Chapter 28: What have I gotten myself into...

Jason's P.O.V

I kept my eyes and gun steady on the stranger that just dropped Annie. "Don't move or I'll shoot." 

"Hey, man," he made a show of his hands as if to say he's clean, but these assassins are not to be trusted, "I'm not the bad guy here. And I know you're not either, so just lower your weapon." 

"Like hell I will," I clicked the safety on my gun back, "Who are you," I asked.

"I'm a friend of Annie's." he responded.

"I've never seen you around." I thought back to Annie's work and school but couldn't place his face anywhere.

"Who are you?" he asked.

"I'm asking the questions here!" Seriously, I didn't just come all the way over here to get questioned. I MAKE the questions!

"How do I know you're not part of the group that just attacked Annie?" Without blinking he produced a swift gun from his back.

Damnit.

There's not much time. They'll be here in a little bit. "Look, I don't know who you are, but I'm going to have to trust you-"

"Why?" he interrupted.

Stunned, I stopped short, "Why what?"

"Why are you going to trust me?" 

Who is this guy? "I have no other choice. More of these guys," I pointed to the dead Mafia guy near his feet, "are on their way. I need to get Annie away from here."

"Annie already called her Boss to come and clean this up." 

"BOSS IS COMING?!"

"So I'm guessing you work with her," with that he placed his gun back to its place. 

"How did you know?" I asked, genuinely curious.

"Well for one: you're acting like a security guard-"

What. "And how, exactly, does a security guard act?" I asked, peeved.

"Like you." Apparently, a man of few words, "Also, you know who Boss is and you're concerned about Annie's well being." 

"Huh. You're good." I speculated. It's not everyday that I get to meet an assassin face to face. "The name's Jason, by the way." 

"Well Jason," heis eyes widened as he stared past my shoulder, "I think we might have a problem."

"What?" 

The assassin pointed behind me and there stood Chase. 

Chase: my boss's target. 

Holy Shit. Assassin #1 standing right in front of me. 

If I wasn't so scared, I would've been starstruck by his mere presence. I saw his features morph from shock to anger as he looked every which way, his eyes stopping at some of the mafia guys in view.

I stayed still, afraid to even make a move to alert him of me standing near him. I, a puny security guard, rather not get on this guy's bad side.

"Chase, we have to take Annie to a doctor, quickly." 

I turned my head quickly to Annie, still laying on the floor, near her immobile brother. Is she hurt?! Why didn't I notice that? This is such a mess. 

First, more Mafia guys are coming to finish the job their comrades started. Then this guys says Annie called Boss over. Now, the one and only, Chase shows up. What's going on!

Chase surged passed me, a deadly look on his face. He bent down and checked Annie's pulse, "What happened? Why is she laying here?" I gulped as his angry voice raised in volume as he checked on her wound, "Who did this?!" 

"He's dead. She-," the assassin seemed to pause for a second, "I killed him."

"Take her to Doctor Sven on East St. I'll clean up this mess." he stood back up and headed to the front door.

I can't just let them take Annie away like that! "Wait!" I saw Chase turn his mad eyes towards me, I gulped before continuing, "her Boss is coming over he's going to take care of everything."

"Her boss? Why would her boss come over? What does he have to do with this?" his eyes grew suspicious as he stared me down, "Is he the one who sent these goons over?"

"What? No- uh, he would never do that-!"

"Chase, he doesn't know what he's talking about," the assassin interrupted, "He's a security guard from Sector 1." 

"And what is he doing here?" Chase turned his attention back to the assassin.

"I don't know, but he's informed me of more of these attackers coming this way. Also, he's adviced the sector of a clean-up for this house. Don't worry, I'll handle everything."

"Make sure she gets treated. Inform me of changes," Chase nodded curtly and left out the front door.

"I can't believe I'm doing this for her." the assassin whispered lightly, barely audible, as he bent down to Annie's body.

"What are you doing?" I asked, curious about his comment. "And where is he going?" I added as an afterthought.

"Trying to stop anymore blood from coming out." He ignored my last question as he ripped open her stained sweater, revealing a white t-shirt below, which he then proceeded to rip apart too. 

Underneath, Annie had her black weapons holder, halfway ripped from the front, but heavily soaked with blood.

"This thing just saved her life." he murmured as he started wrapping the torn t-shirt around her abdomen. As he completed his task, he turned to me and said, "Chase doesn't know about her, yet."

"What do you mean?" 

"He doesn't know what she is. But I should've told him," he walked to the left and bent down to pick up what looked like a weapon.

Oh, that makes more sense. Chase must've thought I meant her boss at the chicken place.

"I'm leaving her here with you. Have your Boss quickly tend to her. She's lost a lot of blood, a transfusion might be necessary. Also," He wiped the knife, he picked up, on his jeans and placed it on the inside of his pants leg, "Chase will deal with those goons coming over, so don't worry about them." he looked down at Annie, then turned his face to the guy laying near her. "The kid's just fine, I just knocked him out." 

"You what?"

"I'm leaving," he started towards the door but paused before stepping out, "Also, if Annie asks about me, tell her she imagined the whole punch. She'll know what I mean."

I watched him leave. He's a strange assassin.

I walked back to Annie and made sure she was comfortable as we continued to wait for Boss's arrival. What's taking him so long?

At least I don't have to be worried about the Mafia finding me here. 

I should've gotten here earlier. If I had acted as soon as I heard the plan, none of this would've happened. All of these guys would still be alive. All of my bosses's family members sent over have been killed.

Now I have to deal with my boss's soon-to-be son-in-law's wrath. 

What have I gotten myself into...

____________________________________________________________

Author's Note: (sort of edited)

This is a hard chapter to follow, but it's possible! I spent a while on it, trying to make it sound plot-worthy! ^.^ (it's not the best chapter, but it's a needed chapter!)

So what do you guys think? Were you expecting it to be Jason to have shouted in the end of the last chapter? Haha, sneaky sneaky!

<3