CHAPTER FIFTEEN

Rose was training all week long. The training 24/7 was bad enough, but it was hard to concentrate whenever Brandon kept shooting me odd looks. But finally Saturday came around the corner, and the first match of the season had arrived. "Rose you need to eat something." Harley pleaded as she kept trying to shove some bacon in my face. I shook my head. "I can't eat, not unless you want me puking all on the field." She sighed and dropped the bacon. "You've never been nervous like this before, what's up with you?" Harley asked. "I need to win this game! There are too many consequences if I lose." I said as I rubbed my head. "I still can't believe you made that bet with him! I thought you were more logical than that?" Sarah said as her, Hannah, and Harley stared at me with worry. "Well I'm glad she made the bet! It shows she has confidence in our team!" James, who was sitting next to me said. Harley shook her head in silence. And after a few minutes the entire school was walking to the Quidditch field to watch the Gryffindor vs Slytherin game. Whenever I walked into the changing room it was to see my team huddled up, silently waiting. "You all look like someone died, what's with the quiet?" I asked as I sat down with my team. Annie whispered in my ear, "James is freaking out, Fred's trying to calm him down. He seems a bit worried about this game." I looked around and could hear Fred whispering to James behind one of the lockers. I didn't expect James to freak out like this. After a couple of minutes Fred and James came back out and James looked a little green. "Alright team." James croaked. "We need to win this, if we lose it will take a miracle to win the cup this year. You all ready?" We all murmured yes. And we all started to exit out onto the field. But I got pulled to the side before I could leave and before I knew it Brandon was kissing me. My eyes were wide with shock, and when he finally let go I could feel my face heat up. "What was that for?" I asked in a quiet voice. "Good luck." Is all he said before he ran onto the field leavening me standing in the locker room shocked speechless. I didn't have time to ask questions, I had a game to win. I ran into the field where I was welcomed by cheers from the others, and hisses from the Slytherins. "All right now, I want a clean game. Potter, Bailey, shake hands." Said professor Hanker, the quidditch teacher. I watched as James and Derik Bailey (the Slytherin captain) tried to break each others hands. I glanced at the Slytherin team and saw Scorpius staring right at me. Before I good glare at him, we were up in the air. I flew over to the hoops and waited for the whistle to plow. Soon the balls were released and the game was on. Scorpius already had the quaffle and was coming right at me, I readied myself. He threw it to my left and I blocked the ball. Roxanne caught it and made her way to the Slytherins goal hoops. I gave a smirk at Malfoy and he glared back. "Good luck with that boyfriend of yours Weasley!" He yelled at me before flying away. I glared at his back, Brandon was not my 'boyfriend'. I got my head back in the game as the commentary from Cameron Jordan echoed in the stadium. "And Gryffindor scores! 10-0" Roxanne must have scored. The game went on longer then expected, an hour later no one had spotted the snitch yet. It was now 60-40 Slytherin, and I was hoping against hope Brandon would find that snitch already. I saw Danny Davis circling around above me, and I started to feel uncomfortable as he kept shooting me odd looks. I tried to ignore him as Mafloy came at me with the quaffle. I dodged it easily. "And Weasley has the quaffle! Well, one of them does. Can't tell which is which now a days. And she throws, and she scores!!! 60-50 Slytherin!" Jordan's voice echoed in the stands. "And Woods has seen the snitch! Potter and Woods are neck to neck!" I sat on the edge of my broom, yelling with everyone els. But then I suddenly felt a painful sting in the back of my head and everything went black.

"Rose..." I heard somewhere off in the distance. "It's all my fault. I should have paid more attention!..." The same muffled voice was saying. Where was I? "Do you think she will get better soon?" A second worried voice said. Except this one was from a female. "Stop beating yourself up James, we should be beating David's up." Came a third angry, growling voice. James...Harley...Fred. My eyes fluttered open and I saw my quidditch team surrounding me in the hospital wing. I tried to sit up but my head was throbbing. I mumbled a strange sound of pain. "What are you all doing here?" I asked as I felt my head, which felt as if it were wrapped in layers of cotton. My head felt heavy and painful. "David's sent a bludger at you while everyone was watching Albus and Brandon fly for the snitch." Fred answered grimly. "Rose I'm so sorry! I should have been paying more attention!" James was pleading. "My mother is going to kill me." James said as he buried his face in the palms of his pale shaky hands. I forced a laugh, or what was meant to be a laugh. "James, it's fine I'm alive right?" James stood up abruptly, "yea, wish I could say the same for Davids, he's really going to regret this." And Fred and James shared a knowing look with each other. I shook my head, but stopped as it hurt so badly. "No, you don't need to get in any trouble over this." I said. James and Fred nodded in agreement but I could see it in their eyes that they weren't letting this go. Than I sat up so quickly I thought my head would explode. "Who won?!" I asked louder than I should have. My team looked at each other grimly, and Harley had lowered her gaze. We lost. I fell back on my pillows and groaned. "It's okay, there's always the next match." Annie said uncertain. James still had his face buried in his hands as if he were too scared to look up. "When am I allowed to leave?" I asked trying to get off the subject about the match. Harley sat at the edge of my bed, "not for another day, you got hit pretty hard and madam Pomfrey says she doesn't want to risk any fainting spills." I groaned and laid down on the feather pillows. I hated not being able to move. "Good news is that you won't miss school?" Harley said with a tiny smile. I looked around my friends and family and was surprised not to see Brandon. "Hey where's?-" I was cut off by Fred. "If your wondering where your 'boyfriend' is, he's in the dorm room. He took it a little hard when Albus got the snitch before he did." Fred said with his arms crossed. "He's not my boyfriend!" I said a bit too loudly. James and Fred shared a look and I got a little worried. Than madam Pomfrey came out and told them they needed to leave because I needed 'bed rest'. Harley had brought me books to read while I was in the hospital so I was occupied. But while I was reading I heard a chair scrape the floor next to my bed and I turned to face none other than Scorpius Malfoy, who was sitting next to my bed. I gave the best look of disgust I could muster. "What do you want?" I spat out bitterly. Scorpius only stared at me. "What?" I said in annoyance as I put my book down. Scorpius threw a Slytherin sweater on my bed and stood up, "Our bet." Than he turned to leave. When he got a couple feet away he stopped. And I'm almost positive I heard him whisper the words "I'm sorry" and than he left.