CHAPTER SIXTY-NINE

My heart raced as 6:30 drew closer and closer. I had changed my clothes three times already. "Rose it's going to be fine. You don't need to wear a dress for a meeting with him." Harley pleaded, as she stared at the third dress of hers I tried on. "Crap you're right, a dress is too much." I muttered. I quickly changed out of it, put on some jeans, and a blue long sleeved blouse. "What about this?" I whispered. She rolled her eyes, yes, you look very nice. But he has seen you at your worst, I don't think he will care-" "Crap it's almost 6:30. You should probably go." She sighed heavily. "I give up." She muttered as she left the head common room. I haven't spoken to Scorpius in a long time, not since the night he stormed off at the cottage.. my heart ached remembering that day, and the days that followed. I had so much I wanted to talk to him about, but I didn't know how to say..  I began to pace around the common room, the fireplace behind me capturing my shadow. It was now 6:32 and he still wasn't here. Suddenly I heard the door creak loudly on its hinges, and I saw the platinum blonde hair I had been waiting for. We stared at each other for what felt like a really long time. "Hey." He whispered. I waved a small hand, slowly. He closed the door behind him, and my heart began racing again. "Um- I made some tea!" I said louder than intended. I went to grab the tea cups, and I knocked over not only the tea, but the sugar as well. "Shit- uh sorry-" I muttered as I scrambled to clean my mess. Suddenly I felt a very warm hand on my arm. "No its fine, don't worry about it." He stated. Chills ran through me as his hand lingered.

I quickly stood up, and went to an arm chair and sat down, trying to hide my shaking body. He sat down at the chair across from mine. "So, what all do we need to discuss tonight." He sighed out loud. My heart sunk, hearing him be so formal. Shaky hands grabbed my notebook where I had our discussions written down. "Well- uh-McGonagall wanted us to plan a dance-" "How are you?" He interjected quickly. I looked up, I could feel my face flush at his words. He suddenly looked nervous. "I'm- I'm okay.." I whispered. He nodded his head. "Anyways, about the dance-" "How are you?" This time I interrupted. We were both breathless, staring into each other's eyes. He hesitated, "I'm fine." He stated. "A year is a long time for an innocent man-" "I don't want to talk about my father." He muttered. "He wasn't entirely innocent. The sentence is- it is what it is." He finished. His arms were now crossed, as he leaned in his chair. I nodded my head. "What happened in potions earlier?" I whispered. He stared at me thoughtfully. "I just don't like sleezebags." He stated firmly. "Whatever he said, he threw you off your game. You are good at potions, I don't understa-" "Rose, let's just talk about the stupid dance we are supposed to plan." He spat. He was now staring into the fire. My heart tightened, and my eyes watered. I quickly stared down into my notes. "Fine." I whispered softly. I could feel his eyes on me, but I was not going to look. I refused to let him see me cry. "Spring and winter are the most romantic, so we should have it sometime there." I stated flatly. "Winter." My eyes tightened at his lack of opinion. "Okay. It should only be fifth years and up. Other wise people will get annoyed at the younger ones." "Fine by me." He muttered. I sighed heavily. "Do you want to just get out of here?" I yelled. His eyes widened at my outburst. "Hm? Is that it? Being around me just pisses you off to the point you can't do your job? If that's the case then by all means please leave, I can do this myself, seems you aren't giving me an option BUT to do it myself!" I screamed. I was now standing up, my journal on the floor. "Why are you so pissed now!?" He yelled back. "Because once again, you are making me do this alone, you always let personal feeling get in the way of our job, and I'm sick of it!" He rolled his eyes, "oh come on! Are you serious right now? Merlin you are always pissed at me for something!" I felt my face heat up, he was just pissing me off even more. "You're the one who snapped at me! I was just trying to help-" "No, you were talking about my father. Which isn't a conversation I want to have at all, let alone with you!" I gasped. "And what is that supposed to mean?" I whispered. My eyes narrowing, searching for the answer in the deep silver eyes that kept darkening. He sighed heavily, and ran his hands through his hair. "It means you broke up with me, and I don't want to see you, or talk to you, because it's physically painful!" He finished. We were both breathing heavily, in complete silence.

"I never broke up with you. You walked out because I hesitated." I stated. He threw his hands up in the air in defeat. "Which might as well have been a break up." I shook my head and dropped my face in my hands. "We need time apart. After what has gone on in our lives, it shouldn't be a bad thing for us to learn to live on our own." I whispered, choking on my own words. I looked up to see Scorpius closing his eyes, and drawing in a breath. "It doesn't have to be a break up, you know. All it is, are two people, who have had a lot of change happen in their life recently, and just need some time apart. To figure things out." I finished quietly. My eyes never leaving his face. His eyes opened and we shared a look. "To figure things out." I whispered. I nodded my head. He nodded his head. "And how do we do our job, without this getting in the way some how?" He muttered. I straightened up, and held my journal tightly in my hands. "Well, what kind of food should we have?" I searched his eyes, pleading for some effort. With a final sigh, "Baked chicken, with a side salad and vegetables. We should also offer vegetarian options for other people." A small smile came to my face. "And dessert?"

As we talked back and forth over ideas, my heart felt lighter. I could breathe again. I knew we both needed to learn to accept our new lives on our own, before we came back to each other completely. We were different now. Different from when we first met. Different from when we first kissed. Different from a year ago. We didn't face any more danger. We didn't face anymore loss. And it was going to take some time to get used to not looking over our shoulder, waiting for the next shoe to drop. But I had a feeling, that when we did figure it out, we were going to end up right back where we started before any darkness entered our world. Young, and hopeful.