CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

The moment I woke up, I wish I hadn't. The back of my eye-lids were a bright orange meaning someone had opened the window and I was laying in a bath of sunlight. I rolled over, which made a horrible pain hit my head. "Errggg." I groaned trying to hide from the sunlight. "Your lucky it's Sunday Rosie, other wise I would have had to cover for you." I heard the familiar voice of my best friend. "What happened?" I groaned. I heard silence, and then, "Well, I don't know the details." I squinted my eyes a little, but wish I hadn't. My migraine got worse by the seconds. "Here, drink this." I heard a thud indicating she put something next to me. I kept my eyes closed as I tried to find the thing blindly. When I found it I drank it all. "What is it?" I asked as I put it town. It tasted very sweet, and a little citrusy. My migraine was slowly starting to feel better, and I was able to open my eyes. I looked around and could see I was on the couch, with a blanket covering my body. I was still wearing the same jeans and t-shirt from yesterday. As I looked around the common room and I saw that the sun was shining in through the windows, and that the floors, (which which were littered with trash and bottles that night) were surprisingly spotless. "Who cleaned?" I asked groggily as I sat up to look around at Harley who was sitting criss cross on the couch across from me. "House elves came around four AM, cleaned up everyone's mess. People are out on the grounds, enjoying the cold I guess." Harley said as she looked at me with an odd expression. "what?" I asked suspiciously. "Do you remember anything from last night?" She asked. "Why? What happened?" I asked, not wanting to think about it. "Well, around two AM, Scorpius came over and told me and Albus that you had passed out. He carried you to the couch and covered you in a blanket." Harley said slowly. "But my question, is why was he so kind? Malfoy is a tool, so why did he make sure you were ok when you were passed out drunk? What happened last night Rose?" Harley asked, staring at me intently. I wish she didn't ask, cause all the sudden memories of last night started swimming in my head. The Q&A, the getting drunk, pillow fight, dancing, and- oh Merlin. The kiss. I grabbed my head in frustration, kicking myself for being such an idiot! "Rose?" Harley asked in concern. "Is your hangover back?" She asked. I almost wish it was, it would help me forget about what happened. "No I'm fine. It's Sunday? Yes... I have homework. I'll see you later." I jumped off the couch and ran upstairs to get my things. After I grabbed them I looked in the mirror. I had alcohol stains on my shirt, and my hair was sticking up in odd places. I changed shirts and put my hair in a pony tail. I grabbed my stuff and ran downstairs, ignoring Harleys questions, and ran out of the portrait hole. As I walked I decided I would go to the library, it being too cold, and me being to lazy to bother going back for a jacket to study outside. I ran down the steps, and as I turned the corner, as always, I ran into someone. "Sorry- my bad." I said as I stepped back to walk around them. "Oh hey Rose." I saw Jake Peck smiling happily at me. "Oh- it's you- hey." I said smiling awkwardly. "Great party last night right?" He said, leaning against the wall. "Yea- it was great." I said quietly. He looked me up and down, "well I got to go." And I ran past him, wishing to not be near him, on my way to the library. Once I got there I sat down in the back, my head buried in a book. 'Forget it. Forget it. Forget it.' I kept thinking to myself. 'Don't think about it.' I continued to think. Then I heard a scrape of a chair, and heard someone sit across from me. I kept my nose in my book not wanting to look up, already having a feeling of who had just sat down. "Not going to ask how I knew where you were?" I heard the unmistakable voice. "I already know. You have your ways." I said quietly, as I continued to hide behind my book. "Are we going to talk about what happened last night?" He asked firmly. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. "I don't want to." I said with clenched teeth, still hiding behind my book. "You don't, but I do." He whispered angrily. "Malfoy, I don't feel like talking about this." I said as calmly as I could, refusing to leave the hiding place of my book. "Rose-" I cut off his words. "Don't call me that." I whispered. He went silent. "You can't hide behind your books forever...Rose." And I heard the chair scrape again, and his foot steps die out. I lowered my book and saw that the seat was empty again, and I was alone. I set my book down, and clamped a hand over my mouth as a sob escaped my throat.
The next day I went back to my lessons, my head held high trying to forget what had happened that weekend. I had a free period so I thought I would take a walk to the library. As I was walking, my books held closely to my body, someone grabbed my arm and yanked me through a passage way in the corridor that I'd never known about before. My stuff fell to the floor and I let out a scream of shock as I was pinned to the wall. Malfoy was towering over me, his arms keeping me to the wall. "Malfoy? What the hell?" I asked glaring at him. "We need to talk about what happened." He said firmly. "Malfoy I told you. I don't want to talk about it. It was a mistake, I was drunk." I said through clenched teeth. He narrowed his eyes at me coldly. "Fine. If I had known you were THAT easy I would have gotten-" SLAP! He stood stock still. He had a giant red hand print on the side of his face. I was shaking in anger, "Fuck off." I whispered. I grabbed my stuff off the floor and ran out of the hall, and to the library. 'Screw him- and- and his insults!' I thought to myself angrily.
As the days carried on, Malfoy and I made no attempt to talk to each other. On rounds we were silent, during the day we avoided each other's gaze, and to my displeasure, Harley was noticing. "Why is it, that every other year, you and Malfoy are totally awkward around each other? I mean fourth year you had a comment to say every five minutes, fifth year you just glared at each other, and this year your ignoring each other? Are you not telling me something?" Harley asked with raised eyebrows. I didn't meet her gaze, "Yea right, I just don't have time for the jerk." I said coldly, not forgetting what he had called me. I had decided not to tell Harley what had happened between Malfoy and I, I didn't think it was worth it. All I could do now was try and forget it all. But just as I had decided I would remove any memory I've had with Malfoy, and that I'd never think of him again, "Rose? Don't you have rounds tonight?" Harley said as she checked her watch. I looked at the time and saw I would be running late if I didn't leave now. I jumped out of my seat, waved goodbye to Harley, and I was out of the portrait hole and on my way to meet Malfoy at the library. When I turned the corner, as always he had his nose buried in that map. I didn't bother to stop, I just walked past him, starting the rounds. I heard his feet shuffling slowly behind me. I hated awkward silences, but his words kept swimming in my head, 'If I had known that you were THAT easy I would have-'. I continued to march fuming, keeping myself as far from him that I could. But as we walked in silence I thought about other things...
"Give in yet Weasley?"
"Well I know this Gryffindor- pain in the ass- was listening in on a conversation that didn't concern her and she almost got her face blown off by a banshee..."
All the memories of us that we're actually fun started to swim in my mind. I smiled quietly at the memory of the Christmas ball in fourth year, we had ended up dancing. But of course, we ended up fighting only moments later. But as I thought of all the good things, I felt a weird sadness inside. I forced myself to think of all the bad things...
"Mudbloods don't count!"
"Egotistical jerks."
"If you ignore her long enough she goes away."
"Maybe if your hair wasn't so abnormally bushy I could see!"
"If I had known your were THAT easy.."
But then...
"Rose..."
"Even Scorpius came to visit you while you were asleep..."
"...I'm sorry.."
So many memories were swimming in my head and I didn't know what to think. I stopped walking and stood in silence, confusion taking over me. I looked up from the floor and looked at Malfoy, he had stopped walking also, giving me a curious look. I looked into his silver eyes. I use to hate those eyes so much, and now I'm not sure what I feel. Malfoy had opened his mouth as if to say something, "rounds are over, better get back to your common room." I interrupted before he could say anything. And I turned on my heal, back to Gryffindor tower alone.