CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE

I kept walking, not daring to look back. I kept walking until I found an empty classroom. I stepped inside, closed the door with my back, and slid down to the floor. I stared blankly in the darkness as my mind was racing. 'He's a jerk. He's nothing but a selfish jerk. You don't care about him or what happens to him.' I kept thinking over and over again in my head. But why do I feel like I'm lying to myself? 'NO! You hate him! Remember what he called you? Remember what he did?' I yelled to myself in my head. I groaned loudly and dropped my face into my hands. "What is going on?" I mumbled to myself. As I sat on the cold stone ground I tried to force myself to stop thinking of Malfoy, but at that moment I heard whispering in the corridor... I put my ear against the wooden door, tying to catch every word that was being said. "Now is the time!" I heard someone whisper furiously. "...no... Not yet. But soon..." I heard someone whisper calmly. As if they had a plan that needed to be followed. "But now is the time to act! We could still catch her-" "I said no! Have patients!" The second voice interrupted the other. I could tell they were both men... But who? Students shouldn't be out of bed! I stood up, shook my red hair out of my face, and was about to swing the door open when I heard the second voice say, "sh! I hear something.... Quick. Back through the passage." I heard quiet and fast footsteps, and then nothing. I swung the door open and looked around both ends of the corridor, but no one was there. "Who..?" I asked myself quietly. Worry started to settle inside my mind. 'Could it have been-? No. No it's impossible! Teachers are guarding every entrance there is in this castle- he couldn't have- right?' Starting to feel panicky, I pulled my wand out and started to walk back to my common room. As I walked I thought about what I had heard-
"But now is the time to act! We could still catch her-"
-But who was her? And who was it that was looking for the mysterious person? Were they students? It couldn't have been Dolohov- no.
"Hinkypuck" I said quietly. I climbed in through the portrait hole. "Where have you been?" Harley asked casually. "Your rounds were over twenty minutes ago. Did you... Get caught up in something? Maybe someone?" She asked with raised eyebrows. "Well on my way back-" she cut me off, "Was Malfoy with you?" She asked simply. I was starting to get suspicious. "No. Why the sudden interest?" I asked slowly. Harley sighed heavily, "Forget about it. I'm tired, and there's a Hogsmead trip tomorrow so we better get some sleep." She said as she started walking up the stairs to the dorm room. I had completely forgotten all about the trip! I've been so caught up avoiding Malfoy I forgot about it! "You forgot didn't you." Harley stated dryly, noticing my shocked reaction. "Maybe.." I said shyly. "I've been- busy with- things." I said hesitantly. She stared at me with narrowed eyes, then proceeded to walk up stairs, I followed. "Whats up with you?" I asked starting to feel annoyed with her sudden moodiness. "Forget it." She grumbled as we stepped inside our dorm. Hannah and Sarah were already asleep. "Fine" I said resentfully, putting on my pajamas. "How are you and Albus?" I asked trying to defuse the tension. She hesitated, "we're fine." She said. "We're going on a date tomorrow actually." She added quietly. "What?" I asked in disbelief. She looked apologetically at me, "sorry! It's just- we've never gotten to go on a real date and all- and we saw this as our chance. You never know when Dolohov might show up again and ruin MORE Hogsmead trips." She said as she got into bed. I went stiff as I thought about earlier in the corridor. 'It wasn't him, that's impossible.' I thought to myself as I got in bed. "Are you mad?" She asked quietly. Not wanting to ruin her fun, I put on the cheeriest voice I could muster, "Of course not! Enjoy your date, I'll go- and- take a look at the shrieking shack or something." I said as a side note, trying to sound as casual as possible. The truth was, I was a little disappointed I wouldn't get to hang out with my best friend, but I can make it work... I hope. I closed the curtains on my four poster bed and laid my head on my pillows, "goodnight." I said quietly. As I laid in the dark, I started to think back to the rounds. I had an awful feeling about what I heard. 'Rose, it's impossible! There are teachers on every entrance in the castle!' A voice in my head said. I rolled onto my back and stared at the dark ceiling. "It wasn't him, and that's that." I said firmly. "Who wasn't him?" I heard Harley ask. Feeling embarrassed, "sorry- no one." I said quietly. I rolled over on my side and pulled the covers closer to me. 'Hogsmead is tomorrow, I'll be able to get out and I'll calm down.' I thought to myself. I closed my eyes and drifted off to sleep.