Chapter 19: I'm used to it.

I scooted closer to Alex, who still sat stock still at the corner of the van. "Untie me," I whispered softly. There's no way I was walking into an unknown place defenseless.

"But what if they get mad," his eyes were wide with fear, but at least his trembling lessened. Geez, doesn't he watch movies or something? I'm sure there are worser things on there. Then again, this is real life.

"Just do it."

"Quiet back there," the gunman slapped the wire and it sent Alex into another trembling session. 

I sighed in resignation. This is going to be a long night.

~

I wasn't surprised when we reached the same warehouse from Saturday. Was it only Saturday? It feels like months ago. I did research on the brooklyn mafia. I couldn't find much, except that it was supposedly run by a Vincent Russo, but news were kind of shady. I guess no one wants to write news about them. 

And who would? Reporters would be hunted down if they did. 

I knew the Mafia had something to do with this. What I'm still trying to figure out is why they were so adamant on taking Alex along. They could've let him go with a warning. 

The back door opened and I pressed my back to Alex, trying to shield him from anything and everything. 

"What are they gonna do to us?" Alex's scared whisper reached my ear. 

"I don't know. Just play along for now, ok?" I tried to sound reassuring, but I doubt he caught on. The black suit guy reached a hand in to grab ahold of my arm, but my teeth got there first.

"Aargh! You brat!" He came charging in...well, more like, he tried charging in, but his gorged belly didn't allow him to even get in an inch.

"Bobby, we gotta get them in before the girls get here," the fighter spoke from behind him. 

"Well would you give me a hand, dumbass? I can't do this by myself," What a whiny baby. The fighter huffed in annoyance and surged forward, too quick to gain a reaction from me. 

In no time, after repeatedly being shoved to and fro, Alex and I were standing inside the same office I was in just a few days ago. Fortunately, their 'boss' wasn't there. Unfortunately, there were guards with guns standing outside and inside the office. 

It's going to be a nightmare trying to get Alex out of here safely.

This is all my fault. If I hadn't told him to come outside, none of this would've happened. I can't believe I left the house without proper weapons! What was I thinking? Boss will have my hide for this.

Alex clung to my t-shirt from behind; I could literally feel the slight tremor coming from his hand. This whole situation is definitely gonna scar him for life. 

The door opened behind us but I kept my eyes forward. I know if I look at this guy, all hell will break loose. This is the guy who had Alex kidnapped.

"Well, well, well. If it isn't Ms. Williams- oh! excuse me, Annelise," he drawled out. Vincent walked around the room then stood behind the desk, keeping his hands behind his back. "Did you think I wouldn't be able to find you? Granted, you did leave me with a false name."

"What's he talking about? Do you know him?" Alex's whisper echoed throughout the room. I made a slight shake of my head, hoping for the love of all that's good that he'll keep his mouth shut before they singled him out.

"And who do we have here?" Damnit. 

"We believe it's her brother, boss," sounds like the blak suit guy followed us in.