9 - Smile for the picture

Playlist:

Your call by Secondhand serenade (this is like their theme song)

~*~

It’s Christmas Eve, which means Louis is finally going to turn sixteen. Being sixteen, for Louis, four years ago, seemed to be something big. Bigger than what he is feeling right now. He feels the same he felt yesterday and he is going to spend his birthday the same way he spent last year. When he was eight, he liked his birthday. It was better. Till he turned thirteen birthday. It started to be awful. He didn’t go to Manchester like he used to, to be with his grandfather. He got used to it at some point. But he still feels an empty space inside of him. It’ll probably be there forever.

He doesn’t see himself inviting his new friends to his house to do something. Neither they would like it nor would Louis know what to do. Besides they must be busy with their families. Though, Louis can’t imagine Mickey spending Christmas with his family, the others yeah, Mickey, no. But he doesn’t know the older boy that well to judge.

Of course that before thinking about his new friends he thought about Harry. He cringes with the thought of putting his new friends first. Never. He will never do that.

But Harry usually goes to London to spend Christmas with his family. And if he is not going, like last year, he stays at home with his parents. Harry hates Christmas but that’s one thing Louis can’t help him with. He started to hate it as well.

“Louis! Harry is here.” He hears his mother from downstairs. She’s lucky that the music stopped right in time, otherwise he wouldn’t have listened to her due being using his earphones.

“Coming!” He shouts back and jumps out of his bed.

He hates this times when he has to say goodbye to Harry. He’s already imagining. Walking downstairs and being faced with a sad curly boy at the end of the stairs. They’ll hug each other and Louis will whisper sweet things close to Harry’s ear that only the both of them will know what it is. No one can hear it, it’s their secret. But the words make always Harry feel better and strong. So it’s probably I love you, it’s going to be okay. Call me when you reach there so I won’t miss your voice that much. You’re beautiful and strong. And Louis feels sad when sees Harry sneaking inside of his house again so his parents don’t get to know that he went to Louis’ just to say goodbye. 

“Hey babe!” Louis makes his best to smile at Harry when sees him and yet, it seems like he doesn’t even need to try. Especially this time, he doesn’t see that sad expression he thought he’d see on Harry

“Morning!” Harry grins. He grins and besides his red cheek and puffy eyes, saying I’ve just been crying, he is fine. No really, he is fine.

“Hey, what happened?” Louis is confused, he doesn’t know if he should smile or frown or act concern. Fiona looks at the two boys for a moment before heading back to the kitchen.

“Nothing more. My parents are gone.”

“Gone?” So Louis makes a confused face

“Gone.” Harry nods and Louis’ face is enough for him to add “Not forever,” he chuckles even though it’s not funny. He’s not amused with what is happening and Louis knows it. Even not knowing what the hell is happening “but just for this week. I mean, I don’t know if they’re back for the New Year. But probably.”

Harry starts walking to the living room and Louis follows him. He knows the boy wants to talk so the hall is not a good place to do it.

“Wait. So they went to London without you?”