CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

The days that followed were pretty bad. Security was tighter then ever in Hogwarts. People were telling Magonagall how they didn't have any freedom, but she has informed us all that we will be alowed to attend a Hogsmeade trip soon, so people's hopes were high. Hugo refused to talk to me anymore, I tried to talk to him everyday but all he says is, "Shove off Rosie." And he walks away leaving me to feel hurt and guilty. But worst of all was Malfoy. During our rounds I try to avoid talking to him. Every time he tries to talk to me, I simply change the subject or pretend not to hear. Yes it seems cowardly but, I was scared. I wasn't sure how I felt about what happened between us. I wanted to close the space between us, I wanted him to kiss me. But why? I hate him! He hates me! We're we caught up in the moment? All I know is that something almost happened between us that night. Things were complicated enough with exams plus the security, and now I need to deal with my emotions? I tried to avoid Malfoy as much as possible, but it was hard when Magonagall demands we spend every minute together to bring "house unity".
"Rose? Are you alright?" Harley asked me as we sat by the fire in Gryffindor common room. We were doing homework and I had been looking into the fire for the last ten minutes. "Hm?" I asked shaking my head to rid my mind of thoughts. "What's up? You haven't been quite yourself for the last couple of days." Harley asked putting her book down and moving next to me. "Oh- I'm fine." I said quickly putting on a smile. I buried my face in my book. "You can tell me, you know. What's bothering you?" She asked again. I sighed and put my book down. "Harley, your my best friend. Id have told you if something was wrong. I'm just tired." I lied. She looked at me suspiciously, "Alright..." Then she went back to her book. I checked the time and sighed heavily. "Time for rounds." I got up and packed my stuff away. "I'll wait up?" Harley asked. "Sure, I'll see you later tonight." And I walked out of the portrait hole, and down the stairs to the library. When I was almost there, I checked around the corner and saw Malfoy waiting as always. But to my surprise his face was buried in a familiar piece of parchment. I walked up to him. Without looking up he mumbled, "Your late." I looked at the parchment. "When did you get that back?" I asked quietly. He shrugged his shoulders, folded the map, and put it inside his robes. "Mr. Potter gave it back to Albus before he left. And Al told me to hold on to it." He said. He gave me a look with his silver eyes that gave me a weird feeling inside. I turned away and started walking. "You know, the first game is tomorrow Weasley. Ready for Gryffindor to lose again?" He asked sarcastically. Trying to keep things semi normal, I played along. "Please, Slytherins going to lose like always." I said confidently. "Yea right, Gryffindor will lose, and Slytherin is going to throw a huge party to celebrate Gryffindors down fall." He sound proudly. I started to laugh. "Yea right! Whenever Gryffindor wins, we're going to celebrate so hard that Slytherin is going to be invited just so we can enjoy your humiliation." I said with a wide smile. "Sad part is, Slytherin would still show up. A party is a party and alcohol is alcohol to us." He said as a side note. We both started to laugh. Things were definitely not normal with us lately. "Whatever Weasley, keep dreaming." And we continued our rounds in silence. "How's your brother?" Malfoy asked in a serious voice. I stopped walking and gave him a searching look. "He's fine." I said stiffly and I started to walk ahead of him. "So when are you going to stop lying to me?" Malfoy said with raised eyebrows. I crossed my arms and narrowed my eyes, "Well if you must know, he's pissed. He doesn't speak to me. He thinks our dad doesn't care anymore just because he works a lot so- yea." I turned around and started walking again. Kicking myself in my head for telling him. "Guys get that way. Whenever there father isn't around they tend to think it's because they don't care anymore." Malfoy said as he walked beside me. I glanced at him, he was looking straight ahead with a blank expression. "Does- does your father work a lot?" I asked, hesitating slightly. Malfoy glanced at me. "Why would you care?" He asked dryly. I thought about it, and realized I do care... No one should grow up without a father... "I care..." I said quietly. He looked at me, then straight ahead again, his face showing no emotion. "Yes, he works a lot. He's spent years trying to fix the Malfoy name. And that takes work." He said firmly. Before I could stop myself I said, "Well your dad was pretty horrible and your family working for Voldimort didn't help much." I clamped a hand over my mouth, regretting what I said immediately. He stopped walking and gave me a look so cold it felt like a bucket of ice had been poured over my head. "You only know what your famous parents have told you." He spat out bitterly. "Your parents were loved by all. Just because my father made a few mistakes-" I cut him off, "Mistakes? That's an understatement! I don't think working for Voldimort can count as a 'mistake' it's amazing he didn't end up in Azkaban actually." I said. "MY FATHER DIDNT GET A CHOICE!" He bellowed. I jumped at how frightening he looked. His silver eyes were daggers, stabbing my eyes with his piercing glare. "He was only around our age! He did what it took to keep his family alive! If he didn't do what he did, it wasn't just him who would suffer!" Malfoy yelled. "Just because you have perfect little famous parents doesn't give you the right to judge mine!" He yelled, still fuming. His pale skin turned pink in his fury. "That's rich coming from you." I said quietly. "Your the one who called my mother, the one who welcomed you to the Burrow, who stood up for you when you came to visit because my father and I didn't want you over, a mudblood. And you say I'm the one who judged? I never did tell anyone you said that. I should have but I didn't. And you never even apologized..." I said quietly, my voice quivering. "That- that was a long time ago. I've grown up since then. I've learned to forget about the prejudice." He said quietly, his deep voice, horse from yelling. "My parents arnt perfect Malfoy. Far from it. But you can't blame me for judging your father, whenever not too long ago you acted just like he use to." I said. "Rounds are done. I need to get to bed." He said stiffly. I nodded my head. He turned around and started to walk down to the dungeons. "Goodnight... Scorpius.." I whispered to myself as I headed back to Gryffindor tower alone.
