4 - He's gone

It’s when Harry is twelve and Louis thirteen that happens the first conflict to make them realise how important, special and precious a friendship like theirs is. It’s in the worst way and for the first time realising this kind of thing they deserved to understand it in a less tragic way. But maybe it was what they needed so that their friendship could grow up, get stronger and so that they could gain more maturity. They’re so young, still, their friendship is so much more than what someone can expect from two kids in their age. Louis never made a friend like Harry, one that in his little head he could think that is so special to the point of not wanting to lose him so it can last and last. Louis was Harry’s first friend, which is something unique and something to make Harry think the same way as Louis. If it wasn’t Louis, Harry would be such a sadder kid… Louis makes him feel comfortable enough to act like a twelve years old and this, since they met.

But that’s not the point now, the point here is how they can help each other in such tender age. Support each other and see when the other needs help.

It all starts when Louis and his siblings have to stay the whole day and night in their aunt’s house on a Saturday because their parents say they need to go somewhere. They don't tell them where they are going and Louis doesn’t show much curiosity about it neither, because he is too worried about how he won't be able to be with Harry and also because he’ll get too bored in her aunt’s house. Then his mother allows him to take his PSP to solve the second problem but he still has the first one, which is the biggest one.

He can’t do anything about it so the day passes so on Sunday their parents appear to pick them up to go home. They look really tired and he is sure he sees his mother crying at her room, late at night. Louis doesn’t know what is going on but he lets it pass until on Thursday his mother doesn’t spend the night at home – which is something he is used to with his father since he’s a doctor but now he doesn’t understand. He asks Carl, his father, where she is going and he says he doesn't need to know, which makes Louis more curious.

He tells Harry about what has been happening on the next day at school and Harry tells him that Louis will end up knowing sooner or later so he should just wait. So it is what he does. He waits and the answer for it comes sooner than he expected.

It’s Friday and Louis is waiting for his father to pick him up. He’s late fifteen minutes which is unusual because he always arrives five minutes before the bell rings, Louis thinks that he might be working today but forgot to call Fiona to pick him instead, but then… he would never forget something like this.

If at least Harry was here he could have someone to talk with but he only had classes in the morning and all his friends are gone as well. Besides, to make matters worse, it’s cold and raining so he has to be sat on the bus stop not to catch the drops of water – bad time not to listen his parents about the umbrella thing.

5 minutes pass and he spots his father’s car. He sighs in annoyance, standing up from the uncomfortable seat and runs towards the car, opening the door quickly “What took you so long? I was freezing out there!” He protests and drops his backpack on his feet while putting the seatbelt. His father doesn’t say a word, not even a Hi or his usual how was your day. He makes a weird face and looks through the rear-view mirror to see his father’s dead expression “Dad?”

“We talk when we reach home.” Carl’s voice is raspy but it’s not his intention to sound mad at Louis

“O-Okay…”

Louis feels like he never reaches home that all the traffic lights decide to turn red, the whole people decide to walk by every crosswalk when their car drives pass and due to the rain his father decides to drive slower than normal.