Chapter 15: Besides, he's got Margaery...

If he thinks I'm just going to drop my job to go talk to him, then he's right. It's my break time, anyway.

I made a jerk with my head, motioning for him to follow me into our 'favorite' alley on the side of the building. 

"Yes?" I asked.

"Um hi." He rubbed his neck as his eyes darted every which way.

"...Hey.." He's acting really weird... and this chicken costume is starting to get stuffy with me talking in it. "Just spit it out Chase. I don't have a long break."

"Are you and Jerkface together?"

"Jerkface? Who the hell is Jerkface?" Who was he talking about..?

"Alexander."

Oh.

"No," It's true. He never really asked me out, and last night was a catastrophe.

Relief was apparent in his eyes as he finally stared straight at me. "Oh great, 'cause I wanted to ask you-"

"Annie! There you are!" My head whipped to the entrance of the alley. Standing there was none other than Alex. Speak of the devil.

"Leave," Chase barked. I turned my attention towards him, surprise at his tone. I mean, I know they  didn't like each other, but the hostility in his voice could seriously kill someone.

"I don't think so. If you don't mind, I need to talk to Annie," Alex had an air of nonchalance as he stared Chase down. They were both about the same height, but it was kind of hard to tell with Alex's messy hairstyle.

I took my chicken head off to better view these guys. "Alex can you give us a minute?" This is getting ridiculous. I want to get back to work. Anything is better than seeing these two argue. If they started a fight I wasn't going to stop them.

"I can but, Annie, this is really important," Alex implored. 

"Don't fall for that crap, Annelise. He's just sorry I got here first," Chase remarked.

"First for what?"

"Yea, Chase. First for what?" Alex joined in.

I was genuinely curious as to what these guys were tal-. 

Oh. ...First to ask me out. 

I felt a sharp pain in my stomach as I realized what Chase was saying. I guess I was just hoping he liked me back. "Is this a game to you?" I asked him quietly, feeling a lump rise in my throat. By far this was the worst thing that's happened to me all day.

"No! Of course not! I'm sorry I didn't mean it like-"

"Just shut up, man. You've done enough harm." 

I looked up at both of them and put on my hard face. I wasn't going to let them know I was hurting. It'll go away soon anyway.

"Harm? Harm to who?" I rhetorically asked, "It's not like Chase and I are going out or anything. Besides, he's got Margaery, right Chase?" I smiled up at him. I know it was a low blow, but I wanted him to feel what I was feeling. 

I'm such a jerk.

"Don't be like this, Annelise," he reached his hand out towards me. 

"Whoa, dude. I gotta get back to work," I picked up the chicken head from the floor and put it on. "Later," I waved back at them, feigning calmness. I just wanted this day to end.

________

EARLIER THAT DAY: Chase's P.O.V

I can't believe I told her. I'm so dead.