The next day was filled with buzzing excitement as the Quiditch match drew closer. I walked into the great hall with Harley and we sat down. "Who do you think will win?" Harley said as she poured some orange juice. "It better be Gryffindor." I said. "I know I should be a supportive girlfriend, and hope Al wins, but I also really want to rub it in his face." Harley said, and we both laughed. Then we saw the Gryffindor team walk into the great hall and we all clapped enthusiastically. Roxanne, Dominique, and Brandon Woods all sat around Harley and I. "Wish me luck, Weasley?" Woods asked. I laughed, and gave him a quick peck on the cheek. "Good luck Brandon." I said warmly. He smiled, "Done being mad?" He asked. "Eh" I said sarcastically, Brandon rolled his eyes. "Wait, so who's the new keeper?" I asked. Brandon looked around the table, then pointed towards the entrance, "there he is. OY! Peck! Over here!" I watched in shock as Jake Peck made his way over. "When did you start to play quidditch?" I asked with wide eyes. He shrugged his shoulders, "I figured I'd try out." He said. "Good thing too, I didn't think I'd be able to find a suitable player after you left." Brandon said. The great halls doors opened once more and in walked the Slytherin team, the only cheers came from the Slytherin table, and akward clapping from Harley. We all looked at her with raised eyebrows. "I'm trying to be supportive?" She said. We all rolled our eyes. After a few minutes, it was time for the game. The school made its way to the stands to get ready for the match. As I seated myself down in the stands I looked at the sky to see it was cloudy gray. "That can't be good..." I said quietly to myself. Harley and I were sitting in the highest part of the stands to get a better view, we had a small conversation while we waited for the teams to enter on to the field. "So how were rounds last night?" Harley asked with raised eye brows. "Fine I guess." I said suspiciously. "Why?" I asked slowly with narrowed eyes. Harley shrugged her shoulders and smirked, "no reason, just curious is all." Then we heard loud cheers and boos and I looked away from Harley to the field to see the teams walking on the field. I watched Brandon and a large Slytherin shake hands, mount their brooms and kick hard off the ground. The moment madam Hanker blew her whistle, a large roll of thunder clapped the skies. The dark gray sky lit up with lightening and then went back to darkness. I looked up to the sky and watched as a waterfall started to fall. We were drenched in a matter of seconds. My dark red hair plastered to my body. It was raining so hard I could hardly see the players anymore, only blurred scarlet and green colors. Me and Harley were cheering as loud as we could, attempting to make out what was happening on the field. Even Jordan, who does the commentary, could only say "I think Gryffindor just scored?" The only time we could see through the thick rain was when lighting would strike the sky, and engulf the field in white light. But while I sat in the rain watching the field with squinting eyes, I thought I saw something moving. I was positive actually. Something dark and solid was steadily moving closer and closer right at me... I tried to get a closer look when I suddenly heard, "ROSE! GET OUT OF THE WAY!" And I saw a blur of green with platinum fly right in front of me, and I heard a grunt of pain as Malfoy blocked the bludger from hitting me with his body. Then I heard cheering, and Jordan's voice boom over the stands, "WOOD HAS CAUGHT THE SNITCH! GRYFFINDOR WINS BY 200 POINTS!" I ran down the stands with everyone els in the pouring rain towards the scarlet robes. But I stopped running, I started to look around for the familiar green robes and platinum blonde hair of Malfoy. I saw him holding his arm with a grimace while Albus was pouting next to him. I saw Malfoy look at me with his silver eyes. I could barley see them through the rain. And then I saw him disappear with Albus back to the castle.