princess. I intend to spoil you rotten so I never lose you ever again," he smiled down at me, kissing me softly yet passionately.