5 - It's okay

Exactly a year after Louis’ grandfather's death , Harry appears at his door dressed in a big and fluffy coat. Louis already knew he’d come because somehow Harry found the necessity to send a text message to Louis saying that he was going to pass by his house and that they were going for a walk. Harry’s parents bought him a phone two weeks ago and he already has the memory card full of songs from his favourite bands and pictures of him and Louis. The idea of Harry having a phone makes Louis kind of relieved because he’s in the seventh grade and already goes by bus back home – less worries to his parents then – and Louis never knew if he was all right or not so the fact that now he has his own phone gives him the possibilities of him calling Louis if something goes wrong.

That’s all Harry does with his phone basically. He only has his parents and Louis’ number on it even though he only uses Louis’, even in emergencies. So the two boys spend the times when they’re not together talking on the phone, texting or sending weird and comic videos and pictures to each other. 

“Harry? What a surprise!” Louis jokes but already has his coat in hands to dress it. Harry laughs at him and Louis can just notice how much his best friend has changed since the past year. “So where are we going?” He asks walking outside and shutting the door behind him, sliding his arms up on the sleeves from the coat.

He follows Harry who starts walking with his hands on his jacket’s pockets “I thought about… hum, going to the lake.” He answers unsure. After Louis have showed him the place that they’ve spent their summers there and most of their spare time., it’s been a year since they don’t go there because of Louis’ lost. His grandpa brought him there so Louis doesn’t suggest it, neither Harry talks about it. “If that’s okay.” Harry says quickly noticing Louis looking at the wet floor, due the rain that fell last night, in silence.

Louis knows Harry just wants to help. He spent two weeks with extra care towards Louis last year after the funeral. Louis knows that if it wasn’t Harry he’d feel sad for much more time. “No… It’s fine.” So he says finally looking at Harry. Harry smiles back at him and Louis holds his hand as they usually would do, on the way to the lake, when they were younger.

He finds it weird that at the moment, holding hands with Harry since Louis is now almost fourteen and it’s just something boys like them shouldn’t do, because only couples do it. But then he thinks, “He’s only Harry and that never felt weird” so that feeling disappears.

Harry had previously jumped in shock by Louis’ gesture and maybe he does feel weird as well, but if it’s that, he decides to let the feeling go without commenting on it.

They reach the garden as quick as they were expecting and it still looks like the last time they were here. Louis feels stupid for not coming here as often as they becaus because that was kinda their place and they’ve got good memories here. No one comes here – the people from their neighbourhood are too busy to relax in a park – so it’s almost like their hideout.

They walk to the familiar tree and sit down, with their backs rested on the tree trunk, enjoying the fresh air on their faces and not caring about dirtying their pants by the grime floor due the moisture.

The silence between them is still natural even if it’s less common than when they were nine but right now they know that it’s the moment. The moment to be quiet and just appreciate the place.

“Cold?” Harry breaks it and it’s not as usual as it was but Louis is getting used to it and he likes it.

“I’m okay.” Louis replies getting closer to his best friend and resting his head upon his shoulder. The contact between them is often “Just miss him.” Harry knows who he’s talking about and it hurts listening to him saying it in this tone of voice.